PDA

View Full Version : 67 bsa igntion swtch wiring help

bobber
06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
whats up every one i have a 1967 bsa bobber with a simple wiring set up i am having some problems with getting the power to the coils some one please help me out .. i have a 3 way switch and its just not working out as far as what wires go where on the switch ..

TRUMPNUT
06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Is it a universail switch ? If so most of the time you have a battery to one then to the left side you will have ign and to the right it would be lights .

If you are running a stock switch there is 3 spades on the back if you look at them you will see two of the spades are conected so the hot wire goes to the other spade .
If you have controled power to your coil then I'm guessing you switch is no a issue . What ign. are you running ? If it is points then the other wires go straight from the coils to the points and have nothing to do with the ign. switch .

RetroRob
06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
wiring diagrams here :
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20030&page=2

bobber
06-08-2012, 1:08 PM
thanks guys .. im not sure what is going on with it its not a stock switch on the back there is a l, ig, b i have points also i have power to the lights and brake switch im not getting power to the plugs for the fire to start im lost on what to do the bike has been setting for around a year and it was running the other day and i had power to everything no matter where the key was turned to so i wanted to find out what it was to rewire it so it dont run the battery down ..

TRUMPNUT
06-08-2012, 1:11 PM
If you have power to the coils then look at the points if it is not sparking . Make sure then open and close on time . I don't really think you have a ign. switch prolem if your lights work and you get power to the coils . See if your points wire is grounded .

bobber
06-08-2012, 1:19 PM
thanks would that stop the power to the plugs? the only thing i have done is remove the wires on the back of the switch and now i have nothing to the points but my coils get warm if the key is on i have the headlight anf tail light wire together the brake light and points boxs together along with the battery then the coil on its own .. dose that sound about right to you ?

Torch
06-08-2012, 2:08 PM
thanks would that stop the power to the plugs? the only thing i have done is remove the wires on the back of the switch and now i have nothing to the points but my coils get warm if the key is on i have the headlight anf tail light wire together the brake light and points boxs together along with the battery then the coil on its own .. dose that sound about right to you ?

The points never really have power going to them, it is just power passing through the coil that shows up on the points only when the points are in the open position, you should have power going to one side of the coil and the when the points close it sends a ground signal to the coil causing a spark to come out of the secondary side of the coil.
If your coil is getting hot then you have both power and a ground from the points on that coil.

Get yourself a $5 test light and trace everything out with that. put a piece of paper between the points so they can't ground out and you will likely find everything has got power. if your points are dirty then that may be why you are not getting spark, it could be a bad plug wire or even a bad spark plug.
and when you finally get tired of all the problems with a points ignition, scrap all that crap and put a Pazon electronic ignition in there and never have any more problems again.

bobber
06-08-2012, 2:09 PM
i just pulled the switch off the bike and checked all 3 post i hooked the battery up to each post and put the head light on one post at a time with the key in the on and i only have poower to one post no matter where i hook the battery to or the light im guessing the switch is bad since i only have powerr on one post ..