PDA

View Full Version : State Inspection Help

Pete
07-26-2012, 5:32 PM
Hey guys, going to have to have my bike inspected. I've been told by the deputy that I will need front and rear turn signals amongst a whole list of other BS. I'll be pulling them off after I pass, so I just need something temporary for the inspection. I figure I can just setup a small battery pack, handlebar switch, flasher module and the signals. Has anybody done this? Can I use LED signals (nice and small and cheap!)?

I'm running a no-battery setup (sparks EI, boyer light delay).

vnygra
07-26-2012, 6:04 PM
I wouldn't see why not. I'm sure the inspector won't be some crazy mechanic questioning the 2 batteries.

Torch
07-26-2012, 6:11 PM
if it was manufactured before Jan 1 1972 it is not required to have turn signals in any state, no state can require and vehicle to have equipment that was not required by the federal DOT requirements of the year of the vehicle.

have him look it up.

Pete
07-26-2012, 6:27 PM
Tony, thats what I was thinking too. Going to give him a call again tomorrow to see if I can clear this up.

dazegoneby
07-26-2012, 7:49 PM
ohio?, in va ,the guys at the garage,car that is, dont know, what actualy came on my bike1977 trump,,,, ,,to pass inspection, it needs good tires,working horn,mirror,head light/ high beam /low beam ,tail light ,stop light by front brake only ,stop light at the rear brake,rear running light,the exhaust will pass as straight pipes due to rule ,,,was,,,continuous pipeing from engine to exit no leaks or holes,solidly mounted ...does not say baffeled,,just continuous piece of pipeing....Did this to a exon inspection guy few years back(5)he scratched his head,,,, read the rule 2 times then slapped a sticker on it,,,funny thing is a bike shop would check every thing ,,,a car garage they dont know where to check brake pads, nor do they know how thick the pads are supposed to be ,nor do they have disc thickness numbers to go by unless they have specs on new bikes,,most dont,,,at a bike shop the guys, would look over the brakes, check your kill switches,, alot better than a car shop, unless they have a biker as car mech,,,, the turn signal thing is no problem,, here, we dont have to run them,,,,,,,,.i,d listen to guy who does your inspections ,first ,,where did the deputy come into this?,???Damnnn,,,

Bonnevilleray
07-26-2012, 8:10 PM
If your getting it inspected as a fresh build. You have to have turn signals,mufflers,horn, etc.. anything that a new bike has from the factory.
If its an out of state bike and you need it for an Ohio title. They just verify the numbers match the title.just a plain ol inspection for plates should only require what came from the factory.
I live in Ohio and have gone through this many times.
Hope this helps.

starwolf
07-27-2012, 8:02 AM
I wouldn't see why not. I'm sure the inspector won't be some crazy mechanic questioning the 2 batteries.

He's running a battery less system, so he will only have 1 battery. Nothing will look out of the ordinary to the inspector.
I say rig it up, though you may have to incorporate a horn relay, in addition to the blinker relay, I would say use a 3 position (left -right)sliding switch to use for a turn signal switch. LED's should be fine, (since your not even wiring them into your main electrical system.) Keep your headlight,tail/(front-back)brake light on your main system. They'll likely want to see a speedo that lights up, horn, at least 1 mirror(possibly 2),(most likely they'll want you to have) turn signals, good tire tread (used to be that they would use a dime, your tread needs to come up to the point at the bottom of the neck - minimum., though I don't know how they check now days, Oklahoma did away with inspections about 6 er 7 years ago.

You should be able to do all this reasonably cheap,(my guess is under $40, likely cheaper) and it don't have to look pretty, ghetto that shit up with electric tape and zip ties, you'll only need it for a little while anyways. Best of luck with yer inspection ............So glad they did away with them here!

Pete
07-28-2012, 6:30 AM
Looks like I've got some major work ahead of me!

So here's the scoop on an Ohio salvaged/assembled vehicle inspection I've got to do. Since I've "assembled" this bike from parts I've bought through ebay, local shops, overseas, etc. I need to have receipts for every part on the bike! Actually not a problem, I've got 99% of them. Then the Trooper explains to me that these receipts (for used parts, not new stuff) must be notarized in order to be considered legal. He went on to explain how just showing a receipt for a BSA frame, engine, fenders, etc. does not mean anything to him, he needs proof that the person I bought it from was the actual owner of the part. This is done by having the receipt notarized. Simply put, if the Trooper runs the serial number on the frame and engine and it comes up stolen then I'm busted for receiving stolen property. But...if I have a notarized receipt (bill of sale) then I'm in the clear and they go after the seller. Then I still loose the stolen part!

So now I have to contact the seller of the frame, fenders, gas tank, and other major "used" components and have them get their half of the receipt notarized! Holy shit what a pain in the ass!!!!

Then the Trooper explained that since this is an "assembled" vehicle it cannot be titled as a 1966 BSA, it will be a 2012 BSA A65 Hornet. And therefore will have to meet 2012 motorcycle requirements. So above and beyond the normal "chopper" bike stuff, I've got to install the follwoing crap: Front and rear turn signals, horn, speedometer, odometer, brake light working from front and rear, and mufflers. Shit!

Advice: DONT EVER BUY AN ENGINE OR A FRAME WITHOUT A TITLE!!!!!

StoneHead
07-28-2012, 7:01 AM
It's not that big of deal. You only need the notarized bill of sale on major components and theres no serial number on anything but the engine and frame(or tranny and forks if applicable), for all the state knows you bought everything from the same guy and you can put it all on one bill. Or two or three.

Here's what you may not know.......

If you didn't pay ohio sales tax on any parts(internet sales, etc.), your gonna get charged tax on those parts when you go apply for title. So have a least a hundred on ya when ya do.

I've gone this route a couple times and it sounds a lot worse than it is.

But then again, your inspector may be a prick. What county are you in?

Torch
07-28-2012, 10:14 AM
you are going about it all wrong,

I buy parts all the time off EBay and assemble complete bikes..... what I do is put the whole bike together and have a friend of yours write you out a bill of sale, (have it notarized), then go to DMV and tell them you bought this bike from your friend and he has had it for a long time and the title and plates was put in a box and was lost or destroyed in a fire...whatever. ( I always blame my X wife, saying she hated me and the bike and threw the title and plates away, they never argue with that one).
Then you can get it registered as a 66 BSA and not a 2012 SPCN or assembled bike.

Pete
07-29-2012, 6:36 AM
Torch: I've had that thought in the back of my head, I was just trying to do this all legal and shit. But now realizing the hassles I'm going to have to go through, that plan is sounding real great.

Thanks for the input everybody!

Torch
07-29-2012, 7:44 AM

send every one of them to me....

I buy every non titled frame or engine I can find, and I've been doing it for years.
every time I get a stack of old paperwork from a guy that died that gave it to his best friend, I throw all that paperwork in the trash,
It's no fun to get a missing signature from a missing guy,.... just have a friend sign you a "lost title bill of sale"

it usually takes me 15 minutes at DMV to get a "non titled" bike registered.

Pete
07-29-2012, 4:39 PM

send every one of them to me....

I buy every non titled frame or engine I can find, and I've been doing it for years.
every time I get a stack of old paperwork from a guy that died that gave it to his best friend, I throw all that paperwork in the trash,
It's no fun to get a missing signature from a missing guy,.... just have a friend sign you a "lost title bill of sale"

it usually takes me 15 minutes at DMV to get a "non titled" bike registered.

Tony, talked to my buddy today, going to go this route! Do you just use a generic "vehicle bill of sale" off the internet and get it notorized, or do you get a "Lost Title Bill of Sale" form from your DMV and have that notorized??

backwithabang
07-29-2012, 5:12 PM
What everyone needs to do is "know state law" and what I mean is to really research it. For example in NY where I reside if you have an engine prior to 71 (i think) all you need is a rubbing of the vin on a piece of paper. They check it, if it wasn't in "their" system for the last three years you just registered the bike in your name as pretty much whatever the hell you want to call it on paper. Hence I have boughnt yt a few triumphs that are clearly registered as the wrong year probably because the guy registering it had no idea on VIN numbers to begin with.

If it's newer and has no title and you are pretty damn sure the guy just lost it over the years and it's not being sold Hot, get it bonded by a company OR... if you happen to know anyone who lives in Maine you trust, sell it to him on paper only. He registers and insures it, then sells it back to you on paper with a DMV certificate from Maine that every other state must accept as a title because Maine doesn't have titles.

There are hundreds of ways to get around the law you just need to do due diligence. Going Legit and bonding a custom build in your state is usually the hardest way to do it. Receipts, paperwork, and "official" state inspection in which they go through that bike with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Buying a titled frame off ebay or he classifieds here may be cheaper and easier than that to throw the non titled motor in. Plus you get a frame out of it

as for inspections themselves, Bikes (especially these old ones) are not newer cars, they are not plugging them into a computer. Talk to local chopper and antique bike guys around town. I am sure they can point you in the direction of a shop that knows the drill. For the most part if they see you ride up and stop, your head light and brake light are working and your rubber isn't deadly they are going to give you as sticker. Duct taping signals on a post 71bike isn't that necessary if just don't go to prick for inspection. I just inspected my 80 ironhead chop and the mechanic asked where my signals were and I just said "attached to my shoulder". They are always going to claim your bike was legit when you brought it in anyway it's not their fault you ripped em off as soon as you left with your sticker.

just my 2 cents on the legal world of bikes.. but be smart, see below

Disclaimer...1)Drive like an asshole and that cop will hit you up for every violation you have regardless of your inspection sticker, so don't

2) if you are planning on making this a show bike (especially a classic Harley make sure that title is legit and everything matches on those cases, no way around that if that's what you want to do with that particular bike)

Torch
07-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Tony, talked to my buddy today, going to go this route! Do you just use a generic "vehicle bill of sale" off the internet and get it notorized, or do you get a "Lost Title Bill of Sale" form from your DMV and have that notorized??

I always use the short internet form and just put a hand written "lost title" statement at the bottom and signed by the seller, works every time.
we don't need bill of sale notarizing in California but you do need an "off record" Highway Patrol vin inspection.

Pete
07-30-2012, 5:34 AM
I always use the short internet form and just put a hand written "lost title" statement at the bottom and signed by the seller, works every time.
we don't need bill of sale notarizing in California but you do need an "off record" Highway Patrol vin inspection.

OK, how do you do an "off record" vin inspection? Just write down the serial numbers to the frame and engine and take them to the DMV or State Highway Patrol Inspection place and ask them to run them on a bike I'm thinking of buying??

Torch
07-30-2012, 8:51 AM
Here is how I do it.....
It may be different in every state but here in Cal an "off record" vehicle means the VIN is no longer exists in the DMV records, (in CA that happens in 7 years). That is a good thing, because it means there is no back fees due.
All you need to do is go to DMV and initiate the registration process with a proper bill of sale stating the date, VIN number and price you paid for the vehicle and a statement form the seller that he owns the vehicle and can't find the title and the license plate and the vehicle has not been parked or operated on and street or highway in whatever years the owner had it in his garage, (most times I say 8-10 years). Don't be stupid about the price of the vehicle, it's a "RED FLAG" to DMV if you try to say you bought a 2002 Road King for $150. Give the state a little sales tax revenue and they will give you a license plate.
To do a VIN inspection it needs to be a complete vehicle, not a running vehicle just complete. Sometimes the DMV will go outside and verify the numbers right then, but most times and always on Harley's they refer you to CHP for a trained VIN officer to look at them. They will give you an REG124 form and have you go to CHP for verification, We have an really good working arrangement with our local CHP VIN officer, we call the numbers in, they check the national data banks to see if it's stolen and then they come over to our shop and inspect a couple bikes every week. This allows CHP access to our shop and establishes a good working partnership with the Man. but anyone can call and make an appointment at their local highway patrol office and take the bike in for inspection. put the bike in a truck, Do not ride the bike in because that may get you a safety inspection ticket as well as a VIN inspection, and you don't want that. NOTE... (what ever you do,.. do not go to the Westminster CA CHP office, that guy is a super prick)
Don't bother calling CHP and asking them to run the numbers, typically CHP will not run numbers over the phone to check for stolen vehicles, they want to see the bike just in case they need to impound it.

At the risk of shameless self promotion, as a licensed Calif. B.A.R. repair shop I do a "friendly" state of CA Brake and light inspection and CHP inspections at my shop for all you guys trying to register "Salvage Title", SPCN title, or "off record" bikes ( it takes time, so there is a fee for this).

I hope this helps, ..Tony

Pete
08-16-2012, 5:34 AM
Well, that didn't work.

Had my best friend help me. We did a bill of sale for the bike and a letter stating his ownership of the bike. It was an ideal situation since his dad passed away about a year ago, and he had an old bike in his garage since before we were both born. So the letter stated that upon his death the bike was "gifted" to my buddy. We had both documents notarized. I took them to the title bureau yesterday (in Ohio we have seperate BMV and Title offices), and they wouldn't accept them. The lady explained that the old owner would need to file for a "lost title" for the bike, then transfer the bike to me like a normal sale by filling out the back of the title. Then I go back to the Title Bureau and transfer it into my name, then to the BMV to register and get plates.

I'm getting a little uneasy about getting my best bud involved to this level. My worry is that when the title bureau goes through the process of issuing a lost title will the engine and frame serial numbers come up in their search as belonging to different people? Or, do they even have records for a frame and engine from 1966?

If this whole thing works, the benefit is I can title the bike as a 1966 BSA Hornet. Not sure if there is a risk or not. Any thoughts guys?

starwolf
08-16-2012, 6:16 AM
You could just use a title service company, you pay them like $150, they do all of the paperwork and you get your title in 4-6 weeks. Here in Oklahoma, (likely similar in other states) there are a couple of ways to get a title 42 (lost title)
A: Mechanics Lien - This is when you have been authorized by the registered owner to perform work/services on their vehicle, when that person doesn't pay up, you file a mechanics lien and therefore obtain the title and legally take possession of said vehicle.
B: Storage Lien - This is when you have a vehicle on your property that you do not have a title for, and you have stored it on your property for a period of time (usually years) You can charge the last registered owner storage fees ($XX.xx pr day)

In both examples A & B, the last known registered owner must be contacted, or a good effort to do so must be completed, this includes sending them a certified letter (to the last known address for the last registered owner) stating that they owe $XX.xx (for authorized work performed, or storage), If they want the vehicle back, then they have to pay you. If the last known registered owner can not be contacted by certified letter, an ad (stating that you have X model Y year with Z VIN #), must be ran for 2 weeks in a local newspaper where the last registered owner resided. If the last known registered owner does not contact you to dispute the matter, then you get a title.

Yes you can do all of this yourself, your local DMV should have all the necessary forms for you to fill out, but , it takes time, it is a headache most guys don't want to fuck with. A lot of guys just use a title service, pay the $150 (or whatever) so they don't have to mess with all the paperwork, and bureaucratic bullshit themselves.

Pete
08-16-2012, 7:12 AM
You could just use a title service company, you pay them like $150, they do all of the paperwork and you get your title in 4-6 weeks. Here in Oklahoma, (likely similar in other states) there are a couple of ways to get a title 42 (lost title)
A: Mechanics Lien - This is when you have been authorized by the registered owner to perform work/services on their vehicle, when that person doesn't pay up, you file a mechanics lien and therefore obtain the title and legally take possession of said vehicle.
B: Storage Lien - This is when you have a vehicle on your property that you do not have a title for, and you have stored it on your property for a period of time (usually years) You can charge the last registered owner storage fees ($XX.xx pr day)

In both examples A & B, the last known registered owner must be contacted, or a good effort to do so must be completed, this includes sending them a certified letter (to the last known address for the last registered owner) stating that they owe $XX.xx (for authorized work performed, or storage), If they want the vehicle back, then they have to pay you. If the last known registered owner can not be contacted by certified letter, an ad (stating that you have X model Y year with Z VIN #), must be ran for 2 weeks in a local newspaper where the last registered owner resided. If the last known registered owner does not contact you to dispute the matter, then you get a title.

Yes you can do all of this yourself, your local DMV should have all the necessary forms for you to fill out, but , it takes time, it is a headache most guys don't want to fuck with. A lot of guys just use a title service, pay the $150 (or whatever) so they don't have to mess with all the paperwork, and bureaucratic bullshit themselves.

Starwolf: Thanks, seems like a lot of BS. I've read here on CC about the title companies. Any info (names, etc.) on those?

starwolf
08-16-2012, 9:48 AM
Starwolf: Thanks, seems like a lot of BS. I've read here on CC about the title companies. Any info (names, etc.) on those?

I tried to contact a local woman who ran a title service, but I think she passed away. I'm in a similar situation as you, minus the whole inspection part, thank god we did away with them a few years back. I do know that there are companies that work nationwide, but I'm trying to find a local company if at all possible, then it's just a matter of having the cash available when I find them.
I could do it myself, but it IS a lot of bullshit, personally, I'd rather pay someone else to do all the leg work for me.

I will also note that I believe you sort of end up having to sell the vehicle for whatever amount the repair or storage fees are. Usually this is done to the title company (on paper) then the title company "sells" it back to you, and then you get the title in your name, with the actual production year for that vehicle.

Torch
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Most states destroy old records after several years of no activity, so they usually have "no record" of these old non registered vehicles,
what I do is go in with the VIN number and ask them if there is any back fees due on this bike, AFTER they say they have "no record of this vehicle" then I tell them that already I own the bike, it's been in my garage for many years, many years ago I had it registered in a "non operation" title in my name and I lost the title and plates when I moved.
after that they collect some money from me issue me a duplicate title in my name and hand me my new license plate.

Yes, I know that's a lie, but it's not stealing or defrauding anyone out of a motorcycle, it's just simple enough way for the simple minded clerks at DMV to understand and gets a bike on the road again.

You guys need to learn how to lie better, our government is built on this premise.

starwolf
08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
True Torch, though I TRY to be an honest feller, I am not lying when I state I have possession and have had possession for xx years, and that I am seeking the last known registered owner. Usually if the last owner even see's the certified letter, or the ad, they most generally say something like" eh too many bad memories on that bike, i don't want it back" ,"fuck that bike it almost killed me", " I don't have the cash to buy my old bike back" ," fuck it , its been 24 years since it was mine, someone else can enjoy it now" or they don't reply at all, possibly due to death, imprisonment, relocation, living off the grid, age,mental status, homelessness, alien abduction or other reasons.