PDA

View Full Version : Line up...... any thoughts.....

Suninla
07-17-2012, 12:55 AM
I just got a new rear wheel for my triumph chopper. 16"invader with a drum brake. My issue is that when I mount it, with the proper spacing and clearance it sits way over on the left side. Anyone else have this issue and how are you feeling and dealing.

starwolf
07-17-2012, 4:25 AM
I'm running '71 hubs and wheels on a '69 Trident with a (2.5" drop 4" stretch) Bird looped hard tail, my back tire is off centered (to the right) by about 1.5". After being disgusted with it, I put the swingarm back on it, and it was all centered, then decided after much debate, to re install the hard tail, so I did. My issue is the hard tail frame itself. Its made for a Twin, not a Triple, a Triple engine is wider than a twin, which throws shit off. I was told by a professional builder (Torch) that it really doesn't matter if the back and front are not exactly centered,so long as they are both straight, and true,and the final drive chain is lined up nice and straight, it shouldn't "dog track" or matter much at all. Though you will constantly fight your eyes when you look at it from the rear. *also take into account "chain slap" you don't want your chain rubbing through your cross member or oil tank, or for the chain to be too tight, the chain should have about 1/2" free play. I currently have a 120 link chain, but need more like a 122,as I don't have 1/2" free play.

Suninla
07-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the inside info. I will have to really put some thought into what I am going to do. I agree completely that it wont matter if its off center and aligned but how to you move the from wheel to compensate? Ill figure it out some how. Again thanks for the help.

-Nick