PDA

View Full Version : Triumph/Norton girders, made in India?

Speedfiend
01-15-2010, 7:19 PM
I've been lookin for a girder for a while. Came across these on ebay. Price is right(.$345-390) Gotta be too good to be true. Description says brand new!. looks like they ship from India. Anybody now anything about them? Sorry I don't know how to post the link directly to the auction, but they're right near the top..
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m39.l1311&_nkw=girder&_sacat=

Jethro
01-15-2010, 8:10 PM
Man you have posted a can of worms here. Meaning... ok. The seller has less than a 1000 feedback inputs, although he is RIGHT at my personal cutoff for ordering from someone, 99.2% !!!! I spent a LOT of time in India. I will tell you some things I found to be true. Quality control is very poor, yet they have an amazing ability to machine things, or DUPLICATE things, kind of like reverse engineering. My biggest concern would be the quality of the steel, since I have seen them make things out of malleable metals with great ease, but struggle with steel. Often the machine tools that actually CUT, or forge, or make a bearing are old, and being massaged to produce a part.

The price of failure in this part is often ULTIMATE... meaning a one time non returnable error, where the you get to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is just my opinion here. And once again, these may be a shit hot part, but I would find an owner or two first to question.

If I were you, this is how I would approach it. I would contact the seller and ask him to provide the names and phone numbers of at least three recent customers in this country and I would actually give them a call. You know he is probably selling these here. And you know that real builders love to talk to other builders.

Speedfiend
01-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks Jethro, thats solid advice. I've heard mixed reviews of Royal Enfields and other things from India(that leak oil and make very little hp). But since the style is exactly what I'm lookin for, I guess the real question is how would these repops compare to an 80 yr old original? I'm thinking either way, I'll prolly have to re-do all the pivots,make a new stem and maybe replace the spring with a modern unit with dampening control. Was metalurgy/casting technology any better in pre-war England? Is the design worth a shit to begin with?

KT
01-16-2010, 5:27 PM
You are correct those are coming out of the fact India was repoppin Royal Enfields ...I seen these too would love to run a girder and with that price it is doable ....But shoddy workmanship and metal could make for disaster ...I'd move along till I found the real deal or a well known company making repops ..This is the reason I am not running a girder hard to find a good one and expensive when you do ...

rk378
01-16-2010, 5:31 PM
i think it is like any thing "else you get what you pay for" i personally do not skimp when it comes to tattoos or motorcycle parts

Jethro
01-16-2010, 5:37 PM
Its funny you should bring up the Royal Enfield, MAN I SAW A TON OF THEM over there. And, I will say you would not believe how awesome they are at keeping those bikes running (I'm talking the old machines now...) I once went to a bizarre over there called the "Beggars" bizarre in Mumbai, and it was filled with motorcycle parts, both repop and NOS and those "home made" replacements I was talking about earlier. I probably would have brought the girder home in my suitcase if I had found one, and was confident of the part. I am NOT saying this is not a good deal... If it were me, I would do what I mentioned... call a few buyers here in the states. Heck, you might open up a new source for many of us here wanting to run a girder. I'm going to post your link on another site I use a lot and see what feedback I get. I'll let you know more in a day , k?

Jashole
01-16-2010, 7:17 PM
i think it is like any thing "else you get what you pay for" i personally do not skimp when it comes to tattoos or motorcycle parts

definitely!

01-29-2010, 7:15 AM
picked up on this thread a little late; i've been in touch with a 'seller' in Asia. He deals in Triumph/Matchless original parts, with odds and sods up to early 60's.

He's mentioned in mail that he has supplied triumph 3HW girders to a US buyer.

he also claims that he can supply chrome and paint v' cheap.

i've not bought anything from the guy but he is helpful . I'll ping re girders and see what feed back I get.

Speedfiend
01-29-2010, 7:58 AM
^^^ Hey, cool!^^^Let me know what you find out.

revmike
01-29-2010, 8:17 AM
I'm with Jethro. THe Pakis and Indians are great copiers. They can reproduce shit by hand that is often difficult to tell from the original. But the history of that is they could never get the originals or parts, etc at a price they could afford. Labor is cheap. So I'm not sure there would be an issue of fitments (maybe) or how it looks, I would be more concerned with the underlying quality of the metal, which the manuf may not know for sure.

Keep studying because we are all interested.

~Rev Mike

TRUMPNUT
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Those are probly made from the original tooling . rember Engand owned India and when they left they gave them all of there outdated manufacturing so they could be self reliant .
If i bought one I would just "prick test" the stem pivot because that is were themain load is . if anything else fails it would just bend and you see it .

I really get tierd of guys saying you will die ! I have had necks break off while riding and you know what happens . the engine cradle falls to the ground and slides to a stop . Mind you it was not at high speed and I was trying to show the guy how dangerous the rake job was . I'm just saying if you are a comatant rider then you can feel and just know when something aint right .

BillySlicks
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
First off, the Enfields that are coming out of India are not Re-pops.
They are Enfields plain and simple. Royal Enfield is the longest running production motorcycle company in history because of how the deal with India went down.

Its because India asked Enfield if they could produce 350s for their army and police force, after a short while Enfield shipped them machinery and plans and India starting making their own. Long story short when Enfield was going tits up in Britain, India had 51% control of the company by this time and the last of the equipment went to India.....

This doesn't mean they are shit bikes, some models are. I have witnessed engines on some needing to rebuilt after 5k and the cases being cracked and finding sand in them.
The 500cc bullet is the stable pony that is good fast and reliable according to the reviews coming out of Britain. Shit they are doing a clubman version this year with fuel injection.

As far as the girders, I did some poking around and asked a few questions.

1. the quality is not perfect but some guys in England are running them and having no issues, whereas I was told that they are not consistent. Meaning that they have heard of them failing from time to time. Wether thats because they are hand made or not, I don't know but it would make sense.

2. Running a girder that is made in a country that has different manufacturing and safety standards than N. America is always a gamble. We have the luxury of being able to ride hard and fast, where as in India and places alike a motorcycle is usually small cc city transportation, or a country road putt putt....

01-29-2010, 2:41 PM
OK, I'm going to stick up for my contact; he's just come back saying he had two sets of girder forks and they went out to the US.

I understand the concern re 'duff'' parts, I've been supplied with those from sources in the UK!!!

The prob' I think is that despite most here seeming to have a bit of nouse, if you buy in goodwill and someone supplys a bit of 'toffee/not fit for purpose' the headache to remedy is more than it's worth.

Maybe we should use the facility of this site to flag up concerns when appropriate; if that meets with the approval of the mod's?

KT
01-29-2010, 4:21 PM
[QUOTE=BillySlicks;36131]

This doesn't mean they are shit bikes, some models are. I have witnessed engines on some needing to rebuilt after 5k and the cases being cracked and finding sand in them.
The 500cc bullet is the stable pony that is good fast and reliable according to the reviews coming out of Britain. Shit they are doing a clubman version this year with fuel injection.

Hrm sorry that sounds weak kinda like I only beat my wife on tuesdays and thursday but I am not a wife beater...cause I dont do it on friday ...

as far as your gonna die well go down a 4 lane highway doing 65 and let the front end snap and go funky on you and the 25 cars behind you dodge and try not to squash ya ... Yea you should know your bike so well that soon as you get on it you can tell something isn't right ... but I guess the people driving toyota's should have know their cars well enough to know the throttle would stick on them ....

What I am trying to say is yes most of us are a cut above your average backwoods mechanic but shit happens and you have to be careful what you intrust your life too....and also this is a example of how to make a mountain out of a mole hill don't take things people say so literally disaster can mean alot like hey you might lay your bike down and fuck it up wouldnt that be a disaster.. sure would to me...

The big shame of it is that our economy and working class is cut down to debt collecting and being greeters at freaking walmart instead of pushing out good iron and other needed things...

I try to not be pissy but guess it's a bad day ...
end rant ....

01-29-2010, 5:24 PM
KT - you are just telling how it is, no need to apologise(sp?)
It's business, the market demands higher skills and neglects the artisans.
When the light switch don't work , at least as we can find fuel we shall be having fun tooling on our machines.

TRUMPNUT
01-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Lots of the parts you get tor rebuilding old Triumphs come from India .

Even those Original girders could be harry they way we ride now days .

KT
01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
That's the reason you have to becareful who you buy from and what you buy.....To me a springer or girder is for looks not functionality ....If springers and girders were the end all of forks well we wouldn't have all the new styles ....... I love the looks of a old girder and you are correct anything that has been around for 50 years probably is gonna have problems hell I have only been around 35 years and I got shit loads of problems LOL ......

With that said I would still have more faith in something made 40 years ago over a front end made in a damn near 3rd world country .... but that's just me .... I recycle parts only things I buy from manufactures is gaskets chains cables stuff that you can't rebuild or fix ....If I need forks I rebuild old ones...That way I know what I got ....