PDA

View Full Version : 1972 BSA Thunderbolt?

currysurr
06-25-2012, 6:46 PM
let me start this by saying I know next to nothing about British bikes. My boss sent me this shitty cell phone pic, he knows I'm looking for a possible project. Its a '72 Thunderbolt. Looks like its mostly there, the sign said the seat and tank come with the bike, but they aren't on it right now. The guy is asking $1,100. Opinions? You know as much as I do about this right now. It could be a fun project to take on, but like i said, i know nothing about these bikes. What should i look for?

Torch
06-25-2012, 7:15 PM
BSA's........ at the risk of offending all the BSA owners here I'll say BSA's are different than Triumph's and Norton's, The parts are more expensive and harder to find and not being reproduced like others, and the factory made many changes inside the engine and didn't bother to document any of those changes in the serial number information.
$1100 isn't giving it away, $500 makes it a different deal,
As for what you should look for ? In my opinion maybe a bike that says Triumph on it,
Triumphs are plentiful and parts are everywhere.

warpig
06-27-2012, 11:54 PM
torch is right i built a 65 beezer chop that I got for around the same price with a rebuilt motor, if i could do it again i would get a triumph, but i still love my bsa.
if you like hunting for parts and making parts yourself then you should low ball that guy
cheers!

DxMoney1
06-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Cool bikes but expensive. I own a 69 thunderbolt still waiting to order witworth tools to work on it. Mo money Mo money Mo money.

TheLakewoodKid2
06-28-2012, 8:42 AM
maybe its a midwest thing but triumph parts and bikes bring the big money out here compared to BSA's. People dont really dig BSA's out here

sixthirtytwo
07-01-2012, 5:12 PM
Kerry, I talked to this guy weeks ago. $850 is what he was searching for. After I went out to look at it, I don't think $850 is a fair asking price. I offered $650 but he wouldn't budge. The motor is in rough shape on the outside. I can't imagine what it's like on the inside. He did say the chrome was perfect under the black paint on the frontend. I know how you love those springers.

bearpaws1973
07-02-2012, 2:28 PM
Love my BSA I would roll with it not for 1100 I bought mine for 100 bux, I would pay 500 for the one pic'd. Thelakewoodkid helped with alot of my parts, morrie's here in the midwest have a ton of parts. Around here (kenosha wi) Nortons are the dollar bikes, the BSA's have a small but loyal following. The guys I mentioned before are fair priced. I think with everything, I put together my BSA for a little over 800 or so

signal9
07-30-2012, 7:43 AM
maybe its a midwest thing but triumph parts and bikes bring the big money out here compared to BSA's. People dont really dig BSA's out here

Seems the same around here. If you find one, a BSA motor is cheaper by far than a Triumph. Parts can be a hassle, but not as bad as I'd expected. I'll be damned if I can find a tach drive gear, however.