PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Mig worth the price?

BigrigXJ
04-25-2012, 1:45 PM
Hello:
I'm looking for a small welder to help me out with some of the bike projects. Nothing huge, I'm not building frames. Just slight modifications to them. Harbor is running $100 off on the 170amp mig. Says it welds up to 1/4 steel. Does anyone have this welder? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

JB

aaronc
04-25-2012, 1:58 PM
No and no

livingdeadmc
04-25-2012, 2:08 PM
I use one of there migs...you def get what you pay for but it works fine i can do solid welds...full penetration and with practice the welds actually look good. Ive done everything from tabs to frames with no issues....

For example...

http://img.tapatalk.com/45805d32-58ff-c7ee.jpg

Dont use the wire that comes with it switch it out for lincoln wire.

jluck27
04-25-2012, 2:34 PM
Ugh..here we go again

vnygra
04-25-2012, 2:41 PM
I love harbor freight, but there's certain things you just don't buy there, and a welder is one of em.

Comingapart
04-25-2012, 5:16 PM
Those welders are compete shit.
The ones i've checked out, the tip is always hot and the trigger just feeds. Lame as fuck.

I was in a local pawnshop the other day and they had a bunch of small Lincolns stacked like cord wood in the $100-150 range. Much better welders than the HF shit.

BigrigXJ
04-25-2012, 6:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm working within a budget and the lincolns and millers are out of my price range and I'm not finding much in the local listings. I have welders at my disposal , but I am tired of having to load up the bike to take it to my pop's shop.

I've also come across Clarke...

Anyone have one they want to make some cash on? I'm working with around $200 - $300.

Thanks everyone for there comments and suggestions. And sorry if I'm brining up a sore subject for some.

livingdeadmc
04-25-2012, 7:19 PM
Hf also has an insane return policy so if u dont like it just return it...theyll take it back. Im not trying to promote hf lol i have three welders...all very nice machines but the hf mig was my first...it drove me to go to school and learn the ins and outs of welding...and now im comfy with most forms of the "art". It always blows my mind how many vaginas start sucking up sand by the gallon when this subject comes up...of course they are shit welders they cost a hundred and fifty fuckn dollars...but that sure as fuck beats dropping a bunch of loot on a welder only to find out that you're not into it or dont dig it.

bonesxl1100
04-25-2012, 7:35 PM
If you've got 200 to 300, I would look into estate sales in your area. Look for farms especially.

livingdeadmc
04-25-2012, 7:39 PM
Good call on the farm sales....def worth checking out.

monkeyoflove
04-25-2012, 9:51 PM
I bought a clarke 110v at a swap meet last summer for 75 bucks. It came with a full bottle of 75/25. It has done everything I asked, just took a little fiddling. however I would save another 100 bucks and buy a lincoln. much less dicking with it to get a good weld.

blacklungky
04-26-2012, 5:52 AM
A friend of mine owns the $100 Chicago from HF, it does everything I've needed from it on my bike but it won't run for more than 10 minutes or so with steady welding.

scandia
04-26-2012, 6:02 AM
I have the HF welder and as long as you have realistic expectations it will be just fine.

2stroketim
04-26-2012, 7:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm working within a budget and the lincolns and millers are out of my price range and I'm not finding much in the local listings. I have welders at my disposal , but I am tired of having to load up the bike to take it to my pop's shop.

I've also come across Clarke...

Anyone have one they want to make some cash on? I'm working with around $200 - $300.

Thanks everyone for there comments and suggestions. And sorry if I'm brining up a sore subject for some.

Fuck sore subjects - we're here to banter about cool shit.....

Check some local pawn shops man. The Chicago welders are complete shit. Take it from the asshole idiot that bought one.....then went to a pawn shop to get a decent one.

cstafford
04-26-2012, 2:29 PM
You guys have cool pawn shops if they have Lincolns and Millers. Ive heard good things about Northern Tools welders. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_welding+wirefeed-welding