PDA

View Full Version : The Band Wagon

Nienaber
01-15-2010, 4:31 PM
After reading through some of these threads, I have a question that I am curious to see responses on. This will be difficult to word correctly, but here it goes: If you were into some particular style or brand for reasons that were genuine to yourself... Then others began to follow suit, until one day it became a fad or the proverbial "Band Wagon". Then the mear fact that "posers" were getting on the Band Wagon, because it was the "Thing" to do, made you want to discontinue your involvment. Would the separation of yourself from the origional brand or style (getting off the now band wagon) make you guilty of the very same 'social crime' that the posers made by getting on?

(if only I got mileage per "quotation mark")

slumchop
01-15-2010, 6:37 PM
After reading through some of these threads, I have a question that I am curious to see responses on. This will be difficult to word correctly, but here it goes: If you were into some particular style or brand for reasons that were genuine to yourself... Then others began to follow suit, until one day it became a fad or the proverbial "Band Wagon". Then the mear fact that "posers" were getting on the Band Wagon, because it was the "Thing" to do, made you want to discontinue your involvment. Would the separation of yourself from the origional brand or style (getting off the now band wagon) make you guilty of the very same 'social crime' that the posers made by getting on?

nope, I wouldnt say it made you guilty in any way, rubs bother me so much that, i considered never buying a harley for that simple reason. dont mean to offend anyone, but i was so tired of seeing the yuppy on his sunday harley with every bolt on chrome blingy and tassles and frills, that it was a total turn off, i got an HD now and i love it, but if you really love the style and look of something put it on the back burner for a while, it will fizzle off the band wagon and you can go back to it being yours.

NHMike
01-15-2010, 6:40 PM
I was just talking to a buddy at work about that very thing. We both agreed that it's going to be awesome when the type of bikes we LOVE aren't cool anymore, shit will be SO much cheaper! hahahahaha

It's just the band wagon making a pit stop in Chopperville. It won't be long before we're looked at sideways at the local biker bar.

The REAL question is, is what's next? Scooters? hahahahahahahaha Sorry scooter doods.

imtheslime
01-15-2010, 6:42 PM
I think you just jumped on another band wagon by starting this thread.

kingdeadbeat
01-15-2010, 6:51 PM
" I have this friend who thinks he has genital warts...it's not me, but he was wondering..."

Its okay if you feel like a newby poser, we all gotta start somewhere...

lol

steffan
01-15-2010, 8:38 PM
I think if you like something and are true to yourself then its all good. but if you do or change something to make other people like it then you suck! I like hd bikes but hate the posers who buy and never ride their bike because they will get their new $100 chrome engine bolt covers dirty. or the people who chastize other hd owners for putting non hd parts on their bikes. you won't believe how many people talked shit about me when I put a 1932 tail light on my bike. if its your bike and you make it how you want it that's cool. fuck everyone else and what they think you should do with your bike.

Zooligan
01-15-2010, 9:01 PM
The surfer rides the edge of the wave, but can never get too far ahead of it. And it ALWAYS follows, or worse yet, passes one on the leading edge..

NeoDutch
01-15-2010, 9:13 PM
It's why I like ugly quirkily things that unknowing hipsters like to rag on. Like AMF Sporties, FXR's, Arlen Ness bikes and TL1000S's.

NeoDutch
01-15-2010, 9:18 PM
Just a minute, I've gotta nip over to the Junk Pile to jump on the "I Hate Billy Lane" band wagon.

revmike
01-15-2010, 9:35 PM
I liked Barbara Mandrell before she was cool and had a tv program... I liked Captain America when he was just a cartoon.... I liked Coke before it was Classic Coke... As far as women go, I rarely get to enjoy one that hasn't been part of a band wagon.... or wagon train... I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

~Rev Mike

calicruiser
01-15-2010, 9:50 PM
who really cares? (I am being serious), not tryin to offend, but honestly if you are doing something or like something because YOU dig it, what does it really matter what anyone else is doing?

billdozer
01-16-2010, 12:45 AM
It's why I like ugly quirkily things that unknowing hipsters like to rag on. Like AMF Sporties, FXR's, Arlen Ness bikes and TL1000S's.

Here's to that.

Just have fun, ride a motorcycle, share it with like-minded people if you feel like it, and disregard the rest.

Earthbender
01-16-2010, 9:44 AM
I think you can be "guilty" of jumping on a band wagon, but no one will ever rag on you for being a trend setter. I'm 38 and I wore cons since grammer school because that's all I could afford. Now I only wear them to cut the lawn since they became a fashion statement. My buddy is a jail guard and he brings me the sneakers that inmates wear. Hell it's free. Now it looks like they are the new fashion statement. But theyre still free so fuck it, I'll keep wearing em.

The only guy who could be guilty of the Double Band Wagon Reverse would be the guy who made front fenders cool again. I think I just threw up in my mouth.

jason43
01-16-2010, 12:34 PM
There are only a handful of guys in my area into homebuilt chops of any type and we mostly know each other. Hell there really arent too many people in the 30ish age group who have stock bikes and arent yuppies around here.

The only 'scenester' shit I see is on the internet, where no matter how cool you are, you arent cool enough.

The funny thing with this 'period correct' bullshit is that if you really look through old pics, the fenders werent mounted perfectly, the parts were scrounged and didn't match perfect, etc.

speedy
01-16-2010, 1:27 PM
wait...so are front fenders cool, or not?

speedy
01-16-2010, 1:32 PM
But for real now...did people even have these conversations before the internet? Who gives a shit what others are runnin. I'm pretty sure pretty much everythings been done before anyways...oh wait we could flip ape hangers upside down...knuckle draggers we'll call 'em.

Jashole
01-16-2010, 1:45 PM
this social crime of band wagoning is fucking dumb. the only social crime is having to think about it. i say who gives a flying fuck. do whatever the hell u want. be happy.

bigdaddy
01-16-2010, 1:54 PM
yeah, i guess i don't really care what everybody else is running. i drove a geo metro for 8 years, and i don't know that it will will ever be cool. i loved that damn car. i do know that i'm getting real tired of everyone spray painting a bike black and trying to sell it as a bobber or rat rod. i guess "shitty old bike" doesn't really grab very many peoples' attention when you're trying to sell something, so they dress up the name and try to make it something it isn't. my taste changes every now and then, but it's just because i get tired of things like everyone else. that's why my bikes are always a permanent work in progress.

StoneHead
01-16-2010, 3:31 PM
This wave will crest and the trendy's will move on to the next.

It started with big customs ( I hate calling them choppers), then baggers, then bobbers, next,
who knows and really who cares.

Just do what ya love and fuck the dumb shit.

Hell, I been hackin up lil jap bikes since I was a shop rat and just found out they call em brat bikes now. Go figure.

The point is, if you wrench and chop your own, then your no trendy. Your one of the few who actually knows what the deal is and can laugh at the folks who pay to play because that type of ride is "cool".

Don't get me wrong, I have brothers who couldn't turn a wrench on their bike to save their life and I don't fault them a bit, but at least they buy for ride and comfort, not fad.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

geekdublD
01-16-2010, 5:55 PM
i hopped on the bandwagon and it brought me to the chop cult. no shit.

SmittyFXR
01-16-2010, 8:41 PM

Wait- so TL1000s and FXRs are ugly and quirky?

Shit.

My FXR's a shovel, so that must make it even quirkier. Now I'm really pissed.

Seriously, though, find the shit you like and do that shit to the maximum, most ridiculous extent possible. Worrying about what other people like or what other people are doing is not art.

I actually saw a no-shit, for-real bandwagon the other day. It was being pulled by a full hitch of draft mules. There was nowhere near enough room on that thing for all the people we seem to be worrying about.

beanhead78
01-16-2010, 9:14 PM
me: trendsetter since 1978. yeah i was wearin vans too.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/beanhead78/scan0018.jpg

beanhead78
01-16-2010, 9:19 PM
im tryin to start this one right now. instead off chaps, kilts. anyone else down?
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/beanhead78/easter046.jpg

jason43
01-17-2010, 9:00 AM
^^^^ I'm liking that CB. ^^^

shanebo
01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah, so I bought one of those Foundry Jesus lights.
Now that everyone else is getting theirs, I kinda don't want mine anymore.
Am I a poser?

Zooligan
01-17-2010, 10:52 AM
im tryin to start this one right now. instead off chaps, kilts. anyone else down?
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/beanhead78/easter046.jpg

If no one else says yes and you do it anyway, then it's cool. If you stop cuz no one else will join you, well then....

Gepetto
01-17-2010, 1:15 PM
FUCK!!! now I can't ride in my kilt anymore because it's on the internet. I had a damn good run before "others" started riding in kilts.
To the guy who started this tread, who fucking cares anyway. If it bothers you sooo much to question what you are doing, then stop it already.

wickedblockhead
01-17-2010, 1:40 PM
FUCK!!! now I can't ride in my kilt anymore because it's on the internet. I had a damn good run before "others" started riding in kilts.
To the guy who started this tread, who fucking cares anyway. If it bothers you sooo much to question what you are doing, then stop it already.

bingo

KT
01-17-2010, 1:46 PM
Not that it matters but to me I like the people that wrench and come up with what is not available or not able to buy ....Or better yet are like me and broke most the time and have to buy shit people think will never run and polish that terd up pick the nuts and corn out and say now there ya go look at that....

Plus most people that have this desire and ability have cool attitudes and I can click and get along with them ....The trailer queens and "custom" "stocker" guys that can't figure out a cresent wrench just end up having a attitude that I'd rather punch them in the throat then hear their bullshit ..... I have met people though that most would say are "bandwagon" types but just did'nt know anything or anyone and once you introduce them to the way things are done they dive in get dirty and turned out to be ok people ...... So I guess what I am trying to say with this long winded novel I am writing ...is take people as they come fuck what is cool or hip do what ya like and who knows what you will meet on the road ....

Now go fix something..... you know the list only gets longer LOL

swellguy
01-17-2010, 1:46 PM
Now that everyone else is getting theirs, I kinda don't want mine anymore.
Maybe trade it for a Nazi lens? You could replace the Jesus lens with, I dunno, one of those '32 Ford lenses. Maybe one of those "F*@k You" lenses from Licks. Couple of other wagons one could jump on.

bigdaddy
01-17-2010, 2:09 PM
i started the nun run in october. rolled through town in the nun suit. i don't care if anyone else wants to do that too. in fact, i'd love for some other guys to join next year. i promise i won't call you a poser.

Markee
01-17-2010, 5:21 PM
Yeah whatever. So many talk about trends and this and that poser and I was here first. Really, the internet is turning into a kids playground / teenage text argument.

I would say retract your post. Take that finger effort and tap the next guy you think is a poser band wagon driver and tell him like it is. My bet your ass wouldn't live to see 2011.

Shit. Either help, encourage or get out the way.

peace.

---------------------------------------------------
Kilby Deuce - Cycle Parts - USA (http://www.kilbydeuce.com)

FatSmitty
01-17-2010, 7:58 PM
You know the masses are all just fuckin sheep-do your own shit and if they copy it, fuck it! Cruise what you got and be happy you got it. There isn't alot out there that ain't been done before, but who cares? Seems like alot of guys are into shit cuz nobody else has it, the real cool cats just run what they got or want and don't give a fuck what anybody else thinks or does-thats what makes them cool. If you run something just trying to be different not to be a poser, then makes you the biggest rub of all.

SMChewy
01-17-2010, 8:12 PM
A few of us were just having a similar discussion on XL forum. Some one asked everyone to define a chopper, a bobber, a digger, ect, ect. And everyone has a slightly different definition, even though the final ideas are all pretty damn close. Some say a chopper is just cut up, my bike is cut but not in the neck. Well someone said that makes it a bobber. But it's painted flat green, well that makes it a rat bike. I think you get the idea. My bike is just simply that, MY BIKE!!!! I do what I like, even if someone else has done it, and just as I said in the forum, I'm gonna ride it till the wheels fall off, and when they do. I'm gonna tear that bitch a part, and do it all again! What ever keeps you on 2 wheels, and your tail light fading in the distance!

Flarris
01-17-2010, 8:31 PM
Quote of the day, "The only 'scenester' shit I see is on the internet, where no matter how cool you are, you arent cool enough." Well said jason, (but maybe not all of the net).

billdozer
01-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Second quote of the day: Either help, encourage or get out the way.

Gene
01-18-2010, 5:36 AM
...HD, rat rod, scooter, whatever....just ride.

Kokuma
01-18-2010, 2:51 PM
the point is, if you wrench and chop your own, then your no trendy. Your one of the few who actually knows what the deal is and can laugh at the folks who pay to play because that type of ride is "cool".

amen!!

Revelator
01-18-2010, 3:49 PM
bandwagons, yeah they been around forever. example: what do you think happened when
the first Neanderthall Dude invented fire, ya think any of those other dudes were standin round
sucking on raw meat?
yep always going to be bandwagons.
the one that stumped me the most, was the idiotic douchebagger biggest rear tyre craze, amazing
how so many companies catered to that stupid shit. super wide ass frames, wide ass wheels,& on & on.
I bet there's alot of that retarded shit collecting dust in warehouses about now since it looks
as though that bandwagon is about dead. (finally).

framus
01-18-2010, 4:10 PM
I thought we were talking about these guys for a second:

http://thejackenhacks.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/bandwagon-2.jpg

Revelator
01-18-2010, 11:41 PM
That's the next big thing right there...14 spoke invaders. here we go.

seventhirteen
01-19-2010, 12:06 AM

in my opinion, yes...

i like to make fun of people in general, but i've always found it funny when people talk about posers or band wagoners, because if it's lame that someone thinks what your into is cool and wants to be a part of it no matter how they go about it, what does that say about you?

billdozer
01-19-2010, 12:07 AM
I gonna hop this bandwagon right into the junk pile. Anyone want to talk about motorcycles?

Flarris
01-19-2010, 12:32 AM
good idea

jpswino
01-19-2010, 12:40 AM
You guys are way too funny. How many pages now?

Here's a newsflash.....I BUILT MINE is never going to be a fad, period. The masses will never do it because it isn't easy. And if it was easy WE wouldn't do it. I BUILT MINE also will never be marketed because there is a minimum profit to be gained by anyone except the builder. SO, IMHO, what you should focus on is I BUILT MINE. And if YOU built it, then how can anyone possibly call it a band wagon since its a ONE OFF? lol

Nothing else matters, period, to me.

I could care less what motor someone uses or what style the bike may resemble. The first thing I ask a guy is "Did you build it?". One answer leads to an entire original conversation and the other answer leaves the guy looking at the back of my shirt. Guess what it says?

framus
01-19-2010, 9:08 AM
I gonna hop this bandwagon right into the junk pile. Anyone want to talk about motorcycles?

On a motorcycle site?

Get out of town.

Markee
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I could care less what motor someone uses or what style the bike may resemble. The first thing I ask a guy is "Did you build it?". One answer leads to an entire original conversation and the other answer leaves the guy looking at the back of my shirt. Guess what it says?

"If you can read this the bitch fell off" ????

MadRiverMoCo
01-19-2010, 6:07 PM
Ride an Excelsior Henderson - solution to all your problems

beanhead78
01-19-2010, 9:16 PM
"If you can read this the bitch fell off" ????

my guess is NKOTB World tour 86 " Hangin' tough"? jus kiddin
i actually took the time to google new kids tours

geekdublD
01-26-2010, 12:32 PM
One answer leads to an entire original conversation and the other answer leaves the guy looking at the back of my shirt. Guess what it says?

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/ddailey111/0809081946.jpg

hugodv01
01-26-2010, 3:36 PM
http://www.shop2wear.com/images/Biker-T-Shirts/Badd-Bikers-Against-Dumb-Drivers-Shirt.jpg

hugodv01
01-26-2010, 3:42 PM
http://tisfortshirt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/bike2.gif
http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/65161px.jpg
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz115/jaztram/SOABACKBIG2EBAY.jpg