PDA

View Full Version : Rebel 450

19Keylo
01-02-2010, 8:10 PM
Does anyone know anything about rebel 450??? Thinking of getting one but the price is 1300??? Any advice????

crkhobbit
01-03-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm no expert, but I think they were only made for a couple of years and they're getting kinda rare. My understanding is that the 250s have low hp and the 450 is only a little bit more. Many of the parts are not interchangeable between the two, including wiring harness and frame iirc.

Prairie
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
The Rebel 450 is a great bike, although made only in 1986 and 1987. A cruiser rather than a cafe, it gives you a good starting place if you want a small cruiser bike. The seat height is very attractive if you are on the shorter side, but not so much if you are very tall. Mine will go 95 mph without any mods so it isn't slow although you will need to shift out of cruising gear climbing hills as the overdrive isn't the power gear. There are a decent amount of parts out there so have never had any problems with anything, especially as it is Honda and many of the parts are interchangeable with other bikes, although not the Rebel 250. The Rebel 450 morphed into the Shadow line with a slightly bigger engine after restrictions came of in 1988. Putting the bikes next to each other, you can see the clear lineage.

There are several active communities, the largest here:

http://www.surfmaine.com/rebel/

There is a guy who specializes in the bikes and does parts - Jack's Rebel Warehouse.

www.rebelcatalog.com

$1300 is cheap for the bike, which typically go for around $2000 in decent condition. If you are short, it is a great bike and a good platform if you are not going crazy radical. If you are expecting to buy a lot of pre-made parts though, it won't be for you as they don't exist. Check out the garage at the surfmaine site to see what folks have done with them.

Twinkies
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
The 450s arent hot rods..its slow off the line and you have to shift a lot, but its quite a bit more powerful than the 250 and itll cruise much better on the freeway. My bike will also get up over 90.. but.. I wouldnt want to go any faster than that anyway.
Good for short people, for sure.. Im 6' and lanky but I still fit on mine ok with a springer seat and 4" forward controls. Its been a reliable bike for me over the last couple years, gets great gas mileage.. and.. it doesnt leak which is nice...
Theres some pics of it in my profile..

turtle
01-30-2010, 2:25 PM
they are cool and really rare sounds like a killer deal.