PDA

View Full Version : xs650: Switching mag wheels for spoked?

AirsoftNY
01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
HI all,

I prefer the look of spoke wheels but my '80 xs650 has the stock mags wheels. Is it a hassle to swap these out for spoked wheel version? Are you able to keep the disc brakes if you do (I see a lot of xs650s with spoked wheel and drum brakes).

tx

A.

Robhall
01-13-2010, 1:32 PM
Yeah I kind of want to switch to spokes as well, but if I do I will probably go with a drum just because of simplicity and I imagine it'll be easier to find.

royalchuter
01-13-2010, 1:36 PM
I'm also curious about this - I read somewhere that spoke wheels cushion the hardtail somewhat. Any comments on that?

3rdGear
01-13-2010, 1:58 PM
I think the only thing with spoke is that you to be careful cause you can bend the wheel a lot easier on them than you can mags

earz
01-13-2010, 4:06 PM
There's no direct swap that I know of to keep a rear disc on spoked wheels. There are a couple options though.

You can use a front XS hub with omars conversion kit
http://omarsdtr.com/stwheel.html

$300 bucks is a little to rich for my blood. I'm currentl working on my own conversion similar to omars setup. I'm still not sure how it will work out, but if it's successful, I'll be sure to post some pics.

Your other option would be to find a dirtbike rear wheel that has a disc brake and fit it. This will take more work as far as brake caliper and mounts for dirt wheel. Gearing will also be an issue unless you want to do non stop wheelies with an original dirt sprocket on the back (normally 40-52 teeth compared to XS 34 teeth.

philbey
01-13-2010, 9:31 PM
Yeh you'll have to get a wheel or hub off something else if you want to run a rear disc, or make an adaptor similar to what Omars is selling.