PDA

View Full Version : charging problem?

davesidfab
05-21-2012, 2:44 PM
i got a 71 triumph 650, just had it completely rebuilt by a triumph dealer here in pa,it has a new single duel lead coil,new podtronics reg/rec, The problem is when i put my muiltimeter on the battery at idle to check the voltage reading the meter is fluctuating so fast it's hard to get a reading seems to be between 12- 18 v i can ride the bike it runs good and seems to be charging ? anyone know whats wrong any help would be appreciated thanks!

Pendulum
05-21-2012, 3:10 PM
What kind of meter are you using? Digital or analog?

Torch
05-21-2012, 3:37 PM
most digital meters get confused by the changing voltage readings, you may need to use an anolog volt meter like the ones at Radio-Shack or a good quality digital meter like a Fluke multi meter.
or, just turn the headlight on and point it twards the wall and rev it up and see if it gets brighter.

davesidfab
05-21-2012, 4:40 PM
i was using a craftsmen, and my dad told me i'd need an anolog meter,mybe i should listen to him!
thanks torch,and i've really been confused becouse i did point my headlight to the wall and i does get really bright,i new it was charging,but couldn't understand the meter bouncing around, thanks alot ,i'm learning !