PDA

View Full Version : Case/Engine Paint.

imtheslime
08-07-2009, 5:52 PM
I have my motor apart and have been thinking about painting it. What are you guys, and gals using to paint cases and jugs??? VHT, PJ1, BBQ, KFC, UPS, THC???? What works best?
Thanks

Joey
08-07-2009, 6:12 PM
I have my motor apart and have been thinking about painting it. What are you guys, and gals using to paint cases and jugs??? VHT, PJ1, BBQ, KFC, UPS, THC???? What works best?
Thanks

VHT is All I use. Look at my profile pics. the pipes on the booger bike are painted with VHT and they held up great. The shovel engine is all VHT. I stripped all the chrome off of my barge and painted it all with VHT and it is holding up great with over 60,000 miles on the paint (no pics uploaded but I can get some). Cam covers, cases, heads, jugs, rockers. All of it.

Needless to say I like the stuff.

boogieman
08-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I use wood stove paint. It's rated for 1400 degrees, needless to say, if your engine gets that hot, it will be in a puddle anyway lol. I have spilled gas and oil on it too and it doesn't hurt it. It is flat, but gets a real nice sheen to it if you armor all it once (accidentally sprayed it when cleaning seat) Here is a pic:

imtheslime
08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your input. Both of your examples look really good, now I just have to make a decision.

bwleather
08-12-2009, 9:06 AM
Years ago someone told me you could go down to the local Yamaha dealer & get thier case paint in a spray can. Said it was some tough shit. Never got to try it myself, but worth looking in to.

BW Hand Tooled Leather (http://bw-leather.com)

+BLACK FUZZ+ (http://blackfuzz.blogspot.com)

Robhall
09-03-2009, 9:59 AM
I have heard that painting an originally non-painted engine can cause it to run hot or even overheat. Any truth to this?

JaySco
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I have used Duplicolor hi-temp paint in the past and was pleased. Stood up to heat, gas, and oil.

imtheslime
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I'll have to check it out Fuzzy, I need to seal some case halves as well and was planning on using yamabond.

Robhall, I have heard similar opinions about painting cases, I will probably end up only painting my cylinders.

Jaysco, did you cure/heat cycle the dupli like vht? Did you use a primer or clear with it?

Thanks all.

JaySco
09-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Jaysco, did you cure/heat cycle the dupli like vht? Did you use a primer or clear with it?

I don't know what the hell your talking about, a cure process might have been in the manufacturers recommendations somewhere, maybe you should check into that. I cleaned the motor the best I could, painted it, and ran with it. No primer or clear coat.

MIKE47
09-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I've done a bunch with the VHT. Wrinkle, gloss, semi, all good results. Clean it nice and no primer. The wrinkle will cover dings and pits very well. Never had any issues with peeling either.