PDA

View Full Version : Convert to NarrowGlide

Stubs
08-06-2009, 2:59 PM
What is the best way to convert to a narrow glide front end? I have a 41mm wide glide with a 19in wheel and 4 piston caliper. Will i be able to keep the brake? All of the parts are 90's style if that matters. Is there any companys that make narrow glide trees for 41mm forks? If not i will need a wheel, forks and trees right?

BigDawg
08-06-2009, 3:09 PM
There are folks that make narrow glide trees for 41mm legs:
http://www.choppercustoms.com/tripletree.html

You can also bore out a 39mm set of trees to accept the 41mm tubes. The legs themselves are different at the top, but there are ways around that.

Your wheel will not work...you have to have a narrow glide hub, so if it's a stock cast wheel, you're out. If it's a spoke, you can relace it to a new hub, if it's an aftermarket billet wheel, you can probably get a new hub from the manufacturer.

Also, any caliper will fit on anything with a little imagination, but it's not going to be a bolt-on affair. The bolt pattern will be different and offset to get it centered on the rotor will be different. You can either make an adapter or find a take-off on Ebay.

BigDawg
08-06-2009, 3:11 PM
From the pic in your profile, it looks like you're running an FXWG front end with a spoke wheel, unless this is for a different bike.

Stubs
08-06-2009, 3:24 PM
Thanks.

Ya, thats is the bike. Looking at putting some dirtbike bars on it. I mocked it up and it just looks funny with the wide glide.

BigDawg
08-06-2009, 4:29 PM
I tend to think MX bars look better on a Wide Glide. That front end suits the width of the bars better...unless you're putting them on taller risers. MX bars on short risers just look too wide for narrow glides to me. You never know though...

That's just my opinion, which doesn't mean shit.

Look on eBay for a narrow glide hub. I also think, depending on the year hub you use and what year your wheel is now, that you're going to need a new rotor. The pre-99 rotors had a smaller inside diameter than the 00-up (which has the better sealed bearings). Those early Shovel Wide Glide lowers usually use a 10" disc (with a different bolt pattern) too and the later narrow glides use an 11.5", so that's something to consider as far as your rotor and caliper placement. If you're using a stock narrow glide caliper on a 39mm front end, then you'll need a narrow glide hub and rotor.

I hope that makes sense. It all works with the pictures in my head, but it's hard to describe when typing.

5ivepointluke
08-06-2009, 4:30 PM
http://mullinschaindrive.com/

http://jrscycleproducts.blogspot.com/

both these dudes are doin narrow trees and they look alot better than the first link for the same price. but these are super narrow. even slimmer than a stock narrow glide. probably have to run a spool hub. may be able to rig a brake set up?? not much room with these skinnies. craigslist and ebay are a good start to try and score a front end for a reasonable price.

BigDawg
08-06-2009, 4:33 PM
Yeah, I forgot Mullins was doing the Super Narrow with the 41mm now. I HIGHLY doubt you'd be able to squeeze any kinda brake in there though.

FlyingEyeBall
08-06-2009, 6:50 PM
What is the best way to convert to a narrow glide front end? I have a 41mm wide glide with a 19in wheel and 4 piston caliper. Will i be able to keep the brake? All of the parts are 90's style if that matters. Is there any companys that make narrow glide trees for 41mm forks? If not i will need a wheel, forks and trees right?

Have you thought about just selling your WG and wheel and picking up a narrowglide and wheel from a swapmeet?

You would get what you are looking for and still have some $$ in your pocket when you were done.

The Mullins tree's are really nice. I think there's a guy on the jockey who has run the 41mm tubes with their trees and still managed to get a disc set-up on it.

Maybe somebody knows where the pic is?

Good Luck

independentrider1
08-06-2009, 9:13 PM
my 95 fxd superglide came with a narrow glide front end and a 19" front wheel. the diameter of the wheel will be fine but you may need a new hub if its a wide glide hub. If your lucky it will be a narrow glide hub with the conversion spacers on it to fit the wide glide. In that case just drop the stock spacers back in and you will be good to go. as far as the brake it should "should" bolt right up if the wg lower legs are early 90's too. might need some shims to center the caliper on the disc.

Stubs
08-06-2009, 9:26 PM
It is defiantly a wide glide hub. This seems like it will be a pain in the ass. Maybe i will just put the bars on and see if i can get used to it.

Thanks for all of the help.