PDA

View Full Version : Tranny trouble

RetroRob
07-17-2012, 6:31 PM
Getting the bugs out of my unit 650. Gearbox seems to shift ok, but having the danmest time finding neutral. I go from 1st to 2nd back and forth a dozen times and am lucky if I finally find neutral. At a signal I can't take my hand of the clutch. Help.

HotSnotRocket
07-17-2012, 6:37 PM
http://cdn.stripersonline.com/1/1a/1ab109a6_tbash-3.jpeg

This is a Tranny.

Your problem with finding Neutral is your clutch is not releasing.

Yea, I am sorry.

dazegoneby
07-17-2012, 6:38 PM
if clutch not adjusted to fully disengage clutch unit ,,will cause shifting to be touchy,,,=too loose of cable adjustment,{,first thought }seeing only symptom,hard to say

starwolf
07-17-2012, 7:04 PM
sounds like it may be in the adjustment (thank yourself you have a normal Triumph clutch)
This really only applies to the cable itself as I have never worked on a "Normal" Triumph clutch, , My Triumph has a different clutch set up.
A.1st step to proper clutch adjustment,(atleast from my personal experience) is remove the cable (even if it is new !) hold the cable at the outter sheathing between thumb and forefinger. hold up high so as not to touch the floor with it. pull inner cable up and release it, if it doesn't fall freely back through the outer sheathing, throw it away and get a new cable. I highly recommend Venhill Featherlight clutch cables.

B. Oil new cable, (a cable oiler and WD-40 work well.) Install clutch cable and take note of routing, making sure not to make any tight bends(you want large radius bends), have any pinch points, or rub spots, Do not use zip ties to make it become one with your frame, you can use them (sparingly) but don't cinch them up so tight that the cable can't move freely.

C. make adjustment to clutch housing first, then use the handlebar adjuster to take up the slack.

D. You will likely need to make adjustments to your Clutch Pullrod , as it sounds like its not disengaging the clutch fully.

E. Tips for "finding it" at stop, try this. Try "finding it" BEFORE you come to a complete stop. I would not recommend holding the clutch in at every light ,all the time, you WILL burn your clutch out MUCH faster than it aught to. You may also try rolling forward (via foot power) a little bit while"trying to find it".

RetroRob
07-17-2012, 7:09 PM
Nice tranny,I was expecting something like that.
I've been fighting the clutch for a week now.replaced the ramp and ball unit. Adjusted the stop on the other end of the rod. Keep dicking with cables. I have a home made cable because stock one was too short. I have inverted levers so needed about 6 over.
Plates are all new.
Would backing off on the brass nuts help, if I go too much it slips when I kick start it.

wilkie
07-18-2012, 9:36 AM
Unfortunatly this is a common problem on T120,s.I have a hydraulic clutch fitted to mine but it still hard to find neutral when the bike is hot.

Torch
07-18-2012, 9:44 AM
Nice tranny,I was expecting something like that.
I've been fighting the clutch for a week now.replaced the ramp and ball unit. Adjusted the stop on the other end of the rod. Keep dicking with cables. I have a home made cable because stock one was too short. I have inverted levers so needed about 6 over.
Plates are all new.
Would backing off on the brass nuts help, if I go too much it slips when I kick start it.

we see it many times the problems of proper clutch disengagement issues are the amount of cable pull on aftermarket levers, one of the worst ones are those Taiwan copies of the Tommiselli levers. many times if you adjust it enough to disengage the clutch the clutch ends up slipping.

rule #1 of customizing....... When you modify one thing, you modified several other things.