PDA

View Full Version : Another new problem. Could it be the timing?

SacredSteel63
08-02-2012, 5:25 PM
:banghead: So I got it running and idling good and went for a ride today. All of a sudden it started bogging down like it was only firing on one cylinder and had no power. I managed to get it home and noticed one of the plug wires was pinched pretty good between the tank and frame. Must have happened when I put the tank back on after dicking with the carb. So I figure I might as well pull the plugs to check them and they looked good. Fired it up and same thing, no power and sounds like its only firing on one cylinder. Well, this time I forgot to put one of the plug wires back on. Put the wire back on and fired right up and sounded good. Later on I went to go for a ride and it runs like shit now and back fires a lot when I try to start it and can't get it to idle right. When I can keep it running, it hesitates when I give it a quick turn of the throttle. Could I have screwed up the timing? It has a Boyer ignition. Its pissing me off now. Anyway, how do I check the timing on this thing? It has no timing cover on the primary side. Is the timing cover on the side where the points cover is? (67 T120R) Don't mean to sound dumb but I need to get this figured out or I'll go freaking nuts.

Thanks.

starwolf
08-03-2012, 5:10 AM
I'm no expert on these things, but, I've been around the block a time or two. The "Primary" side (right side if your sitting on the bike) should have a small triangle plate,(near your points cover) remove the top two screws, and loosen the bottom one a bit. This is where your timing mark should be visible, it should line up with the (now top,since its upside down) "point" of the upside down triangle plate. The stator (I think thats what the hell it is) should have 3 marks, they may or may not be marked "A" & "B", (mine have no such "A"or "B" markings) I'm pretty sure Torch (or perhaps one of the other professionals) will be along to inform you of how to properly time the machine, mine is a little different (I have an extra cylinder) something about 38 degrees BTDC (Before Top Dead Center) or is it 38 degrees TDC(Top Dead Center), I can never remember these things. I'm certain one of these other gents will set you right !

RetroRob
08-03-2012, 6:46 AM
The primary side is on the left as you sit on the bike, it's where the primary chain is. The right side is the timing side, wher you will find the points and timing gears. As for your problem sounds like it could be a number of things,points condensers, coils, plugs even carburation.best advice I can give you is buy a book, Glenn's Triumph manual is among the best, so you can get as familiar as possible with the way these things work. They are simple machines that have a million little quirks. Start eliminating the obvious, buy a new set of plugs, gap them and see what happens.listen to the exhaust is ihe engine misfiring on one side, if so switch wires, see if the problem moves. I'd then start with the points and timing , get a timing plug. Report back on what you find and we'll go from there.

SacredSteel63
08-03-2012, 7:36 AM
The primary side is on the left as you sit on the bike, it's where the primary chain is. The right side is the timing side, wher you will find the points and timing gears. As for your problem sounds like it could be a number of things,points condensers, coils, plugs even carburation.best advice I can give you is buy a book, Glenn's Triumph manual is among the best, so you can get as familiar as possible with the way these things work. They are simple machines that have a million little quirks. Start eliminating the obvious, buy a new set of plugs, gap them and see what happens.listen to the exhaust is ihe engine misfiring on one side, if so switch wires, see if the problem moves. I'd then start with the points and timing , get a timing plug. Report back on what you find and we'll go from there.

Not saying everything is good but the plug wires, coils are new. Boyer ignition in place of points and condenser. I'm going to try a new 3.5 slide and a 230 main and needle at the bottom slot like you did for now. I just wish there was a place around here that has this shit on the shelf instead of having to order everything and wait.

dazegoneby
08-03-2012, 8:06 AM
Not saying everything is good but the plug wires, coils are new. Boyer ignition in place of points and condenser. I'm going to try a new 3.5 slide and a 230 main and needle at the bottom slot like you did for now. I just wish there was a place around here that has this shit on the shelf instead of having to order everything and wait.

here yas about the order/ wait syndrom,stuff on shelf, well if you live where near major limey strong holds,(,mass ) don huchinsons is up there(wakefield)?,,, you could get off the shelf stuff, but remeber, when these bikes get 25 years old ,the antique thing comes into play,, lotta part hoarders out there,,,, and these parts are the ones they are hoarding,,,,,,,,,,at least we can still get parts for our old bikes, if you find a shop that does have theses parts ,,,,the price of said parts makes you realize ,,,my bike IS a classic from the old days,,,,,ive paid 20 dollars for one main jet ,local ,,, need outweighs common sense, when you get desperate,,take your time,,, think it over,,, get a" factory manual" and take it from there,,,just dont think the meridan whores will be easy ,,they make you earn the ride ,,,seriously,, mines been makeing me earn it for over 9 years now ,but when right ,the bikes will wail like a banshee

RetroRob
08-03-2012, 9:15 AM
a few days a go my bike ran like yours, one cylinder was missing. i removed the plugs, a little sooty, cleaned them and put them in the opposite cylinder. bike ran like shit, sounded like a lawn mower. but the problem move to the other side, even though the plugs looked pretty good, i had a bad plug. I put new NGKs in and everything fired up OK, but I didnt realize how bad it was running till I got the carb straightened out.

If your a bit impatient like me, you can make the slide and jet openings bigger. You might fuck them up and will be waiting for your parts anyhow, good luck, keep us informed.

TheLakewoodKid2
08-03-2012, 9:38 AM
are you running a battery? or have you checked the charging?

SacredSteel63
08-03-2012, 9:53 AM
I am running a battery. Haven"t checked the charging.

SacredSteel63
08-03-2012, 5:28 PM
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the issue is resolved......again. I put new NKG B8ES plugs in, new wires (Harley Screaming Eagle Wires) only ones I could find that were the correct size, Changed the main jet from 250 to 230, changed the slide from a 3 to 3.5 like Torch kept telling me to do but I wouldn't listen, put the needle on the bottom slot. Don't really know what fixed the problem but really don't give a flying f*@k at this point, as long as it's fixed. Starts on the first kick, idles good, doesn't stall when I come to a stop, doesn't back fire, cough, spit, shit, fart, or pick it's ass. seems to be good now. Thanks Torch for all your good advice and thanks to everyone else.

Torch
08-03-2012, 9:07 PM
you guys are all welcome,
if you ever get out here to So Cal there's this great little bar near the shop called "The Salty Dog",
you can buy me a beer.

RetroRob
08-03-2012, 9:21 PM
you guys are all welcome,
if you ever get out here to So Cal there's this great little bar near the shop called "The Salty Dog",
you can buy me a beer.

It's a deal, if your ever back east it's dinner on me.

starwolf
08-04-2012, 4:44 AM
I apologize for the mis-information I gave, I really shouldn't "smoke" first thing in the morning.

dazegoneby
08-06-2012, 9:52 AM
I apologize for the mis-information I gave, I really shouldn't "smoke" first thing in the morning.
we all get side tracked time to time,,just wait till lunch for smoke break haha