PDA

View Full Version : Trident Wiring Diagram

starwolf
05-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I am in need of a wiring diagram for my '69 Triumph Trident. Here's what I've got and where I'm at:
3 Cylinder, Original Stator, Trispark EI, Typanium , Positive Ground Battery.
I can start it and it runs until I turn on the light switch, though I am uncertain if it is charging the battery with or without the lights on. (lighting : 55W headlamp , dual bulb -single element tail/tag/brake lamp) at first attempt, it seems fine, but seems to drain the charge quickly and it dies. repeated attempts just results in it dying instantly. Now I know some may say "just replace the stator, it likely isn't producing enough juice to meet your current lighting demands" But I'm trying to find out if that is in fact what it is, or if I have mis-wired my lighting , or more. So I dont really need wiring info on the Ignition, I have all that from Trispark, I need the rest of the diagram to show how to hook up typanium, ignition switch, lighting, battery, for positive ground, 3 cyl. Torch , Trumpnut, ...anyone...plz help, many thanx in advance !

Torch
05-13-2012, 1:27 PM
you've got something else going on there, if you have a fully charged battery you can run the bike with or without lights for a quite a while until the battery goes down to the point it will die without the stator even bolted in the bike.
The charging system is only there to recharge the battery, you can do that with a regular wall plug in battery charger.
Most flat track bikes never even had a charging system in them and ran 20 1 mile laps at full speed on a battery only.
you have a real bad short somewhere in the lighting system that is killing the whole power to the ignition, disconnect your lighting wires, start the bike up and start re-connecting wires one at a time until you get to a wire that kills the engine, then you will have found the shorted wire.

be real careful about connecting up a shorted wire or a reversed polarity wire to that Tri-spark ignition circuit, it could be a $300 mistake, use the battery power only to sort all this out, disconnect the charging wires from the stator until you get it figured out, sending un-regulated power from a shorted wire into the wiring system can blow that ignition up.

starwolf
05-13-2012, 2:00 PM
I can turn the ign switch on, flip the lights on, and they come on nice and bright. Start the bike (with lights off) turn them on and it dies, aye, I'd say a short, I've likely wired my lights backwards or something simple, was hoping to find a simple diagram to check my wiring against, the cut and pasted + ground one I found in another thread here is horrid, not sure which diagram I used to get it running when I had the hardtail on it. I reckon it'll be another day in the garage sorting through it all.
I disconnected both the headlamp and tail/brake lamps, does not matter which I try to reattach to the switch , when the switch is flipped it dies, it may be something as simple as having shit plugged in the wrong place on the ign switch, thanks for letting me pick yer brain Torch.

TRUMPNUT
05-13-2012, 2:07 PM
Use a volt meter and see what voltage you have to the Ign. once the lights are turned on. Most elect. ign. need no less then 11VDC so make sure you have that if it drops less . Start testing voltage drop .

starwolf
05-13-2012, 2:48 PM
Ahh I think I've got it now, ...I had my headlamp grounded to the triple tree, I think I need to run that back to the lamp switch, thanks guys.
update: Not sure what the hell I did , , but shits werking correctly now.

dazegoneby
05-14-2012, 6:26 AM
just in case you still need em,,might help,,, yeah for a twin not a triple,,

starwolf
05-14-2012, 1:42 PM
yeah yeah, thanks daze, I did end up using the + ground one, a bit nasty to read, but I finally got it I do believe. Shes starting up, and not dying when I hit the lights now, and the battery wasnt dead this morning. I don't really want to admit it, but I may have had my battery wired backwards (- ground), but all is well, went for a short rip around the neighborhood on her a bit earlier, everything seems good.

dazegoneby
05-14-2012, 1:45 PM
good deal ,,,glad you got it sorted out