PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm

h8ter
08-07-2009, 1:22 PM
So, I have a 1980 FLH. Pretty stock. It currently has the square swing arm and stock banana caliper brakes. I like the look of the round swingarm (lower), but I'm no fab guy, hell, I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm planning on replacing the banana caliper with one of Fab Kevin's setups. Anyone know if it would be fairly easy to swap out to a round swing arm while I'm doing the brake replacement?

Boylecomm
08-07-2009, 1:31 PM
It'll bolt right up. we did the same to Bob's 76 FLH but used a juice drum set up.
I used a Fab Kevin kit with a PM caliper for my 60fl. I need to make some spacers.

h8ter
08-07-2009, 3:15 PM
It'll bolt right up. we did the same to Bob's 76 FLH but used a juice drum set up.
I used a Fab Kevin kit with a PM caliper for my 60fl. I need to make some spacers.

So, pull the square swingarm, replace with the round and then bolt up the new Fab Kevin brake kit? That easy? Really?

Boylecomm
08-07-2009, 5:42 PM
You'll have to figure out wheel spacing and make or have spacers made but other than that yes.

My FL has 3 spacers two on the brake side & one on the sprocket side.
Also I'm using a modern aluminum HD hub, but I'm pretty sure the hub width is the same.

So, pull the square swingarm, replace with the round and then bolt up the new Fab Kevin brake kit? That easy? Really?

CaptainBob
08-07-2009, 8:20 PM

Don't forget; 11" shocks are out of the question. 12" will slam it down pretty low. 13.25" are stock for round swingarm bikes.

BigDawg
08-07-2009, 8:37 PM
Don't forget about the anchor rod and a tab for it.

Boylecomm
08-08-2009, 9:54 AM
Capin Bob & Big dog both have valid points. We stuck with the 13.25 shocks on both bikes. mostly because we like ground clearance and being able to turn. we tried 11" & 12" but the stance was pretty nice and a little more of a plush ride.
Tab and rod Kevin made up for my kit and he has his shit so together I would imagine he could easily supply the needed spacers so you could plug & play. You may have to give him measurements though.

BigOscar
08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Paugcho sells the spacer kit to switch it. So it is plug and play