PDA

View Full Version : Flyrite, Smoking Gun frame question

sam13
08-07-2012, 1:04 PM
Hey guys, Im wanting to order the smokin gun frame from flyrite for an 02 sporty. Im just needing some input on what I'll need with this frame, as in,do I need a specific size oilbag or battery box and with a 33 degree rake will I still be able to run my stock front end on it. Im new to this building stuff so any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Incrediblah
08-07-2012, 1:19 PM
It's definitely a tight frame, which is one of things I liked about it. Oil bag should be at least 3 qts, but there's plenty of room in there to play around with different styles. You will have to weld, or get someone else to weld all of your brackets and mounts though.

Battery can fit pretty well behind the seat post, but the stock size/weight batter will be a tight fit. I ended up going with one of the super small lithium batteries from Shorai, and it worked great on top of being half the size and only weighing about 2 lbs.

You can run your stock font end, but keep in mind this frame sits LOW. Ultimately this is why I sold it. I had 3.25" of clearance at best. Determine if that will be dangerous for you depending on where you live/ride because it's definitely a factor. I live and ride in LA, and a lot of the roads and freeways are like riding on the moon. I rode it quite often, but CONSTANTLY scanning the road ahead, looking for the slightest bump or pot hole got old.

You could look into running a taller rear tire like the Avon MKII on a 16 or a 19 and get around 4" or so. The stock front end will probably give you a little more clearance than I had in the front, but you most likely won't be sitting perfectly level with most 16" rear wheel/tires and your stock forks.

Good luck!

sam13
08-07-2012, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the tips, i plan on running a springer 4 under thats what they recomend, but i fell better about things i need to look for when i start with the tire size mkll like you suggested. Im deployed right now so im trying to put this bike together in my head and order parts here.Also, did you need to change your belt at all or do a chain conversion? Thanks again.

SquashThatFly
08-07-2012, 3:02 PM
I also sold my Smokin' Gun frame for the sole reason of it being entirely too low.

Other than that issue, the quality was outstanding

Change over to chain. Its worth it. Put a good quality o-ring chain on and a set of sprockets.

sam13
08-07-2012, 3:09 PM
i think yall making me reconsider this frame.

Arev
08-07-2012, 5:14 PM
Don't do it unless you like staring at your bike more than you like riding it. I was gonna buy a smokin gun frame just because I thought they were the best looking frame out there, but I started hearing peoples story's about how low they are. So I had a custom frame built with 33 degree rake and have 2 under forks. I have 4" of ground clearance and I still scrape my exhaust and kick stand when I'm hittin the turns at maybe 25-30 mph. So now I'm gonna put my stock springs back in my forks to get those 2" back. Ya it won't look as cool, but at least I won't look like a bitch riding through the turns. :cool:

sam13
08-08-2012, 11:14 AM
ok thanks for everyones advice, I ended up going with the kraft tech frame, with no stretch or rake.

STANDARD
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Just keep in mind that you now will have to go over your bike twice as much for loose bolts and what not
rigid frames transfer alot of road vibration through the whole bike as to the swing arm bushing or bearings eat up alot of that.
just my .02 cents...
good luck

LilGeneral
08-13-2012, 5:03 PM
Junk

Wjustinclarke
05-01-2014, 7:28 AM
How did the build go? Would love some updates. I'm starting one soon