PDA

View Full Version : Biltwell megaflake crash report

Robhall
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Well I decided to take a little ride yesterday, and about an hour and a half away from home outside Ocala, FL some dude thought it would be a good idea to pull out in front of me then stop in front of the next turn in. I was probably going around 45-50 (no speedo so not positive) and I had to lock up the back and get hard on the front. At the last second I put it down and slid under the back of his car. After pulling myself from underneath this dude's Dodge Caliber I picked up the bike and started assessing the damage. I was fine. I had my helmet on, a leather jacket, jeans, work boots, and some nice sportbike gloves. I have a bruise on my thigh from where I landed on my phone and my eyebrow is a little swollen, but other than that I'm fine. My jacket and gloves are a little rashed up, and I'm damn glad I was wearing them because otherwise that would've sucked. Even though I can't really see any damage on the helmet I'm sure it greatly helped since I kind of remember bouncing my dome off the bottom of the car onto the pavement. The bike isn't that bad either. It went down on the left side before attempting to butt rape the back of the car. The left peg mount is bent, my license plate mount and headlight mount are pretty twisted and i got a little dent in the side of my tank. My drag bars are bent back, but honestly I like them better the way they are now lol. Also the front fender needs a little "massaging" to get back straight. the guy's car wasn't bad either. I knocked his rear bumper loose but he managed to put it back on. Some guy even pulled over who saw it happen to see if I needed any help. I couldn't ride it home since the front fender was rubbing the tire and the way the peg mount was bent I couldn't push in the clutch pedal. I called my roommates to grab my truck and come get me and luckily it happened in front of a Tilted Kilt, so after I got the guy's name and number in case I needed it I went in for happy hour.
Now for the pictures:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/robheezy/f52fdae4.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/robheezy/178f96a4.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/robheezy/0e47b173.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/robheezy/6f6487ca.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/robheezy/604aab0e.jpg

davidabl
07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
I hope Fla isn't like CA..where they'd probably find you at fault for the accident, not the driver of the car,

2stroketim
07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Sucks man - glad that you're ok though....bike looks like it shouldnt take much to get it right again.

Robhall
07-23-2012, 10:43 AM
The police never showed up, and since no-one was hurt we just swapped info and parted ways. And I doubt it will take much work. I've been meaning to make some new peg mounts for a while now to raise them up a little. I'll try to fix the plate mount, but I might have to make a new one. The headlight mount is toast though. Hopefully I'll be able to find a new one locally, if not I'll have to make an order. I need to pull the forks though and make sure they're still straight.

xsjoel
07-23-2012, 10:47 AM
No shit, I like the bars better now too.

ThePete
07-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Glad to hear you're doing well and the bike isn't too bad. Gonna make pitching replacing the beater full face I got with the wife when Biltwell comes out with their full face.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Robhall
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Glad to hear you're doing well and the bike isn't too bad. Gonna make pitching replacing the beater full face I got with the wife when Biltwell comes out with their full face.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I'm not gonna lie, after hitting the deck and seeing the muffler and rear suspension of the car rapidly approaching my face I was expecting the worst. Luckily it turned out about as good as it could have.

XxXombee
07-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Glad to hear you made it out with just a couple minor bumps. The bike doesn't look too bad either...hope you can get it sorted out and back on it soon.

Nosebleed
07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Man, I had a similar accident in 1997 but chose to go up and over the car instead of down and under. Bike ended up totaled but I didn't. Glad you made it out ok and the bike can be saved as well.

Good choice on wearing the riding gear, even if it may not be Hipster approved fashion. Massive skin grafts are probably not Hipster approved either.

forgivemeasinner
07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Glad you're alright man. I've had a few panic stops where I've locked the rear, then my brain kicks in and grabs the front, downshifts, and pulls it out. There's stereotypes for a reason, damn cagers are so disconnected from everything outside their vehicle they don't think about anything but themselves.

Anyway, glad you are good man. Ride Free!

sfos
07-23-2012, 7:09 PM
Glad your alright. You got lucky. Was it the Nov or dot version?

Robhall
07-23-2012, 8:49 PM
It's the novelty version. I bought it before the DOT was released.

SeaChicken
07-23-2012, 11:45 PM
glad to hear your ok andth bike doesn't look too bad off either. People talk shit about leather jackets but when you go down they save your ass.

billdozer
07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Glad to hear you are OK!

Graham1
07-25-2012, 8:49 AM
Glad you made it out alright, man.

JasperAsh
07-26-2012, 2:10 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're okay, too. I just picked up a biltwell novelty. I've read a couple other stories about how they held up during spills. I know that each accident is different and you can never predict the outcome, but I'm glad to know that I'll be wearing something that has some kind of protective value. I hope you get the bike back in good shape soon.

felon
07-26-2012, 2:24 PM
i went down twice with biltwell nov's and they did the job to perfection. first wreck i was wearing a mega flake and it peeled off the flake on the left side but otherwise held nicely.