PDA

View Full Version : First Build - Suzki boulevard s50

hammerhead
01-07-2010, 6:55 PM
im sure i'm opening my self up here with the questions im about to ask, but i am attempting to modify my first bike. by some twist of fate I got my hands on a 2006 Suzuki boulevard s50 (pic attached) after some dudes wife said he had to get rid of it. Its totally the bike that is owned by a dude that would let his wife tell him he cant ride, which is why I need your help. I donít know shit about building bikes but I have tools and the manual so I should be good with maintenance, I just need a little direction when it comes to customization.

anyways...

i found a set of risers and your tracker handlebars made by Biltwell that i am going to pickup. Am I able to make these work with this bike? The issue that I see is the speedometer, which I donít seem to see on any bikes that I think look cool in pictures. I donít think I need a tac, but I would imagine that I need a speedometer and mileage gauge if only for gas-distance purposes. Are there any solutions that anyone recommends? do i have to have a speedometer?

my other question before i get started is, is there any reason i cant just rip of the mufflers? will this hurt the performance of the bike?

any other tips would be greatly appreciated and im sure ill have a bunch more annoying newbie questions to come, but i gotta start somewhere.

earz
01-07-2010, 8:37 PM
That bike is the same as the intruder. They made an 800 and 1400, so do some searches for intruder builds for some ideas. Here's my fave. (stolen from another board)

http://www.bobbertalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=67654&highlight=#67654

bigdaddy
01-07-2010, 9:02 PM
i went from the 4.5 gallon tank to the 3 gallon tank and wanted a way to check my fuel. i built a sight gauge for pretty cheap using fittings from a hardware store, some clear fuel line, and a couple of bungs from bungking.com. about three weeks after building it, i saw that flyrite makes a sight gauge for about 40 bucks. i still have a speedo, but i never reset the mileage anymore. the sight gauge rocks.

i think there are different laws in different states for stuff like that...mirrors on certain sides, helmet laws, turn signals. i guess you could check into whether or not you need a speedo.

as for the pipes, it sounds like a re-jet will be in need. sounds like they would be comparable to L.A.F. pipes, or maybe open drag pipes.

hammerhead
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
That bike is the same as the intruder. They made an 800 and 1400, so do some searches for intruder builds for some ideas. Here's my fave. (stolen from another board)

http://www.bobbertalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=67654&highlight=#67654

that bike is bad-ass, thanks for the push in the right direction.

hammerhead
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
i went from the 4.5 gallon tank to the 3 gallon tank and wanted a way to check my fuel. i built a sight gauge for pretty cheap using fittings from a hardware store, some clear fuel line, and a couple of bungs from bungking.com. about three weeks after building it, i saw that flyrite makes a sight gauge for about 40 bucks. i still have a speedo, but i never reset the mileage anymore. the sight gauge rocks.

i think there are different laws in different states for stuff like that...mirrors on certain sides, helmet laws, turn signals. i guess you could check into whether or not you need a speedo.

as for the pipes, it sounds like a re-jet will be in need. sounds like they would be comparable to L.A.F. pipes, or maybe open drag pipes.

Thanks for the advice. don't know if i have hit the welding stage yet, but definitely good to know.

as for pipes, you think the only downside would be that they were super loud? it would not ruin the performance after a re-jet?

bigdaddy
01-08-2010, 9:31 AM
i love a little backpressure, and i'm constantly told that open drag pipes are terrible for performance. i don't think you want to open them totally up unless you're running down a drag strip, but i'd bet dollars to donuts that there are a lot of custom pipes on this site that don't have baffles. i've seen guys run just the headers on their bikes, and it does look cool. i also know a couple of guys who have damaged their right ear from running no baffles. i guess it just depends on who you talk to. i'm running the screamin' eagle two pipes on my bike. they are lightly baffled. they perform well, and they sound really good (in my opinion). one of my buddies is running some v&h longshots without baffles. riding next to him for a long period of time makes for a long ride. his old lady complains about the ringing in her ear a lot. i live in indiana, and we don't have to wear a helmet, so that makes the noise a bit louder on the road. i'd think you could just pull the slip on muffler off and try it. see what it does. i didn't rejet my bike with just a pipe switch. i waited until the air cleaner was installed. see what happens. you can always put the slip on muffler back on if it sucks. i'm definitely not an expert. this is just my two cents. i know there are some guys on here that are considered to be a genius when it comes to this stuff. i hope one of those guys chimes in here real soon. it would make me feel a lot better about the advice that i've given you. good luck, and ride safe. enjoy choppin' the bike!