PDA

View Full Version : Tympanium Unit Wiring

George3
01-12-2010, 7:11 PM
Can anyone please describe, or post a wiring diagram of a Tympanium Unit WITHOUT a battery.
Im running a Hunt Mag (jerks) and no battery, so Im trying figure out how to make the connections from the stator to the tympanium and then to the headlamp and tail lamp.
Thanks George

chopped850
01-12-2010, 7:37 PM
Wow you spent all that cash on those item's and they didn't come with a wiring diagram?

Torch
01-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Just connect the two wires from the stator to the two yellow wires, it don't mater which one to which. then the black wire (neg.) to the frame, and the red wire (pos) through a fuse and to all the lights. that will give you a negitive ground bike so you can use a common LED tail light.

Choppedtriumphs
01-13-2010, 3:33 AM
If you have a two wire or three wire altenator,..one of these should work..
peace

George3
01-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks, thats what I needed

rk378
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
ya fuck joe hunt ..you should just send me your mag

Jethro
01-14-2010, 8:01 PM
I don't think Gary at Rask cycles minds if his diagram is reproduced here. I keep a similar one of my own on the inside of the lid of my toolbox...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/jettoes1/diag2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/jettoes1/diag1.jpg

Top one is with a modern coil, the lower one a traditional coil setup.

burndoubt
01-15-2010, 7:41 AM
Can anyone please describe, or post a wiring diagram of a Tympanium Unit WITHOUT a battery.
Im running a Hunt Mag (jerks) and no battery, so Im trying figure out how to make the connections from the stator to the tympanium and then to the headlamp and tail lamp.
Thanks George

Mind if I ask why the Joe Hunt people are jerks? I plan on buying one, and was just curious.

rk378
01-15-2010, 8:52 AM
Mind if I ask why the Joe Hunt people are jerks? I plan on buying one, and was just curious.

i have a joe hunt on all my bikes, they just brought a old dead one back to life for me and she sparks like new, i dont think they wire bikes, they just build mags

burndoubt
01-15-2010, 9:43 AM
i have a joe hunt on all my bikes, they just brought a old dead one back to life for me and she sparks like new, i dont think they wire bikes, they just build mags

I wouldn't expect them to wire anything, I just like their mags.

Torch
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM

We deal with the guys at Joe hunt 2-3 times a month, I think they're great.
They're selling a lot of mags with the recent increase in popularity of magnetos and I think they may be getting a little irritated with the all the questions from people that can't read and follow the installation instructions.

George3
01-16-2010, 11:14 AM
About 2 years ago I had my Mag rebuilt, I had replaced the drive dog, the mounting plate and bearing . When installing it onto the motor the mounting plate and drive dog did not line up properly into the Mag itself, I was careful and did not force anything, I disassembled and retried with the same results, nothing lined up. I called the shop and they said send it back. When I called them (Joe Hunt) they said there was nothing wrong with it and that I did some thing wrong to miss align it, I explained that I never forced anything on the mag, there were no score marks on any of the pieces, you could still see that everything was new. The guy I was speaking with (He had an accent either Brit or Aussie) said "well it is what it is" I asked what does that mean, he just said "It is what it is", he said I was going to be charged again for the parts. Since they (Joe Hunt) already had my credit card info they went ahead with the charges.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Mag, I just think their customer service sucks ASS. Just because you're the only game in town doesn't mean you can be a dickhead.
I wasn't calling them and bugging them on why it's taking so long get back to me, or can they send me some free stickers, or asking how to get it (the Mag) running. My phone calls to them were minimal.
Fire Away

KT
01-16-2010, 5:19 PM
I don't think Gary at Rask cycles minds if his diagram is reproduced here..

Not as long as you let him do a unleaded conversion on your aluminum triumph head LOL what a schemer I don't buy shit from him since I found real Triumph people ... BTW you might receive a notice your being sued for copy right infringement that guy is a asshat not only my opinion but alot of other peoples too ....Sorry not my way to bash people usually but that guy well you get it I don't like them ...

Jethro
01-16-2010, 5:27 PM
Gary has never tried to sell me an unleaded conversion to a head. Never. Additionally, over the course of a build, he had some valid inputs, on things such as head stays, securing an exhaust pipe. Finally, I returned many items to him over a build, and never had a problem with credit or refund, all I had to pay was return shipping. The two major things I have disagreed with him in the past involved Mikuni carbs, which I have found he was probably partially correct... and the use of a hand shifter on a Triumph (an unsecured lever type which you can see on my bike) in which I think he is wrong. He is a crotchety son of a bitch sometimes... but then again, so am I.

KT
01-16-2010, 5:34 PM
I bought alot of my first build parts off him , always seemed like I was bothering them if I had a question ...not to mention alot of the parts I got were of lesser quality than what you get from others ...

For instance the petcocks I got off him were real light and twisted in half at the threads when setting them in the tank and no I didnt use a monkey wrench or jump up or down on them just shitty made parts....

I found this to be true of alot of the other items throttle assembly was cheaply made on and on ...But to each their own ...One persons bad experience is not always anothers, but yea he was pushing unleaded head conversions and hydraulic cluth conversion back then ....

My point to that is a Aluminum Triumph head runs unleaded gas there is no conversion they remove and put in new steel valve seats which is just taking money from dumb people that don't realize this fact....

bhead1968
01-17-2010, 8:50 PM
well shit this thread de-railed a bit.. anyway, got to through this in. My hex shaft on my Mag rounded out making my bike run off timing and shitty. I call over to Hunt to that same "Brit guy".. he didnt have a reason why it did it, but turned around and sent me a new one no charge..

Hope you got the diagram you needed let me know if you need another one, i got mine wired up the same. Mag, then tymp/cap/keyswitch- headlight, tailight..thats it.