PDA

View Full Version : sportster clutch

Garyc42660
07-29-2012, 9:01 PM
my buddies 1200 sporty took a shit on him last night...he was riding around and all of the sudden his tranny wasen't engaging after he let off the clutch...hes been telling me that his clutch has been super stiff for a while...he said when he puts it in 1st gear and lets off the clutch the bike dosent do shit...so i told him over the phone to adjust the clutch cable tension at the middle of the cable...he did and the bike started to bite inn 1st, not much but enough to get his ass home...any idea why it would do that when it was fine all day...gonna foward this link to my buddy so he can read it...thansk fellow 33'ers

threat357
07-29-2012, 9:17 PM
Stock clutch? The stock clutch has a riveted spring plate in the middle of the clutch pack. Those rivets bust and your clutch adjustment goes to shit. If that's the case, upgrade to a 9 friction plate setup. Also seen the wavy retainer on the shift detent plate fail and that'll mess up your shifting abilities.

Garyc42660
07-29-2012, 9:37 PM
Stock clutch? The stock clutch has a riveted spring plate in the middle of the clutch pack. Those rivets bust and your clutch adjustment goes to shit. If that's the case, upgrade to a 9 friction plate setup. Also seen the wavy retainer on the shift detent plate fail and that'll mess up your shifting abilities.

stock clutch from what i was told from my friend...im trying to make this as less diffuclt for him, he just rides and never wrenches...nwt the adjuster screw, do you turn it counter clockwise 1st then back 1/4 turn clockwise then the pack is adjusted?

threat357
07-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Yep. counter-clockwise til resistance is felt, than 1/4 turn clockwise. Adjust the clutch with all of the adjustment taken out of the cable. Once the clutch pack is adjusted, set your cable adjustment. If the riveted plate has failed, it'll all come back out of adjustment pretty quick after shifting a few times.
Pretty much have to pull your primary cover to inspect the shift detent plate and wavy spring retainer.

LDNCLR
07-30-2012, 8:01 AM

you can save some money by using all of the stock plates and just replace the spring steel with 2 regular steels and a fiber.

threat357
07-30-2012, 9:15 AM
you can save some money by using all of the stock plates and just replace the spring steel with 2 regular steels and a fiber.

True, but if the current plates are toasted, the whole clutch pack's gotta be replaced. In that case, Harley sells a SE Performance clutch pack that does without the riveted plate, and the whole setup costs a lot less than buying stock plates.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Garyc42660
08-02-2012, 3:28 PM
Went to my friends house to give him a hand, adjusted the clutch pack and cable, didnt do shit...when i opened up the cover it smelled like it was "burn't"...suffice to say i think he may have to repace the plates i think

threat357
08-02-2012, 3:59 PM
You are correct. No mistaking that smell.

Garyc42660
08-02-2012, 4:27 PM
You are correct. No mistaking that smell.

yup, opened the cover up and barely and fluid came out, and what fluid did come out looked like dirty as oil

threat357
08-02-2012, 4:37 PM
Normally, a specialty tool (identified in the service manual) is needed to remove the diaphragm spring to pull the clutch pack. Hopefully you have access to one, or can rig up something clever. Much easier on big twins:mad:

Garyc42660
08-02-2012, 4:39 PM
Normally, a specialty tool (identified in the service manual) is needed to remove the diaphragm spring to pull the clutch pack. Hopefully you have access to one, or can rig up something clever. Much easier on big twins:mad:

no tool, gonna have to rig something up

coldsmokejr
08-02-2012, 6:47 PM
Get a new clutch kit from energy one...it's cheap, and the tool comes with it!!!!!!

Garyc42660
08-03-2012, 7:34 AM
Get a new clutch kit from energy one...it's cheap, and the tool comes with it!!!!!!

Right on, i'll let hm know

RICsterXL1200
08-03-2012, 9:07 AM

2nd on the energy one pack. They're super awesome people (local to me) and tool does come with it. Pretty easy to replace clutch pack. Thing is you'll have to make sure if those rivets broke apart from spring plate that they didn't score the clutch basket. You'll have to pull the clutch pack out to see. If they did score basket, you'll need to either file it down smooth or if it's really bad actually replace it. I got lucky and caught it in time. Good luck!

Also I think Dan at Old Gold Garage carries the energy one pack. if you don't get it direct.

Garyc42660
08-03-2012, 4:04 PM
2nd on the energy one pack. They're super awesome people (local to me) and tool does come with it. Pretty easy to replace clutch pack. Thing is you'll have to make sure if those rivets broke apart from spring plate that they didn't score the clutch basket. You'll have to pull the clutch pack out to see. If they did score basket, you'll need to either file it down smooth or if it's really bad actually replace it. I got lucky and caught it in time. Good luck!

Also I think Dan at Old Gold Garage carries the energy one pack. if you don't get it direct.

right on, thanks..i'll forward this info to my friend

gonzoguilt
08-19-2012, 5:38 PM
Burned my clutch out yesterday on the way home. I had the cable adjusted too tight. It's an '06 XL1200. Is this the kit you're talking about?

http://www.energyoneclutches.com/product.php?productid=108&cat=13&page=1

Guano
11-06-2013, 4:19 PM
Burned my clutch out yesterday on the way home. I had the cable adjusted too tight. It's an '06 XL1200. Is this the kit you're talking about?

http://www.energyoneclutches.com/product.php?productid=108&cat=13&page=1

I believe that's correct. I just burned mine up too. looks like those guys are about to make some cash...

gonzoguilt
11-06-2013, 4:36 PM
They made my cash over year ago!

ironhead86
11-06-2013, 9:01 PM
The evo sportys I have worked on I have never adjusted the tension in the middle. If you adjust it right at the derby there is no issues. The same on a ironhead but instead of running 50wt that takes forever to warm up i use atf and they wont walk. Just my experience-"Hire A apprentice while they still know everything"
RTFM

Guano
11-09-2013, 4:21 PM
They made my cash over year ago!

Haha I meant my cash. the clutch working out pretty well for you?

gonzoguilt
11-09-2013, 5:14 PM
Haha I meant my cash. the clutch working out pretty well for you?

I'm liking it.

jjm82
11-25-2013, 11:23 AM
yup, opened the cover up and barely and fluid came out, and what fluid did come out looked like dirty as oil

Hey Gary. I know this is an old thread but what was the final outcome of this? Just the clutch or was it something else?