PDA

View Full Version : 1968 tr6r Triumph build

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I bought this bike to paint , put together and sell , but when I got the new front end on it and made it rolling my wife said she wants it. So now I'm building it for her..
It came with a long front end , but no rake so the front of the frame was too high .. I'm glad the frame wasn't raked.. The first pics show the bike with that front end..I experimented with some performance front ends and thought about going with a sportster but Someone offered me a springer for a price I couldn't turn down.. I bought it and modified it to fit..I had to change the neck bearings races and springer stem but the length is perfect..
I'll be painting the frame black today . I'll weld a piece of flat stock over the oil tank for the seat along with a tab for the front of the seat , then I can start building it.. I'll take lots of pictures ..

RetroRob
08-04-2012, 10:29 AM
off to a good start :cheersmate:

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 10:53 AM
off to a good start :cheersmate:

I had to do a little fiber bond work on the frame to make it look a little better.. The motor has been polished , but after looking at another motor on this sight , I think I'll be working on that before I install it.. I spent most of yesterday getting the tank and frame primered for paint .My wife wants the tank fenders and oil tank Dark candy purple and the frame black..

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
This motor looks O.K. When I'm done it will look "GooD"..

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Some more pics of frame..Other than welding a couple of tabs on , it's pretty much ready to spray.

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 11:21 AM
While I'm at this stage of this build , Now is the time to figure out what kind of brake system to go with.. Options are : I can weld a tab and install a Harley rear rim and disk brake setup..
OR : Stick with Stock..
I like the old school look of the Triumph rear wheel , but Drum brakes aren't the best for stopping..
The first 2 pics, have a caliper on the rear of the frame..The third has the stock rim ..
Any Suggestions ???

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 3:02 PM
Got my tabs welded on for the seat , and got the frame closer to paint.. I had to make my own brackets , I took a 1/4'x 1' Flat stock and drilled two holes . I put a nut & bolt through the holes and cut off the head , Then welded the back side of the bolt to the flat stock.. For the front bracket , I got a small piece of pipe . Put a thick washer under it and welded the washer to the frame. Then the pipe to the top of the washer .. I then Fiber~bonded it to hide the weld and make it look better..
I'm not quite done , but It's going..I still have to sand it down "Mold it"..Then I'm ready for paint..

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 3:06 PM
Here's where the Fiber~Bond comes in..

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 3:07 PM
As soon as this crap dries I'll sand it down ~ Prime and paint...

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 6:49 PM
I painted the frame black , but I wanted to add a little pearl to the clear cote , so I looked in my cabinet and found a violet pearl .. I think it would have looked good , but I put too much in the clear and it turned out purple.. Not too bad since the bike's going to be purple any way , but I don't like it..The wife said she likes it so , for now I'm gonna leave it this way..

RetroRob
08-04-2012, 6:55 PM
Joker bike

Bobber68
08-04-2012, 6:58 PM
What's a Joker Bike ?

Mongolikebikes
08-05-2012, 3:09 AM
While I'm at this stage of this build , Now is the time to figure out what kind of brake system to go with.. Options are : I can weld a tab and install a Harley rear rim and disk brake setup..
OR : Stick with Stock..
I like the old school look of the Triumph rear wheel , but Drum brakes aren't the best for stopping..
The first 2 pics, have a caliper on the rear of the frame..The third has the stock rim ..
Any Suggestions ???

I like the stock set-up. Are you running a spool up front? I think it also depends on how well your wife rides to be honest. I ride a mechanical rear brake and spool front on a couple bikes, and I rely on 'compression/shift' braking a great deal (and staying a little further from the car ahead of me). If your wife can ride like that, she'll be fine. Basically, her safety is in your hands....

starwolf
08-05-2012, 6:02 AM
I have to agree, if you go with the stock rear brake, she will certainly want to do some "testing" to see exactly how quickly it will stop. It won't be real impressive, likely sluggish at best, and keep in mind that drum WILL lock up, if too much pressure is applied ! When running drum brakes (on anything,especially a bike) you (she) will really need to anticipate her stops. Keep plenty of distance (3-4 car lengths or more) between her and the vehicle in front of her. Average stopping distance (from my experience) from 50 MPH with drum brakes is about a block, perhaps a little less with proper downshifting. Most likely it will scare the ever loving shit out of her how "quickly" it stops. Because there won't be anything "quick" about it. You (she) MUST use extreme caution with drum brakes, that car that pulls out in front of you (her), that unexpected lane changer, that light that JUST changed red, etc.

With that said , I think that the stock wheel looks best, but, the disc set up is going to be much more reliable, and MUCH safer. Providing MUCH more efficient stopping power, where milliseconds may count !

Either way, it looks like its goin' to be a bitchin' little scoot for her !
:cheersmate:

Bobber68
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm going with stock Harley FXSTS , springer completely in the front "Disk and all". I think if she learns how to use her front and rear brake in sequence like I do , she'll learn to stop a lot faster..unless it's slick or sandy , Then she's going to have to take it easy anyway..
I'm also going to rebuild the rear hub and brake system with new shoes and rough up the surface of the hub , then new bearings and brake cable . I'm thinking if that don't stop the bike fast enough I'll swap over to a Harley Hub and rim..They seam to work pretty good ..I'm not going with the disc.

Bobber68
08-05-2012, 11:51 AM
What's a Joker Bike ?
OH the Joker bike...I don't watch batman movies so I wouldn't know .

Bobber68
08-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I like the stock set-up. Are you running a spool up front? I think it also depends on how well your wife rides to be honest. I ride a mechanical rear brake and spool front on a couple bikes, and I rely on 'compression/shift' braking a great deal (and staying a little further from the car ahead of me). If your wife can ride like that, she'll be fine. Basically, her safety is in your hands....

I've built a LOT of Harley's but this is only my 2nd Triumph . Every time I build a bike I worry " just a little" that maybe somethings not tight , or right .. So when I finish a bike , I'll ride it for a while before I sell it to break it in and make sure all is well.. I think with this bike my worry factor might rise a little.. She's NOT an experienced rider like I am , and now that you put it that way , I really need this to be right...

RetroRob
08-05-2012, 2:13 PM
OH the Joker bike...I don't watch batman movies so I wouldn't know .

The purple is the same color as the Joker wore, would be cool to incorporate his face on the tank

Bobber68
08-05-2012, 3:32 PM
Frame dried today and I welded the stem on the springer front end.. Now it's time to build the bike..Thanks for the input on the brake it helped me come to a final conclusion ..
My o'l lady likes the color however if it were mine , it wouldn't be this color very long.. We'll see how the final results turn out once I get the tank oil tank and fenders painted the color she wants it..

forrestcannon
08-05-2012, 3:35 PM
It will look bad ass when its done

Bobber68
08-05-2012, 3:46 PM
It will look bad ass when its done

This color is O.K.. It darkens up and turns black in the dark.. It's only purple in the sunlight , then its dark ..

Bobber68
08-06-2012, 8:28 AM
I have a very nice Harley. It gets a lot of attention when we ride , but I think that's going to end when Gret rides this one .. She said the older I can make it look the better she'll like it..

Mine // Hers

Bobber68
08-09-2012, 3:32 PM
I have a very nice Harley. It gets a lot of attention but hers will get more I'm sure..I can't wait to see her ride..

Mine // Hers[/QUOTE]

Motor goes in tomorrow. I had to go out of town for a few days, but I'm back and it's time to get back to the gettin'~er~Done..

Bobber68
08-10-2012, 9:59 AM
I bought this bike from my cousin. He paid $5,000.00 for it .. He said it ran like new and started first kick every time.. He also said it came with a Magneto , but he loaned it to a friend and it never came back. The friend moved and now getting it back isn't even possible anymore..
if it were a Harley I'd know what to do.. But I'm new to trumpits and I'm building this for a light woman ,so it needs to start first or second kick ...
I guess my question is..Should I spend the money for another magneto , or is there another way to go that would make it just as easy to start..I realize timing is everything and points would do the job if the timing is right. Maybe some one could offer some Ideas...Thanks..

Bobber68
08-10-2012, 1:12 PM
Got the motor set in today. What a bitch I scratched the frame to hell , Everything hit that frame .
But it's in now and I'm going to try and get the mounts all in order.. The Motor was already out of the frame when I got it so I didn't know how to put it back in the frame..Here it is so far..

Bobber68
08-10-2012, 1:18 PM
If anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them..The Handle bars are 1' HD to match the front end risers. I need to know what to do about the clutch and throttle cables~&~Throttle assembly..I have twin carbs..

kraznos
08-11-2012, 5:30 AM
wow great work

mjscjl
08-11-2012, 9:04 AM
RE: magneto
I have boyer electronic ignition in both my 60's triumph 650's and they work great. like you said timing is everything and once timed right they will fire up 1st/2nd kick. my setup is fairly simple with 2 x 6v coils, the boyer kit, a podtronics rectifier and a battery. strobe the timing to get it as close as possible and she should have no troubles. a lot of folks on here recommend the Pazon kits too.
very nice job ... can't wait to see it completed
Matt

Bobber68
08-13-2012, 9:44 AM
wow great work

Thanks man , I appreciate that... I'm trying to figure out which way to go with the ignition "Points or Electronic" so I can wire the bike ..I'm going to get a battery today and start running the wires through the frame...I don't know shit about triumphs , but learning will be fun..

Bobber68
08-13-2012, 9:52 AM
Does anyone out there have a Magneto for sale..:confused:

this is the color my wife wanted it..I'm not finished yet I have some airbrush work to do she wants Evil Clowns painted on it..

starwolf
08-14-2012, 4:44 AM
Does anyone out there have a Magneto for sale..:confused:
These guys sell them, but they are not cheap !
http://www.morrismagneto.com

TRI Morris Mag - UNIT-TRIUMPH '62-'80's $940 + Tax + Shipping = OUCH !
Most guys just simply can't afford a magneto, and go with a cheaper alternative....a Digital EI.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting a Digital Electronic Ignition such as a Pazon, or a Trispark, vs. a Magneto *the Pazon will be cheaper than the Trispark, and comes with a 7.5 year warranty. I would do everything in my power to avoid Boyer's as they tend to want the full spectrum of the 12V your system will produce, these other digital EI's will still work down to 7.5V with no change in performance. The Trispark ran me around $450(for a Triple Ignition, Twin Ignitions are a bit cheaper), I'm pretty sure you can get a Pazon for $200-250 (but I am unsure which one you'll want to grab, Torch will know which one you'll want to get.)

If your wanting to go battery -less Snag up a Sparx battery Eliminator
If you don't want to wire in a separate "kill" switch for the lights, grab a Boyer Light Delay Unit, this allows the lights to come on automatically, after starting.

Bobber68
08-14-2012, 6:41 AM
Makes plenty of sense to me..I don't think I want to go completely battery~less .. I have a place for one in my oil tank and I might have to turn the lights on without starting the bike. I appreciate the advice...
I drew the clown she wants on the tank. Now I have to come up with one for the other side..Maybe an evil woman on one side..Maybe Joker would be a good name for this purple trumpet..
Maybe someone can sent me some pro's and cons to battery the "Battery v/s No battery" what's best ?

Bobber68
08-17-2012, 9:25 AM
I got this headlight yesterday. I think it looks better..

Bobber68
08-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't know much about Triumphs ,

TheLakewoodKid2
08-28-2012, 7:47 AM
do you have all the old ignition parts? if you do wire it up with a battery and run that till you have the bread to buy a mag

Bobber68
08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
do you have all the old ignition parts? if you do wire it up with a battery and run that till you have the bread to buy a mag

This bike don't have any wiring at all. No tail light , Ignition , Battery . I'm starting from scratch..I want to run all my wires through the frame and handle bars so they won't show. I need stainless steel braided cables..Clutch , Carbs , Everything.. The only one that I have is the rear brake cable , and I'm thinking about changing that over to a rod instead of the cable .. I'm having trouble finding information on which one way would be best..I look at a lot of Triumph Bobbers online and most have the rods..

TheLakewoodKid2
08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
stock triumph is a rod not a cable looks like your missing the part that goes into your rear brake lever to accept the rod with the adjuster. Do you have the motor mount plates,brake lever, and pegs? Send me a pm and I can help you get it set up with the right parts

Bobber68
08-28-2012, 11:43 AM
stock triumph is a rod not a cable looks like your missing the part that goes into your rear brake lever to accept the rod with the adjuster. Do you have the motor mount plates,brake lever, and pegs? Send me a pm and I can help you get it set up with the right parts

This is what I have..

Bobber68
08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
This is what I have..

This bike has forward controls. I set the seat up where my wife's legs would be right for them. If I change over to side controls I might have to cut everything back off and move the seat back .. I'd like to keep the forward controls..But I don't think they'll work with a rod like they are. I think I'm going to have to modify them...
The left side motor mount only fastens to one bolt on the motor . This don't seem right to me , am I missing something ? maybe it's the wrong bracket ?

Bobber68
09-03-2012, 4:40 PM
UPDATE - Kinda..
At this point of the build it's time to fit things up and figure out exhaust , tank , Points or electronic ignition , etc... I'm deciding on things ..The tank is only to show how it looks with a lowered tank instead of my other one which sits on top of the frame.."Almost no Tunnel"-..The Rear fender is to show how a fender would look with sides , instead of the flat one - The o'l lady and I are still deciding what kind of look to give it.. She really likes this on..These won't be the rear fender and tank , but there close... What do you guys think Don't forget the fishtail exhaust.I only have one on , but you get the Idea..
BTW- I'm Painting the whole bike like a Brittish Flag , and my Harley like an American Flag. It won't be purple.

Bobber68
09-03-2012, 9:13 PM
we got in the book earlier "My wife and I " and picked out a fender . She's going with the rounded style..

1965T120R
09-04-2012, 6:43 AM
Looking good :D

Bobber68
09-04-2012, 7:04 AM
Thanks man ..

Bobber68
09-05-2012, 9:14 AM
My wife said she wants the pipes to go like this , Pro's and Cons ?? Does anyone know what they are..
I like this look.. What do you think ..??
I have another question .. Didn't the tr6r come with a single carb ? I thought the Bonnys were the two carb bikes.. Did someone put a set of Bonny heads on this tr6r ??

1965T120R
09-05-2012, 9:18 AM
To each their own I say. If it makes her happy do not argue....lol

CRFyou
09-05-2012, 9:30 AM
My wife said she wants the pipes to go like this , Pro's and Cons ?? Does anyone know what they are..
I like this look.. What do you think ..??
I have another question .. Didn't the tr6r come with a single carb ? I thought the Bonnys were the two carb bikes.. Did someone put a set of Bonny heads on this tr6r ??

TR6 is a single carb bike.

Someone placed a Bonnie head on there.

Bobber68
09-05-2012, 9:38 AM
TR6 is a single carb bike.

Someone placed a Bonnie head on there.

That's what I thought .. Are these carbs a Pain to keep in tune with each other , Or Pretty simple .

Bobber68
09-05-2012, 9:48 AM
To each their own I say. If it makes her happy do not argue....lol

Yes, I agree with that 100% .. Upswept it is.. I'll be ordering her fenders , Electronic Ignition , Long fishtails , Ignition switch , etc... in a few min.. Also I'll need to find someone who sells Stainless steel braided cables.. Throttle , clutch .. The throttle will have to be a single from throttle assembly to a double for carbs.. I don't want black , but I don't know if anyone makes the kind I want..

CRFyou
09-05-2012, 9:54 AM
That's what I thought .. Are these carbs a Pain to keep in tune with each other , Or Pretty simple .

You learn to develop an ear for it.

You can hear when one has the idle screw set too high.

Have you set the fuel screws yet? Each carb is different even on the same bike. They won't necessarily have the same amount of turns out on fuel or idle.

Bobber68
09-05-2012, 10:08 AM
You learn to develop an ear for it.

You can hear when one has the idle screw set too high.

Have you set the fuel screws yet? Each carb is different even on the same bike. They won't necessarily have the same amount of turns out on fuel or idle.

I haven't started it yet , I was going to wait until im done building it first.. I was told the bike ran great before my cousin took it apart. Hopefully everything will still be pretty close when I get it back together.. ??? Hopefully soon ... Do you know a good Vintage Triumph parts distributor..??

CRFyou
09-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I haven't started it yet , I was going to wait until im done building it first.. I was told the bike ran great before my cousin took it apart. Hopefully everything will still be pretty close when I get it back together.. ??? Hopefully soon ... Do you know a good Vintage Triumph parts distributor..??

Tony "Torch" has gotten into the parts game as well as service and advice.

http://www.classiccyclesinc.com/

There is also British Cycle Supply.

http://www.britcycle.com/

Apparently Moore's is back open. But I don't know the new guy yet...

http://moorescyclecenter.com/

Bobber68
09-05-2012, 2:08 PM
Much thanks..
I took the tank and rear fender off on Monday while my wife was at work.. She never noticed... It wasn't until I finished it on Friday- and put it back on that she noticed I repainted it.. She thought she liked that purple color , but now she's glad I changed it.. " And so am I "....I'm painting the frame black , after I weld all the tabs I need on it..It seems , I always end up having to build my bikes twice..
After I finish her paint , and get this bike wired , I'm going to paint my Harley with the American Stars and stripes .. I think they'll look good side by side when we ride together..

Bobber68
09-16-2012, 2:58 PM
Much thanks..
I took the tank and rear fender off on Monday while my wife was at work.. She never noticed... It wasn't until I finished it on Friday- and put it back on that she noticed I repainted it.. She thought she liked that purple color , but now she's glad I changed it.. " And so am I "....I'm painting the frame black , after I weld all the tabs I need on it..It seems , I always end up having to build my bikes twice..
After I finish her paint , and get this bike wired , I'm going to paint my Harley with the American Stars and stripes .. I think they'll look good side by side when we ride together..

I ordered the front springer fender . Gret picked some nice turn signals out .. The rear signals are on the side of the license bracket and the fronts will be under the rear view mirrors but very small LED..If it was mine I would use my hands as the signals , but she wants to be seen at night .. She's a beginner and I don't blame her .. I want her to feel safe , and comfortable on it.. So if she wants reflectors stuck to the frame.. I'll put them on..

1965T120R
09-16-2012, 6:31 PM
Looking good. :)

heretic530
09-16-2012, 7:46 PM
bike looks good...but tell me about what looks to be a hollow body bass guitar in the third pic of the original post...

boss429
09-16-2012, 7:51 PM
Looks really good. I dig it!

Bobber68
09-17-2012, 9:04 AM
bike looks good...but tell me about what looks to be a hollow body bass guitar in the third pic of the original post...

That's a Gibson Epiphone Hollow body base.. I need to put one of the pickups back in , I've also got a 1960's Tennessee Sho-Bud , Steel guitar , and 2 peavey electrics.. for sale.