PDA

View Full Version : My XS650 "THE BRASS MONKEY"

viz
12-25-2009, 4:13 PM
Whats up everyone. New on the forum and I posted up in the intro section. Someone asked to see my bike so I figured I would post it up here for you XS junkies to see. I had a blast building it. Its my first bike build from the ground up so Im pretty proud of it. It has been a blast to ride and Ive clocked about 750 miles on her so far. I finished it around Sept. I hardtailed the frame using a G&L hardtail(4inch stretch). I made the rear fender from a ford spare cover. I reradiused it to fit the 18 inch rear wheel. The tank is a wassell. I made a new tunnell and raised it up about 2 inches. I also welded in the site guage from FLYRITE. I made the mid mounts and used some FLYRITE pegs for them. The headlight is from a old scoot and I converted that to 12volt and shaved the side mounts and made it a bottom mount. I made the seat from a ACCUFAST seat blank. The bars are clubmans and the grips are wrapped. I used stock forks(which I will be lowering this winter)The wheels are also stock. The paint.... I did the frame in House of Kolor. It is made to look like a patina'd brass. The tins were done in ALSA chrome paint and also distressed to resemble a bare look(it looks more like aluminum) Anyway I call her the "Brass Monkey" Im in the process of starting my next build now, a brat XS. I do paint and autobody for a living so time for my own stuff is at a premium but I hope to get to it before spring. OH and the lincoln is a customers ride Im restoring although I wish I was pimpin it out for myself!
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/visimpact2/montenlincoln048.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/visimpact2/wwwvisualimpact2com012.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/visimpact2/wwwvisualimpact2com023.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/visimpact2/BRASSMONKEY006.jpg

TheYetti
12-25-2009, 5:10 PM
sweet ride, I dig the speedo in the headlight bucket

12-25-2009, 5:52 PM
Love it! looks like you some skills son!! I just my rims powdercoated black for my old cb, I've had the rear wheel laced already, but dont have it on the bike yet, waitin on the new spoke set for the front, looks pretty sick on your bike, job well done.

me
12-25-2009, 6:19 PM
shes a looker...and looks like a blast to ride

jpswino
12-25-2009, 8:37 PM
Yep I'm digging it.

Nice job sir.

viz
12-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys, hell yeah its a blast to ride. Really fun and cruises nice. I get the usual questions about the seat and if its comfortable since its bare steel. Suprisingly its not bad, plus I dont think a 1/4 inch of foam and leather is gonna make that much difference. I will start up a build thread on my brat XS when I get going on it. I have the bike stripped down right now but I havent done a damn thing since that.

philbey
12-26-2009, 9:12 PM
tough looking ride. Frame colour looks tops.

JayTucc
12-29-2009, 3:00 PM
Beautiful bike! That has to be a blast to rip on.

Earthbender
12-29-2009, 3:19 PM
What did you use to wrap the grips and what is plugging the bar ends.
That ride is sweet.

viz
12-29-2009, 4:15 PM
I used cork wrap and plug ends were just wrapped electrical tape temporarily. I had plugs for the bars but they cracked when I put them in. I redid the grips again. This time I used black grips and wrapped the center part with cork and it turned out WAY nicer and cleaner.

steffan
12-29-2009, 10:27 PM
I said it before and ill say it again.....sweet scoot! I wrapped my stock rubber grips with briggs and stratton starter cord. its black paracord with a red strand threw it. I doubled back every loop so it makes a nice palm swell for cruise control. can't wait to see your next project!

viz
12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks man, you have any pics of what you did on your grips?

Homebrew
12-30-2009, 6:14 AM
Nice scoot but I really like the Lincoln in the first pic. My uncle always had one just like it with the suicide doors. I was so jealous when he gave his daughter, my cousin, (same age as me) one when she got her license. Damn I wanted that car.

viz
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I hear ya man. I love these cars too. Ive always wanted one but still cant afford one. That one in the pic is a customers car Im doing a full resto on. The car is really nice. One day I will be able to get one for my self. Till then I guess I will be staring at this one....jealous that its not mine.

steffan
12-31-2009, 12:27 AM
ill try to post a pic tomorrow. my phone won't let me do it.

steffan
12-31-2009, 3:43 PM
sorry about the quality of the pic. still only have my camera phone. i left the last part unfinished so you can see how it got wraped. there is a knot on each side of the grip. one side can get used as a palm swel and the other you can grab with your fingure tips. the tighter you make it the better it looks. you have to make sure the knots ar all inline.

steffan
12-31-2009, 3:46 PM
oh yea.....it takes about 15 ft of cord per grip. plus or minus depending on the thickness and how tight you make it. i use #4 briggs and stratton starter cord since i have a ton of it in the shop.
and tie off the end and melt the knot.

Gene
06-28-2010, 4:49 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Viz and going on run with him and the Brass Monkey this weekend. All I can say is that the pictures don't do the talent justice. The paint looks exactly like brushed aluminum and brass frame and details make it pop.

thanks for the help Viz!

metricmofo
07-04-2010, 8:26 AM
hey mike. good to see you getting this bike out there. the little build article on bikerMetric is still a popular destination for my readers.

how are your brat-style chop kits selling?

viz
07-04-2010, 8:32 AM
Thanks for the good words Gene and Trent. The kits are selling good Trent. I was actually suprised since its riding season but they got off to a good start. Ive noticed a slow down now but I think as the weather gets colder guys will be ordering again as they think about their winter projects.
I go on your site all the time Trent. Glad to see you moved out on your own. Ill have some content for you after Sturgis if you want it. Ill email you when I get some shit together some time in August.