PDA

View Full Version : Triumph electrical systems pros / cons

slickpaint999
06-13-2012, 6:07 PM
Hey Y'all--- I don't believe I've ever posted anything anywhere like this, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Triumph ignition/electrical systems? I'm a first time owner of a 67 / 71 (71 engine) hardtailed bobber. I'm interested in reliability above all. The bike now is battery less with just a head / tail / brake light. Ive ridden it a bit, but am now having problems with it running. It has a new 16 amp Wassel rotor / stator, and a Sparx battery eliminator, points and a single dual lead coil. I would consider any system, including a battery and electronics / or a magneto. I just want to ride it!!!!! Any Pros and Cons from voices of experience?
---------Thanks!---------------------------------------------------------------

Finkit
06-13-2012, 7:49 PM
Headlight, Taillight, Stoplight, Regulator/Rectifier, Magneto Been very very good to me..................................not many parts to screw up.

RetroRob
06-13-2012, 7:54 PM
Pazon electronic ignition is the hot set up. You can keep all your other components they are all compatable, dump the old finicky points, you'll be glad you did.

Torch
06-13-2012, 8:53 PM
dump the points set up and put a Pazon in there, it will be the end of all your ignition problems.

TRUMPNUT
06-13-2012, 9:47 PM
I wou;ld add a battery . Cops love giving tickets for AC lights . But if it's titled as a 67 then no worriers .
+1 on the pazon

slickpaint999
06-14-2012, 7:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. Now, does the Pazon require a battery?

RetroRob
06-14-2012, 8:35 AM
No, Im still setting my up, should be running next week. Pazon ignition, sparx bat elimator, harley dual coil, on off toggle switch, fuse holder, stock stator, head and tail light, horn. All my electrics hidden under the tank..

The pazon eliminates your mechanical points, both plugs fire at the same time via the elictronic trigger, once set up, nothing moves or needs adjustment.

Make sure you have it wired it so you can turn your lights off before you kick.

Torch
06-14-2012, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now, does the Pazon require a battery?

no, the Pazon works great without a battery, it is the ignition we use in our "No Battery wiring kits".

slickpaint999
06-15-2012, 7:45 AM
Again, thanks for all the help. One last (?) question, does the Pazon use a condenser? I'm thinking that is what's wrong right now, and I may buy one locally to get it running, then get the electronics after. Or does the Pazon use a special one? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I'm a painter, not a mechanic!
P.S. I'm still half considering a mag, but, it sounds like they are complicated to set up?

Torch
06-15-2012, 8:25 AM
no, a Pazon or any electronic ignition does not use a condenser.
There are wiring instructions in the box that tell you to remove them.

slickpaint999
06-21-2012, 8:46 PM
OK y'all, I installed a Pazon E I. fired her up, moved the timing around a bit til she seemed happy, idled great and responded to throttle blipps well, jumped on for a road test and all seemed good, but had a couple quick "chops" under power (not stumbles, but like a momentary total ignition loss) and within a block, it was dead. relentless kicks yielded nothing but a couple big backfires. I guess my question is......is there a way to check the sparx battery eliminator and also the single dual lead coil? Really frustrated, cuz I've ridden a fair amount before, and now all these problems.

davesidfab
06-21-2012, 8:57 PM
man i just went through all the same problems,i got sick and tired of all the same crap,i got a joe hunt mag put it on in about 30min and now runs awesome ,crisp ,1st kick evey time

Torch
06-21-2012, 11:27 PM
check to see if your timing slipped, sometimes the Allen bolt in the center of the ignition is too long and it allows the magnet disk to slit out of time, buy one of those $5 spark plug indicators and see if you are getting spark.
if the timing checks out then start checking all the connections of your wiring,
I wire up a couple bikes a month and they run fine with no battery electronic ignitions.
with a no battery system it only takes one small mistake to kill the whole charging system, it would be a shame to spend $700 on a Hunt mag just because you had a bad wire connection.

starwolf
06-22-2012, 5:39 AM
I'd have to agree, double -triple check all your connections, & routing, make certain you have everything wired up correctly, and that there are no rub points, pinch points, or shorts. It is likely something simple that you have just overlooked. Im running a (different brand) EI (with a battery) on positive ground, and I had a few electrical issues at first too. When I'd turn my headlight on it'd kill the bike, was just a dead short, corrected it, and all is well now.
Double check your rotor bug, if its loose or not installed correctly, it may not want to work correctly, and use a timing light to dial it in. I see no need on blowing money on a Hunt Mag, lest you just like blowing money.

slickpaint999
06-22-2012, 6:33 AM
I was thinking the same after a nights sleep. I've rewired the entire bike, but I'm going to check EVERYTHING back over. Still wondering about the coil, though? Any backyard method for checking on that? I did find Torch"s method for checking the Sparx eliminator elsewhere here on the Cult, so I'll do that too. Again, thanks for all the advice!

P.S. Once running (hopefully yet this summer) the bike will get a teardown for paint. Maybe by then I'll have the cash for a mag and I can open up a whole new can o' worms!

Torch
06-22-2012, 9:24 AM
A little bike building tip...
when we build a brand new "No Battery" bike we always connect up a battery to it and get it all tuned in, when it's all sorted out tuning electrical wise, then we disconnect the battery.
A no battery bike needs to be tuned and running well, then after that it's easy to fire up.

TRUMPNUT
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
+ one on that timing slipping . I have seen the pick up plate spin too . Also hook up a battery and tune it . Like Torch says

DevilGarageCo
06-22-2012, 11:40 AM
GET A MAG!!!, a little spendy but well worth it

Torch
06-22-2012, 9:12 PM
still gotta have lights, if you can get the lights to work, you can get a electronic ignition to work.

slickpaint999
06-27-2012, 9:44 PM
OK, kids. here's my follow up. I checked my wiring and found an ignition switch wire I hastily installed rubbing my chain. (what a dumb ass). fixed that. BUT while test riding, the bike was stalling when I hit the brake. I had just sanitized the under fender wiring etc.. so, I started with the lucas taillight. Long story short, the bike was fine after switching to an LED bulb! Has anyone heard of an LED being the difference in running or not??? I just rode it for :45 minutes. all seems good, and she does seem to like (love) the Pazon.

RetroRob
06-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Sounds like you got it sorted out, :killerjob:

Torch
06-27-2012, 10:53 PM
the fact that the LED bulb made a big difference indicates the alternator is having trouble keeping up with the electrical demand usually at idle.
the possible causes are...
What headlight are you running?
are you running the high beam or low beam at idle?
and typically "no battery Triumphs" need to idle at a bit higher RPM, like 1200 RPM, not 900 like a Harley does.

But I always recommend running LEDS in no battery bikes.

slickpaint999
06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
As always, thanks for all the help, guys. And I really dont know what the headlight is. I have no hi/lo switch, so, maybe it is on the hi beam. I will check it out. Thanks again!