PDA

View Full Version : D5 Triumph hardtail frame - Help!

ryamatt
08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi,

I was just talking with the missuz over breakfast about looking for a Sportster to hardtail, when this appeared online, just down the street from me. I am a total Triumph virgin, but this seems to be a good price and an ok place to start. Items like this don't come up very often in my neck of the woods, so this seems like a good chance to get into a project relatively cheap.

The guy said it had a 72 or 74 Bonneville motor in there originally. Is buying a frame first, then hunting for a motor a bad idea? Would an XS650 motor work - there seems to be more of them around here than Triumph motors.

Any tips, things to look for, or advice about motor options would be much appreciated.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-motorcycle-parts-accessories-Triumph-Hardtail-frame-with-solo-springer-seat-Canadian-Made-D5-W0QQAdIdZ401671522

RetroRob
08-03-2012, 1:04 PM
Rule #1 check the laws in your area about getting a biked titled and liscensed. Where I live (pa.) you need a title that matches the frame. The frame in the ad looks good. but its much more cost effictive to find a near complete bike and add a hardtail. Triumphs are great bikes and have a bit more respect than a jap bike, if that matters to you. They will make a mechanic out of you, but its all very doable without spending a fortune.

Bobber68
08-03-2012, 2:54 PM
Find a Triumph motor on ebay. Retro is right , in some places SLED can take your bike for things like that...If you have a triumph with a Honda Motor , they steal your bike and say they think you might have stole something. They won't press charges , but they keep you're bike and sell it on a police auction and pocket the money..It's the biggest bike scam in the country and they get away with it unless you get a lawyer..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..