PDA

View Full Version : Tools

Bonnevilleray
07-30-2012, 4:40 PM
I'm getting ready to tear down a '66 Triumph 650 motor and kinda lookin for a list of necessary tools to do it properly, I know there are a few ( Nice to have ) tools, I don't wanna go hog wild on the list to order. But would like a list from you all and possibly a one stop shop to purchase.
I sent the side covers and rocker covers out to powder today and will be sending out the cylinder for powder also. The cases and head will be a complete polish job..
Thanks much,
Ray

ThePete
07-30-2012, 5:43 PM
I don't know too much about Triumphs but CRFyou does, might wanna hit him up.

No matter where you go, there you are.

RetroRob
07-30-2012, 5:59 PM
Whitworth sockets and wrenches, clutch puller, TDC pin. 4 Aces rebuild videos

Bonnevilleray
07-30-2012, 6:12 PM
Thanks for the info so far.
Have the video and a decent assortment of whitworth stuff. I guess my main focus is on the specialty type items. Clutch hub puller, timing gear/cam puller, tappet block drift? You know. Things I'll probably only use once or twice..lol

RetroRob
07-30-2012, 7:32 PM
If u plan on a rebuild pick up an engine stand, I got a great one off eBay for around $35. Most the other speciality stuff you can get around, grind out an old screwdriver for a clutch nut tool

starwolf
07-31-2012, 5:00 AM
Clutch Hub Puller , Universal Puller, Pullrod Oil Seal Protector, & a Giant box of patience !

buddhistpunk77
07-31-2012, 5:13 PM
If you value your engine get the right pullers and triumph tools.making do only ends in tears scrapped knuckels and having to dig your wallet out anyhow!! do it right and hopefully do it once (unlikely!!) Jerome

Torch
07-31-2012, 9:48 PM
that tappet block puller is pretty much a waste of time, they never leak and you don't need to pull them out unless you change the jugs.

A pinion gear puller and clutch hub puller is essential, as is cam gear pullers and installers,
One of the most used tools is all the different hand made drifts, one to remove valve guides and a different one to install them. we also use a large drift set to install the main bearing races into the cases.
we also use a bunch of reamers, hones and then the cam bushing removal and installation tool and the associated cam bushing reams, valve seat cutters and don't forget a degree wheel to set cam timing.
one of my favorite little tools is the rocker shaft tapered "O" ring installer.

But I think the single most important tool is an oxygen / acetylene torch to heat the aluminum up to about 400 degrees to help remove bearing races and valve guides without damaging the aluminum.

Bonnevilleray
08-01-2012, 4:50 AM
Thanks much for the info.. time to go shopping!