PDA

View Full Version : lower fork removal

hitch44
05-07-2012, 2:30 PM
i want to shave my lower forks but this will be the first time i have ever removed any forks. any tips or suggestions about what i'm getting into.

captrad
05-07-2012, 4:30 PM
nut on top of tree is spring loaded and will fly across room keep preasure on it. then brakes and fender if you still got them. pinch bolts on trees. drain fluid. nut at the bottom of forks \to seperate lower and uppers, drain again after bolts out. then snap ring thing on seals now seals and spacers. you will need a fork seal driver to put them back togather. you can search online depending on what legs you have can be made out of a small peice of pvc. if you search youtube for changing fork seals im sure youll find a vid that shows how to take legs apart.

pushachopperthanrideastocker
05-07-2012, 4:44 PM
Piece o cake Hitch. Shavin' my forks was an improvement. Now the dang frame(stocker w/hardtail) needs to be shaved.:D

punkrod
05-07-2012, 4:49 PM
If it's a Harley fork, the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg that attaches it to the damper is a 6mm hex socket. You'll need a long hex key "socket" like this.
http://www.altrider.com/images/thumbnail/product_large/additional-photos-proxxon-18-piece-allen-key-socket-set-3.jpg
Best to zip it off and back on with an impact driver.
Remove the circlip on the top of the leg before pulling the leg off.
If you hold the forks up side down through the job, there's no need to remove the top cap and pull out the springs.

planningoncrashing
05-07-2012, 7:32 PM
The first few times you do forks, you may not even want to bother using a bucket to catch the oil. It just means you'll have to clean the bucket AND the entire floor. (Seriously... the stuff tends to go everywhere but where you want it to.)

Jack under bike. Remove front wheel. Fork leg tight in clamps. Bucket underneath.

Impact gun with proper hex bit on lower fork bolt. Remove fork bolt. Drain as best you can.

Crack fork cap, then remove fork cap.

Separate lower from upper.

Remove upper from clamps.

Repeat.

Swear at all the oil that is not in the bucket.

Good luck.

hitch44
05-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Screw it! im gonna take the wheel off, break out the cutting wheel and grinder and rattle can them bitches black..

2stroketim
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Hell yes Hitch! That's how its done

ajInMs
05-08-2012, 3:43 PM
Screw it! im gonna take the wheel off, break out the cutting wheel and grinder and rattle can them bitches black..

Sounds "Gangsta"...I like it....Show pics please...:D :cheersmate: