PDA

View Full Version : Triumph fork damping sleeve question

abfackeln
06-17-2012, 7:30 PM
Rebuilding a set of '68 forks, purchased a new set of damping sleeves and bushings from Lowbrow. My question is, how "snug" should the damping sleeves be inside the fork lowers? At the moment, they're too large to even go in (by about 1mm). I assume they're meant to slide around inside the fork leg, as well as up/down on the stanchion (no problem with the fit on the stanchion). The old damping sleeves were in pieces in the fork, so I can't use them for comparison.

SSWolf18
06-17-2012, 8:58 PM
They should fit tight in the legs(lowers),but not so tight as to capture the tube when in the leg.

They are meant to slide on the tube,to cover and uncover the dampening holes on the tubes. when assembled,they should stay up tight to the top bush,or they wont uncover the holes as the springs compress.

abfackeln
06-18-2012, 6:56 PM
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Time to get sanding... Wonder why these sleeves are too big for my legs, but the bushings fit perfect?

SSWolf18
06-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah thats Odd.
I replaced Everything on mine,cones were pited and shuttle valves were shot from trying to get them off, just getting everything apart was a Huge pain!
I ordered most of the bits and pieces from steadfast cycles. Bushings and oil seals came from Lowbrow.
I had some sleeves made 2" longer out of aluminum,to lower the front down a bit. So i still have the plastic jobs.