PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/advice on 66 bonneville chopper

dannyboy
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I recently purchased my first decent project. 1966 Triumph 650 bonnie. i am in the process of getting it to a roller. My question is what you guys think about what kind of front end to use. I can buy a harley narrow glide with wheel and disc brake etc etc. or i can buy a triumph front end and rebuild it and go parts shopping after i assess what i would need to replace. It seems at this point that it may be much much cheaper to just go with the 35mm front end. Triumph parts are so expensive and i would have to scrap around to mix and match as the front end i got was for a preunit and i already sold it. i have no front wheel or hub and want (obviously) to get it running as soon as possible but not for the sake of throwing a piece of shit together just so it runs...it will not be a long front end and i def don't want a springer or anything like that. also it will be a daily rider (as long as SF weather permits).

what are your thoughts about this keeping in mind performance, pricing, and headaches or lack thereof? i have a front end at Rabers on reserve but no front wheel still.

thank you for your comments.

Torch
05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
a lot depends on your budget,
it is a well known fact with everything in life..... " Money always looks good ".

cabtherocker
05-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Torch once again you always know the right things to say. haha

Danny I really think you should go for the 35mm. With the lack of parts you have and the amount of variables it is more cost efficient to get the 35mm.

There is one in the classifieds right now, 21" wheel with brakes and front end for $350. The only thing you would need would be the 1" lower tree off a fx. (maybe $35 on ebay)

dannyboy
05-10-2012, 8:23 AM
thanks for the advice guys...ill probably shop for a narrow glide