PDA

View Full Version : No Battery... No Mag ????

HumblePie68
07-17-2012, 4:25 PM
Ok so, I'm told that you can run a Triumph with no batter or Mag,, could someone enlighten me to how this works ?

Thanks

fightclub
07-17-2012, 4:33 PM
just contact Tony at Classic Cycles, he has a whole kit with wiring instructions and and you will be on your way. If you search on the Triumph board you will see several posts by "Torch" on the subject

dazegoneby
07-17-2012, 5:42 PM
OK Humble few diagrams...these are few different waysI am doing this with older boyer bradson box,points no battery, only,kickstart.actualy reliable,but torch can set you straight if you wanted to go capacitor setup, like the old desert bikes would run,or the setup he has for about 400 ...

HumblePie68
07-17-2012, 5:54 PM
ahh,, The bike I picked up is set up this way,,just never heard of such a thing ( other than my old XR-75 ) Pretty neat,,do you end up with a head light like you would have with a mag ?

dazegoneby
07-17-2012, 6:02 PM
had the low beam driving light ,then normal high beam but the light dosent flicker that much just at slow idle, also set idle up a tad

HumblePie68
07-17-2012, 6:19 PM
Very cool thanks

dazegoneby
07-17-2012, 6:21 PM
:cheersmate:

RetroRob
07-17-2012, 6:27 PM
I've got mine set up with electronic ignition and sparx battery elimator , head light has to be turned off to start.

starwolf
07-17-2012, 6:36 PM
Aye, I believe Torch sets his up with a Sparx battery eliminator, a Pazon surefire EI, and a Boyer light delay. This way when the bike is turned on and kicked to life, the lights come on automatically after the system gets enough juice stored / flowing. Otherwise (without the Boyer light delay) you'll need to wire in a (manual) switch to kill the headlight when starting. As they usually draw too many amps. Then you get into Positive Ground or Negative Ground. Most sane individuals convert them over to negative ground, then there are some idiots (like me) that keep them positive ground.

HumblePie68
07-17-2012, 7:26 PM
Ok this set up is about 20 years old,, so not sure what all the parts actually are. Nod see a mity maxx or anything like that

backwithabang
07-17-2012, 10:26 PM
i know speedandnoise has 3 mittymaxx's for sale right now, or did 2 days ago

HumblePie68
07-18-2012, 6:36 AM
So ? Magneto then ?? hotter spark , less wires ? Would seem since this can be done would be alot cheaper and cleaner than a Mag set up ,,or am I missing something :o

backwithabang
07-18-2012, 6:39 AM
Well you can pay anywhere from 200-400 for an electric ignition with or without battery.

Or a mag for 800 new, sometimes used for 4-500.

I personally like mags. They can be a bitch to set/time right and often there are issues jamming that thing into certain year camshafts (threading/ bolts needing to be cut etc). But once it's dialed in its kick and go

Hunt mags also don't have auto advance though so you sort of set it at full advance, nasty kickback on a misfire and the real tech /performance guys don't seem to like the takeoff

HumblePie68
07-18-2012, 7:24 AM
here,s the bits

Torch
07-18-2012, 9:00 AM
That mess you have is just the stock Triumph components with a Lucas capacitor , properly done it will work fine.

As far as I know the Mity-max has not been made in years,but it was a good product. there are many other battery eliminators on the market from the Boyer to Sparx and a Tympainum with a Lucas Capacitor.

A battery eliminator has a built in capacitor is different from a regulator unit like a Podtronics or Tympainum

I make up and sell a No Battery kit containing a Boyer light delay battery eliminator with an Pazon electronic ignition,coil, mounting bracket, fuse and switches and a real simple wiring diagram and sell for about $425 depending on what switch options you want.
here is a pic of how my No Battery Kit components are all mounted under the motor.
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/A1dunn/nobatterytray2.jpg
It ends up keeping back side of the engine area clean like this bike we did....http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/A1dunn/sugartailshot.jpg

backwithabang
07-18-2012, 9:39 AM
That's a slick way to mount those things

HumblePie68
07-18-2012, 10:01 AM
That mess you have is just the stock Triumph components with a Lucas capacitor , properly done it will work fine.

LOL,, I love that " That mess", so whats teh deal,, just kinda makes it like an old dirt bike ? kick en go ?

Is there a place that goes into the " theory " of this stuff ?

RetroRob
07-18-2012, 5:32 PM
Your all ready here.

Torch
07-18-2012, 6:13 PM
LOL,, I love that " That mess", so whats teh deal,, just kinda makes it like an old dirt bike ? kick en go ?

actually many models of Triumphs (the TT's type C's and SC's )came from the factory as a No Battery bike (or kick and go) bike with just a kill button on the handle bars, so it isn't anything new. then in 1968 DOT decided to pass a law that all new bikes had to be able to have the lights on when the bike was parked in an emergency and that was the end of "No Battery" bikes.

So in theory, "the theory" is all in the Triumph workshop manual....:rolleyes:

HumblePie68
07-18-2012, 6:20 PM
actually many models of Triumphs (the TT's type C's and SC's )came from the factory as a No Battery bike (or kick and go) bike with just a kill button on the handle bars, so it isn't anything new. then in 1968 DOT decided to pass a law that all new bikes had to be able to have the lights on when the bike was parked in an emergency and that was the end of "No Battery" bikes.

Great info thanks..time to find that book,,can you recommend a good one ?

starwolf
07-18-2012, 9:09 PM
Great info thanks..time to find that book,,can you recommend a good one ?

I would recommend the original factory shop manual and parts books. Haynes & Clymber Manuals are ok, but don't go into nearly as much detail as the factory manuals, and have sketchy pictures and vague descriptions. Not to say that the original service manuals don't also have sketchy pictures, and vague descriptions, they have them too. Honestly I have them all, (Copy of Original's, Haynes, and Clymber) and is probably the best route, as what you don't see in one manual, might be in one of the other manuals. Also, Triumph factory didn't always put updated service notes in, when they changed shit up, so this can make shit REALLY fun sometimes !!!

There are several places online to get free manuals :
http://www.bigdcycle.com/books.html
http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/Repair.htm

seatraveler
07-21-2012, 11:26 PM

So does this mean that all bikes before 68 are no battery bikes?

dazegoneby
07-22-2012, 6:24 AM
no it just means it was a optional thing from factory, you trump dealer at the time could hook you up,,,

seatraveler
07-22-2012, 6:40 AM
cool, thanks.

Torch
07-22-2012, 8:07 AM
So does this mean that all bikes before 68 are no battery bikes?

only certain models ... the type "C" "TT" and "SC" and many Cubs would have factory built as true "No Battery" bikes.
and the "C" and "SC" and Cub models would have also been street legal bikes. These bikes had a different type of electrical system called the E/T system.

but many other British street bikes were simply fitted with a blue Lucas capacitor that was used to in place the battery from the factory or dealership.

Bandersnatch
08-14-2012, 1:55 PM
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27906&d=1342568499
Sorry to poke my head in here but..........

Any reason this could work on my shovel?
I hate batteries.

RetroRob
08-14-2012, 5:39 PM
This should work if u have a gen or mag, call them to be sure
http://www.liquidchopperstore.com/m16404.html

Torch
08-14-2012, 8:11 PM
kick only, yes.

Bandersnatch
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
kick only, yes.
I admit I don't have many years of experience as a "wrench" so please bear with me.......

I understand that a capacitor keeps your lights from flickering when at low RPM........

But these Triumphs that came without battery........they also were without a mag, yes?

So a 40 dollar capacitor..(maybe bigger?)...will make my Cone Shovel a battery less system?

I dig a magneto....but only for the fact that it eliminates the need for a battery.

So in an Rotor/ Stator, Kick only system.......would my kick generate enough electricity to start my bike?

It has an Ultima:rolleyes:electronic ignition.......

So It sounds like worst case I may need to rig up a switch to kill the lights, and maybe give it an few more kicks to start?

Sorry for sounding dumb, but after looking at 800 dollar and up Magneto kits for a cone motor,

This almost sounds too good to be true?

HumblePie68
09-07-2012, 8:42 AM
So would this system be Positive ground ? or can it be either ?

dazegoneby
09-07-2012, 9:03 AM
have mine setup as positive to ground

heretic530
09-07-2012, 9:25 AM
I am still a little leery of mags...
something about an ARD mag on a chopped 650 bonny, Z bars, kickback, and a broken kneecap brings up bad memories.
The redhead who took care of me while my leg was in a cast brings back better memories

HumblePie68
09-07-2012, 9:28 AM
Had the old ARD set up,,only time it was fussy was when it was damp out

Torch
09-08-2012, 9:10 AM
So would this system be Positive ground ? or can it be either ?
it can be ether positive or negative ground,

the only thing that is polarity specific are diodes.
so a negative ground LED tail light and a negative ground zenor diode only works on a negative ground bike.
But there are positive ground LED's and zenor diodes available.

HumblePie68
09-09-2012, 8:21 AM
it can be ether positive or negative ground,

the only thing that is polarity specific are diodes.
so a negative ground LED tail light and a negative ground zenor diode only works on a negative ground bike.
But there are positive ground LED's and zenor diodes available.

Cool Thanks