PDA

View Full Version : '72 cb 500- The Beginning

01-16-2010, 11:51 AM
So, after a failed attempt to hardtail my '74 cb 550 myself, I picked up this 1972 cb 500 four last summer from a kid off CL, he had no idea what-so-ever about motorcycles, thought he wanted one, so he bought this one, rode it twice, then sold it to me for 600 clams. It was almost completely stock, except for the usual 1970's stuff people did to hondas, you know, 16' rim spoked to the stock hub (which I totally dig), twisted chrome z type bars, and a double stack rectangle headllight kit that was hideous. I have a shit load of parts from the aforementioned attempted 550 build, so far, I've had the 16'' rear and the stock 19'' front rim powdercoated, I already had a new stainless spoke set for the rear, so it's already laced, and I'm waitin on the front spokes to arrive. HWC, which I'm sure all Chop Cult regulars know, has the frame right now, workin his magic on it, nothing spectacular, just a new hardtail section, no stretch, or rake,new oil tank for the wiring, and a pimp-ass biltwell seat mount. I got a sporty tank, (I know, how cliche') I modified it a little, it's the reason I'm building this bike, I've had the tank done for like 2 years with nothing to put it on. I'll post pics of the project as soon as I can figure out how to on here. Should have the frame back in a few weeks, any input from all you rejects out there in chopland that I consider "my people", would be greatly appreciated.

Jashole
01-16-2010, 12:14 PM
good luck man! and im looking foward to your update.

bigdaddy
01-16-2010, 1:56 PM
i search craigslist all the time looking for a find like that. sweet. good luck.

Jashole
01-16-2010, 6:18 PM
good luck man. im looking foward to the updates.

01-17-2010, 2:11 PM
Hey freaks, finally figured out how to post some more pics, here's a couple I took after I stripped the thing down, and two of the tank that I mentioned before, the filler neck is brass, and was taken from a 1939 Dodge gas tank, (or so I was told). By the way, the sight gauge is not a kit like you can buy these days, like I said, I did this tank like two years ago, what you see there is the result of trial and error, and about 15 trips to Home Depot to get different plumbing fittings, it tested air tight, hope it holds up on a rigid frame. lemme kno what yall think.

02-04-2010, 7:26 PM
Hey guys, just got these pics from HWC a couple days ago, super stoked about the look of this thing so far!

born2boogie
02-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Love those bars. If you wanna git rid of em, let me know.

turtle
02-05-2010, 1:27 AM
those are bulletproof

02-05-2010, 5:40 AM
Love those bars. If you wanna git rid of em, let me know.

Yeah, I'm not completely sold on em' yet, I may go with something lower, if I get rid of em', you'll be the first to know.

junkyard2
02-05-2010, 7:33 AM
sweet looking bike....keep the pics coming

steviemonster
02-07-2010, 4:42 AM
Like your project bud!! im on with a 400 four at the moment....hardtail...drop bars..sporty tank....they look good!!! My brother in law says the hondas are good bulletproof motors too.....i hope so!!! Good luck with the buidl bud x

steviemonster.blogspot.com

01-18-2012, 7:54 PM
Okay, so has it been a while? I think it has, 2 years to be close to exact. Sorry, I've had some living to do, ya know, drinking, partying, riding my balls off, and..........having a son !!!! Anyway, I've recently been tearing my scoot down after the weather here in the Ohio Valley has cooled down some. I got a new tank, and which really fits my bike well, I have a chance to buy some 6'' over forks, but I'm not sure if they'll look right, what do you guys think? The first pic is with stock front end, and the rest are how it would look with a 6'' over front end

livingdeadmc
01-18-2012, 8:31 PM
If ur gonna go six over u need a sissy bar and some apes to tie it all together....I like the look with the stock forks looks nice and clean with the forks extended it looks unfinished or confused lol. In the end it's yours do what you want.

tomz
01-18-2012, 9:06 PM
Really nice looking hardtail. Did you build it from scratch? Awesome build!!

01-18-2012, 9:21 PM
@Livingdead, you're absolutely right, if I keep a longer fronted, I'm thinking king/queen seat, and sissy bar you can bungee a tent to. @Tomz, I can't take credit for the frame, the front is factory Honda, the hard tail is a HWC original, I told him what I wanted, he made it happen, check him out if you're looking to have some fab work done, he's good.

livingdeadmc
01-18-2012, 9:49 PM
I'm all about it either way bro. You put together a killer ride can't wait to see some updates and I love me a K/Q seat!

01-18-2012, 9:55 PM
I'm all about it either way bro. You put together a killer ride can't wait to see some updates and I love me a K/Q seat!

Well, you're no help, lol. More pics soon, got to get to some grindin' to make that tank fit.

oldscool
01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Good to see another 500 in the works. I've had a 72 for a few years now and I've changed directions on it more than most men change their underwear. One of these days I'll get'er done.

01-27-2012, 6:31 PM
Just a few small update pics, got a top hat bung to mount my tank, and I gotta say, that thing is like cheating, really too easy!! Hopefully this weekend I get around to tabbing up a new coil bracket for under the seat, and working on shining up the engine cases a bit.

Al
02-23-2012, 6:12 AM
Bike looks really good, ive got a 500 and a peanut aswell, just wonder is it safe to grind down that "edge" on the frame between tank and seat? Im thinking since its stamped steal construction thats hollow and the "edge"seams to be the weld of 2 pieces?? i wanna get rid of it to.

Skyhigh88
02-23-2012, 6:51 AM
Nice lOoking scoot...good day to look at some non hd bikes...what doing with paint?

HWC
02-23-2012, 7:00 AM
lookin good Al,, i was internetless :eek: for awhile after i moved the shop this winter,,,glad u found a tank,,,its hard to keep up,do biz on a dumb phone...lol got all that shit straightened out finally,,gettin back on track.....

yep,,,i built this frame an a faux oil/lectric bag for it..thats the one they lost the end off it durin shippin i think...

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/hillbilly750/AlPriddy/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ12

fittin tanks on the stamped backbone,, i wouldnt grind all that rib off,,on his ,,i ground off about 6" of it ,,,an welded it back up flat,,,be carefull an dont get into the flat part...seems to work well,,ive done several ,,,gimme a yell if u need any help

http://hwc-hillbilly.blogspot.com/

call/text: 540-352-0402

Al
02-24-2012, 7:44 PM
thanks HWC.

Ok, got it
ill send you an email for some tank mount tips so i dont hijack 502s build thread with my questions...

HWC
02-25-2012, 8:28 AM
ok man,,did u find another way to ship your frame over here???
email me

blacklungky
04-16-2012, 3:03 PM
did you build the hardtail or purchase another weld on?

HWC
04-16-2012, 7:36 PM
i built/hardtailed the frame..

Ogoki
04-16-2012, 8:42 PM
Looks great, 502! Is that still a 19" wheel up front? I can't decide on 19" or 21" for my CB450. 21s (and 23s!) can sometimes look clowny on a smaller bike. Yours looks good.

HWC - What's the stretch and drop, if any? I read the original post, but it looks like there's a tad of each.

swinewerx
04-17-2012, 3:59 AM
that's right! HWC does do great hard tails!! keep it up HWC, I will be posting one I have been doing, and I think nit is the best out of all of my attempts!!! there is one thing for sure though!! after my weldong is all done, the leather comes in, and hah ah!!! that is the best icing of all!!!

HWC
04-17-2012, 8:45 AM
Looks great, 502! Is that still a 19" wheel up front? I can't decide on 19" or 21" for my CB450. 21s (and 23s!) can sometimes look clowny on a smaller bike. Yours looks good.

HWC - What's the stretch and drop, if any? I read the original post, but it looks like there's a tad of each.

zero stretch an 1"drop an hes runnin 19" front or was...

03-03-2013, 7:16 PM
So, lives been a little hectic to say the least, but I'm finally freeing up some time to wrench on my scoot! I picked up a pair of 6'' over fork tubes a while back, and slid them on the other day to see how they'd look. What do ya think? I'm not real happy with them, because my frame has no stretch, I think stock length forks looks waaay better. So, into the ever growing parts pile they go:banghead:

03-03-2013, 7:24 PM
Once I lowered the front back down, I realized I needed to move the sissy bar forward a bit. It's kind of a work in progress, but I think it's in the general direction I wanna end up. I wanted a ring on top, so I tie or bungee a tent, bedroll, or jacket to it if the need arises.I couldn't find a ring in 1/2'' round stock, so I bent my own.

Al
03-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Ill buy the 6"over tubes of you if you want to sell them, or swap for other parts??

03-04-2013, 4:09 PM
Shipping would be pretty expensive, wouldn't it?

hutch73
03-05-2013, 3:57 PM
really diggin' this build. i think is challenging to make a hardtail 500/550 look good, but you've done it. i think the stock tubes look better. btw, what headers are those?

03-05-2013, 5:55 PM
Thanks for the love Hutch, I like the stock fork legs too. I'm not sure as to make of the exhaust, it's just 4 straight pipes, used to be slash cut on the ends, with baffles, but they got rusty, and I cut them all off straight, and jerked out the baffles, still not that loud though. Id really like to find a set of stock 4 into 2's for it, something I can slip-ons onto.

Salty
03-06-2013, 6:12 PM
i personally like the look of the 6 over. but thats personal "lean back" preference.

HWC
03-08-2013, 8:39 PM
cant decide,, lets build u another frame an we'll take another look at it ,, side by side..:D

03-11-2013, 7:31 AM
Lemme get this one finished Hillbilly,and then we'll talk about another frame:)

JamesM
03-14-2013, 9:52 AM
I like it, it's hard to make a four cylinder look good hardtailed. I'm into the zero stretch hardtail.

03-14-2013, 6:25 PM
I always liked this frame, ever since I got it back from HWC. The short, stocky looking stance suits me and is super comfy to ride, even a couple hundred miles in a day, I've been toying with a right side suicide shift, I'll post pics soon, if I can get it all straightened out!!!