PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Dave Mann Chopperfest... is it on, is it off...

lowfiron
01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I talked to Kurt today who talked to Cory. It costs too much to run, the fairgrounds charge twice as much and the weren't many builders. There were lots of entries in the show.
Now I'm really bummed I didn't bring my camera.
There's still the Primer Nationals, I suppose there's Back to the Beach (not sure if that's on or not).

Jashole
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
im pretty sure its at the beach... dont quote me on it though

Allen
01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
That's a bummer. I've been to several of the DM shows and always had a great time. Last year (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8730972@N05/sets/72157622870570209/) (this year, kinda) was different due to rain I'm sure, but the two years prior were both rocking. The Primers show does FILL THE FAIRGROUNDS, that's for sure... If it's true (and I hope it's not), but if it is, and there's no more David Mann Chopper Fest, I'm sure the "entries" (if they're not the builders... I don't know) will adjust and we'll be seeing them at other shows. David Mann (the legend) will just have to send a "change of address" form to a new show...

billdozer
01-07-2010, 11:03 PM
That's a shame if it's true. Wonder why "builders" matter if there were plenty of paying vendors, show entries and spectators? As shows go, I always thought this was a good one.

Revelator
01-08-2010, 12:20 AM
I think they are refering to the "Well Known" builders that the masses are familiar
with you know guys like russell mitchell (exile). you know with there humongus tractor trailer
rigs that use alot of real estate. Exile used to vend at the chopfest. Maybe it was the rain that scared 'em away. bummer.

willythepirate
01-08-2010, 12:47 AM
I hope this isnt true I had a blast at the last one

fouraceswes
01-08-2010, 1:19 PM
Weird. The primer nationals PACKS them (cars and vendors) in at the same venue and is a very successful show. It has no "builders" to feature. You don't see the official Chip Foose peanut wagon there, you don't see the Boyd Coddington Legacy team in action.

The David Mann show does not suffer because the Exiles and the Big Balls TV Choppers Crew is not there. I wonder why it suffers when the PN's knock it out of the park.

I wonder if the "economic downturn" hits the motorcycle crowd more than it hits the HotRod Crowd? I doubt it. It is curious, but I think we paid $40 for a vendor spot? I would have paid double, especially if they had gotten our payment ;). the entry for a motorcycle was $30, which was steep, but you got a free tee shirt, so it is really $15, which is CHEAP. Maybe it boils down to how much money is made. Is it a killing or a modest profit, often things go belly up because there is no profit at all, but sometimes it is a matter of too much work for not quite enough profit. Where are all the junior millionaries with nothing but time on their hands to promote this thing and keep it going for what is probably a modest profit? Only trouble with that is that now i suppose the name alone is worth 100 Grand. Back to the modest profit/big killing conundrum.

I speculate that the actual people who come out and support that event in the long run were left out of the business plan. The garage builder, the normal guy, the small shop which does not have a big trailer and a crew of nubile stippers to pass out fliers. They were pushed aside because at the time the DM show started, the EXILES and Orange COunty Choppers of the world were where it was at for event promotion. It drew BIG CROWDS, thousands of people buying hats at $40 bucks and autographs for $20 more. DM aspired to be that BIG SHOW with autograph worthy "featured builders." Just look at the promos over the years. That market died about a year and a half ago. The big guys are gone or sucking wind, the TV shows are gone or suck.

DM just needs someone to adapt it to a new market. I am not saying that it would be easy, and i am not saying that "I could run it better" because that would be talking out my ass, I could not, I know my limitations. Just saying maybe there is room for it to survive under a new business plan.

Anyway, I hate to see it go. Maybe someone could take it over and do it right/better.

cro
01-08-2010, 3:50 PM
Could'nt agree more or say it better Wes! I think the Dave Mann tag to the show is what kept it alive after the glam builders didn't want to do the show cause there was no apprence fees paid, so the younger cats building the retro scoots came in droves.
I sure hope someone grabs it and makes it better. It would be a damn shame to lose this show..

lowfiron
01-08-2010, 4:12 PM
All I heard was it barely covered expenses. I don't really know enough to speculate on what a better business plan would be or what. It was a conversation between me and Kurt and Kurt is close to Cory, I know that. For Cory's age it seemed ambitious, his step dad (?) started it.
I do think things are shaking out differently in the bike builder world- pro shop or home build and that's not bad but it might leave a few wrecks on the road.
Sorry about the bad news. Hey! Danny Collins!

H34TH3N
01-08-2010, 6:07 PM
Just my dumbass opinion but there have been many decent shows that have either died or had to change their date...ive got a feeling if they had it in the summer, they would have twice the turnout. Not alot of people wanna drink cold beer or ride in the rain or at the very least 30 or 40 degree temps to check out bikes.....some guys on this board yea, but definetly not the masses with the wallets. Quit booking shit in the friggin winter and maybe youll get a turnout, just a thought.

dalebfast
01-08-2010, 8:36 PM
Smartest answer yet, Heathen.

Jashole
01-08-2010, 8:41 PM
Just my dumbass opinion but there have been many decent shows that have either died or had to change their date...ive got a feeling if they had it in the summer, they would have twice the turnout. Not alot of people wanna drink cold beer or ride in the rain or at the very least 30 or 40 degree temps to check out bikes.....some guys on this board yea, but definetly not the masses with the wallets. Quit booking shit in the friggin winter and maybe youll get a turnout, just a thought.

well said brotha!!

kingdeadbeat
01-09-2010, 1:20 AM
This whole scene is dying. Nothing wrong with weeding out the trailer queens and money grubbers. To lose a good event like the David Mann will only affect the ones who are there for a trophy...for every big name event that we lose, we will gain an EDR/Gypsy/Born Free/Cycle Zombies......Where the real riders will always show up in flocks...

just my opinion... anyone feel the same?

Halwade
01-09-2010, 1:34 AM
This whole scene is dying. Nothing wrong with weeding out the trailer queens and money grubbers. To lose a good event like the David Mann will only affect the ones who are there for a trophy...for every big name event that we lose, we will gain an EDR/Gypsy/Born Free/Cycle Zombies......Where the real riders will always show up in flocks...

just my opinion... anyone feel the same?

The DMCF is one of the good events KDB refers to, but I understand and agree with the spirit of your message.

Nothing good ever got done by waiting for other people to do it. EDR's, Gypsy Runs, Born Frees, and Twine Ball Runs don't happen by accident...

They happen b/c good people try to do good things.

Take the bull by the horns, people.

If your scene is a turd, it's not going to polish itself.

It needs elbow grease.

Let's get our hands dirty and do something.

SSforever
01-09-2010, 2:05 AM
all good things eventually come to an end. Plenty of events out there providing quality entertainment.

AfterHours
01-10-2010, 2:14 AM
I'd pay a bit more in as a vendor for the DM, it's a great event. I'd say charge a small percentage more and give it another year.

As for the winter thing, if you can't handle a SoCal winter day I don't know what to tell you. I've been there for the past 3 years and this was the coldest in the 60's. I'd also guess the fairgrounds are booked full during the other 3 seasons and the rates are even higher. I think the event is at a great time as the summer is just too damn packed with other events, and that most vendors would pass as they're pretty busy during the riding months. Having it right after the Mooneyes show is perfect (usually).

I absolutely love that Chica shows up and puts out some of his odds & ends like everybody else. He won't return my emails but I really dig his work and make it a point to say hello. As far as Russel Mitchell not showing up anymore.....whatever. Look at his rig, he thinks he's really a model.

DuaneBallard
01-11-2010, 8:48 AM
It's bullshit. It's still on. - Duane

Revelator
01-11-2010, 9:55 AM
scare tactic to see how much we would miss if it was pulled?
now watch the fees go up. haha.

AfterHours
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I talked to Kurt today who talked to Cory. It costs too much to run, the fairgrounds charge twice as much and the weren't many builders....blah,blah

....attention whore....

If the fees go up a bit, I'm still gonna be there. Now it really depends when they move it too, as that's all they're trying to do.

lowfiron
01-11-2010, 10:40 PM
....attention whore....

If the fees go up a bit, I'm still gonna be there. Now it really depends when they move it too, as that's all they're trying to do.
who? me? I'm just reporting what I heard, what if he changes his mind? I don't know, but what I heard and understood, it's over. I'm disappointed, that's it.
Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, now the cats out of the bag, I don't think it's a tease on Cory or Kurt's part, they are available, if you think it's bullshit give them a ring. If you want to talk to me about it I will be around. If you think I'm an Attention Whore you can talk to me personally, any time, PM me.

AfterHours
01-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Tory emailed me this morning, they're just looking at changing the dates. The show is on, thankfully.

lowfiron
01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
I spoke to soon.
I'm glad it's on.

DuaneBallard
01-12-2010, 12:51 AM
who? me? I'm just reporting what I heard, what if he changes his mind? I don't know, but what I heard and understood, it's over. I'm disappointed, that's it.
Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, now the cats out of the bag, I don't think it's a tease on Cory or Kurt's part, they are available, if you think it's bullshit give them a ring. If you want to talk to me about it I will be around. If you think I'm an Attention Whore you can talk to me personally, any time, PM me.

I gave them a ring and it's not true. -

lowfiron
01-18-2010, 10:45 PM
I even got Torie's name wrong. He must have been whining to Kurt. I was not there, I heard it from Kurt and he's not a liar.
It will be a year from now at anyrate. Hope it turns out well for him.

altshovel
04-07-2010, 2:14 PM
I talked to Tory's partner. It might or might not happen. I was told it was not happening.
So, all you jerks can kiss my ass!! Hahahaha

Allen
04-07-2010, 4:04 PM
Wait... it might be on, and, it might be off?

altshovel
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I do hope it happens. There are doubts and there has to be a change of venue, that I heard from the horses mouth. Then look at Irish Rich's artical in the Horse.

The point was, what I posted at the beginning of this thread was basically the truth, no matter who called Tory or what Tory might or might have not said. I'm sure he's hoping for the best.
My comment about they made no money. That is their comment; Tory and partner.

If you are concerned, maybe you have an idea that would help them? Don't post it, call them.
This might have something to do with the economy, think??

At the beginning, I was expressing my concern, no judgement, no condemnation.

Best wishes to Tory and partner- not you.

altshovel
04-08-2010, 11:31 AM
It's bullshit. It's still on. - Duane
Bullshit right back at ya.

altshovel
04-08-2010, 11:33 AM
....attention whore....

lets meet buddy, PM me.

OldGoldGarageCo
09-17-2010, 1:56 PM
It's on, December 12th

OldGoldGarageCo
09-17-2010, 3:07 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_q_rtuNNYBBk/TJPMO_INroI/AAAAAAAACqM/whHXMeW95jc/s1600/chopfest.jpg