PDA

View Full Version : how do i get this rear wheel bearing out?

MadMike
05-23-2012, 2:15 PM
i don't know what year this setup is originally from, but how do i get this bearing out?
i figured getting a bigger hammer was the wrong approach..:rolleyes:
thanks

fightclub
05-23-2012, 2:56 PM
Not sure if this is teh best way , but i just went through this myself, unscrew the speed drive out, its a reverse thread, take out any grease retaining rings that maybe behind it, . Heat up the hub with some map gas, I didnt have a press to press out bearing so I used a piece of pvc pipe the same OD as the bearing and gave it a good whack with a heavy hammer , popped it right out . You could also use any type of brass ,aluminum drift same OD of bearing instead of PVC.

MadMike
05-23-2012, 2:58 PM
nevermind... got it, you just unscrew it, but be warned it is reverse threaded. now i have to get another one since i kinda squashed this one.
oh well hope i help somebody from making this mistake

MadMike
05-23-2012, 3:00 PM
Not sure if this is teh best way , but i just went through this myself, unscrew the speed drive out, its a reverse thread, take out any grease retaining rings that maybe behind it, . Heat up the hub with some map gas, I didnt have a press to press out bearing so I used a piece of pvc pipe the same OD as the bearing and gave it a good whack with a heavy hammer , popped it right out . You could also use any type of brass ,aluminum drift same OD of bearing instead of PVC.

thanks! the bearing fell right out once i unscrewed it

fightclub
05-23-2012, 8:45 PM
If your not going to run a rear speedo look into getting the troyfab speedo block spacer. It really cleans up that side of the rear wheel, nice little detail piece Chances are you buggered up the threads inside the hub if you screwed the stock speedo spacer the wrong way . Check the classifieds he sells them in there.

MadMike
05-25-2012, 8:07 PM
great, thank you, i know i had seen one before but could not remember where.