PDA

View Full Version : capacitor question

61xlh
07-22-2012, 10:16 AM
ive looked at the wiring threads, and didnt find the answer, so im gonna start a new thread.
when putting a cap in place of the battery, i dont get which terminals on the switch to put the wires from the cap.
on the lowbrow diagram, it looks like the bike was just wired, and the cap added as an afterthought.
on my cap, there are two terminals, one of which has two terminal connections.
specifically, where do the wires go on the cap, and where do they come from?
ive always used mity max, but they are getting very hard to find. ive bought two (used) in the last year, both supposedly "came off a running bike...........
did the bike run BEFORE or after it came off?

Torch
07-22-2012, 1:08 PM
typically the capacitors used on British bikes had 2 negative terminals and one positive terminal, but most times the positive on is marked with a red dot.

61xlh
07-22-2012, 1:31 PM
glad you caught this torch
here is where i am:
im hooked up with - ground, that is, red wire off the tympanium
goin to the battery terminal on the switch, the black wire grounded.
i have a sparx capacitor, and the double terminal is marked with a red stake, the single marked black.
so am i correct in running the red wire off the tymp to one of the red terminals on the cap, then running the wire off the second red terminal to the battery terminal on the switch, and grounding the black terminal to the frame?
if so, could i ground both wires at the same point for convenience?
i have a weak spark without the cap, so i think im wired correctly, so far..........
mil gracias, torch

Torch
07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
glad you caught this torch
here is where i am:
im hooked up with - ground, that is, red wire off the tympanium
goin to the battery terminal on the switch, the black wire grounded.
i have a sparx capacitor, and the double terminal is marked with a red stake, the single marked black.
so am i correct in running the red wire off the tymp to one of the red terminals on the cap, then running the wire off the second red terminal to the battery terminal on the switch, and grounding the black terminal to the frame?
if so, could i ground both wires at the same point for convenience?
i have a weak spark without the cap, so i think im wired correctly, so far..........
mil gracias, torch

it sounds like that will work, however I'd run the red wire from the Tympainum directly to the Bat. terminal of the switch and a separate red wire going from the Cap + terminal to the same Bat. terminal on the switch. the negative terminal of the Cap can also just run to chassis ground.