PDA

View Full Version : Whatta yuns think of this deal?

stuntdouble
07-07-2012, 7:59 PM
On my way into work this evening I passed a house that had what I thought to be (at first glance) an XS650 sitting in the yard with a for sale sign on it. I turned around and pulled up to get a better look. What is was not an XS but a 1966 BSA. Sign said $1000. But before we get all excited about a vintage British chopper, let me describe what we have here. I'm not up on my BSA's so bare with me.

The frame appears to be factory but with the rear hoop cut off (Bratstyle). It has a generic solo seat. Wheels appear to be factory with drum brakes front and rear. Not sure what the forks are but I think I can safely say, they are not factory due to the fact that they are 10 or so inches longer than what I would expect them to be. Sportster tank and generic handlebars. And now onto the engine.

The engine is in the frame but is only the bottom end. No jugs, no head, no cam/valve/rocker assy. No exhaust or carbs. The pistons are there but look like they have seen better days. Overall Id say that it may be a good project for someone who knows these bikes and where to source parts from. But is $1000 a fair asking price for what is described above? Keep in mind, all I know about BSA's is that theyre British, old and somewhat hard to come by, and highly sought after in the right condition. So whatta you guys think? If I could work out a deal, I might be interested in having a project on the back burner, or at least make a few bucks parting out what is left.

RetroRob
07-07-2012, 8:51 PM
BSA s are nice bikes, I owned one, but I would never buy an incomplete one. Very few sources for parts, sounds like a can of worms and will probably sour you on britbikes. Get a 650 unit triumph, spend a little more now and you'll save a fortune later.

dirtbag
07-08-2012, 4:10 AM
spend a little more now and you'll save a fortune later.
X2

stuntdouble
07-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys. Pic in case anyone care to see it...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/XJHERO/20120708_065630.jpg

starwolf
07-10-2012, 3:07 AM
I have to agree here $1,000 for a seriously incomplete bike is no "deal", offer him $400-500 tops,even then, know that you may likely spend several thousand acquiring needed parts. With that said if it was all there and only needed minor things (wiring, carb work, etc)$1,000 wouldn't be that bad of a "deal" I say "No dice!" on this one.

Choppedtriumphs
07-10-2012, 3:38 AM
Hmmm... interesting a 1000 bucks...., I'd offer less

The frame (if it has a title) 600 bones
wheels 100 bones
what looks to be original Flanders dog bone risers possbly 75 to a 100 bucks
sporty tank,...free
triple tree and fork lowers (minus the extended tubes) another 50 bucks
then there's the bottom end,... it's hard to say by just looking at a picture?? but I'll take a stab at 200 bones

I'd guess and say you would MABE break even if you were to part it out,..mabe even lose a couple of bucks in packing material and going back and forth to the post office shipping stuff out

Now, with all that being said,..jugs,head, rocker boxes pushrods,primary cover, a factory manual, carbs and what not can be got off ebay, for less then a grand,. If you have the time and the bike has a title (if you live in a title state) If you offered less and were able to get it for less..I'd say go for it..

While you're waiting for the parts and dough to put it back together you could tear the bottom end down and start the rebuild,..This is assuming that the crank isn't damaged and the transmission shifts through the gears,..

I've seen guys on this board and a few others start with ALOT less then you have and build a really sweet bike,. It really all depends on you and your abilities...

TRUMPNUT
07-11-2012, 4:36 PM
BSA projects are a dime a dozen . $500 tops At least it is a unit twin motor which makes getting parts much easier .

TheLakewoodKid2
07-11-2012, 5:42 PM
It's on eBay now $504

TheLakewoodKid2
07-11-2012, 5:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-BSA-A65-Thunderbolt-Chopper-/170874868809?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item27c8ef9449#ht_500wt_948