PDA

View Full Version : SPARX 3 phase alternator problem

MadMike
05-30-2012, 5:20 PM
Looking if anyone else has had this problem.
and what they figured out,
had the 3 phase sparx installed for less than a year, rotor, stator, reg/rec.

it started with having a problem of a battery drain recently, i traced it down to the reg/rec box being shorted to ground. i replaced the reg/rec with a 3 phase one i had pulled off a junk kawa or suzuki. it works fine now.
i opened the primary up to do some clutch adjusting and i found this....
it looks like the stator is splitting where the pickups are imbedded. it doesnt look normal and it wasn't like that new. any suggestions? is there any kind of warranty on this stuff?

Torch
05-30-2012, 6:20 PM
it looks like it got a little wam, probably from the bad regulator, I would do a comparison OHMs test of all 3 phases and see if it's still any good.

MadMike
06-01-2012, 5:00 PM
tested it, stator tested out good, but it is badly charred, and cracked. i've had it on less than a year, i'm bringing it all back to my supplier. the box failing back fed the stator and burned it up, i believe. unfortunately, my local shop says his supplier does not offer a warranty or anything for it past 30 days. Bullshit. so i'm giving it all back to him to test out for what reason i have no clue. maybe they'll do something for me. not real thrilled with this

Torch
06-01-2012, 9:15 PM
I have seen the 3 phase regulators get hot and burn up because the can't get rid of the unused power the 3 phase stators generate.
What is it you are trying to power on there that requires 200 watts ? and why don't you just put the normal 120 watt stator on it?

Triumph803
06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
madmike,How much clearance did you have rotor to stator? To little will also cause excessive heat and charring. Jack

Torch
06-01-2012, 10:52 PM
and where is it you mounted the regulator, it gets kinda hot trying to get rid of extra power and needs to be air cooled.

MadMike
06-03-2012, 8:53 PM
i had .010 clearance or more all around, rotated the engine to ensure even measurement.
i had the box mounted on rear the fender under the airbox towards the bottom, lots of air movement there with the intake always pulling across it i figured.

i got it since it wasnt much more pricewise than than the 2 wire kit, and at the time i was running all stock bulb setup, with EI, but now i have changed over to the led taillight, and H4 bulb headlight, ans LED wedge bulbs in the gauges, so i think the 2 wire will be more than enough now.

i had an old 2 wire i pulled off another bike for now and threw a single phase mighty max on it to keep on the road for now. its working great actually

thanks

Torch
06-03-2012, 9:43 PM
glad you got it sorted out Mike, ride safe.