PDA

View Full Version : Bsa help

Wink
05-06-2012, 7:24 PM
I have a BSA A65 (not original, but looks so). I bought it to chop it, I would like to get it running before chopping. It has a Boyer ignition installed in ??????, a single coil (old harley type), and Amal carb. I had some trouble with the carb, I replaced it with a cv type. And I replaced the single coil for dual 6 volts. I am having a hard time getting it running. Compresion is great, spark is good.

Any thoughts? I cannot find much on BSA, not to mention, modified ones.

Torch
05-06-2012, 8:54 PM
my advice is to loose the C/V carb, It's not a Jap bike, With the valve timing overlap and a 360 crank the British twins have an intake signal that erases any manifold vacuum, and that vacuum is what opens up the slide on a C/V carb.
Buy a service and maintenance manual and do your home work, adjust the valves, set the timing, clean out the carb pilot circuit, check the wiring, when you get all these things done it will run.

The two most common reasons British bikes won't start.. you have a plugged pilot circuit in the carb and the timing is off.

Wink
05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks torch, Im a little over my head with this brit stuff. I will look for the service manual, I have a haynes, but it does not address the EI, or any of the other modifications that took place.

It is a lot less work when I have a starter button to push. Im kicking, cussing, sweating, and getting no-where

cHiCoD
05-07-2012, 1:44 PM
good talking with you.
if you need some more help,dont hesitate to call man.
i dont know alot,but Rob does.

BillySlicks
05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
not sure what you mean about a push button start. EI doesn't denote push button. And as far as I know there is no starter motor conversion for the A65s

Go with Torch's advice, dump the C/V carb, get yourself a nicely rebuilt amal concentric, check your static timing and make sure you are getting a strong 12v from the battery. The boyer needs a solid 12v to kick, spark and run, and a good charging system to keep it running

In the front of the motor there is a small plate that you can remove and get access to the static marking hole on the crank. Re-check your valves and with a good carb you should be able to get it running no probs. Bout a day of wrenching in the shop