PDA

View Full Version : questions about my move to Los Angeles ?

tr6jim
04-25-2012, 8:51 AM
I'm moving to LA with my lady next week from philadelphia, pa.

i ride here with no helmet, no speedo, no inspection, no signals, etc.

how is that gonna fly when i get to LA? I'm staying in Hollywood. (while we decide where to go permanently)

also how about titling/registering it in ca from pa?

thanks.. anything helps. i know nothing about ca.

24Cycles
04-25-2012, 9:05 AM
All of California is a DOT Helmet state. registration of your bike depends on the year and if its special construction.
The best way to skip through a lot of the hoops is to go to a pay registration place then going to the DMV. They can do the vin visual inspection at the pay reg places. DMV will send you to the CHP and they will do a complete inspection depending on who you get.

Be sure to visit Jumbos Clown Room. Its where strippers go to die.

ThePete
04-25-2012, 9:08 AM
No helmet = ticket no ifs ands or buts about it. CHP can be dicks sometimes, same with the LAPD, especially when it comes to local ordinances about noise, etc... California is one of the few states where you do not have to get your vehicle inspected except the first time you go to register it in state, and that's just a VIN# check. The no speedo shouldn't be a problem, all that boils down to is a statement that the bike's actual milage is indeterninable when you go to register it. Do yourself a favor and bring a couple helmets and do a little research as to what states between PA and CA that you'll be passing through that you will need a helmet for. Personally I wouldn't want to ride anywhere in Southern California without a brain bucket, too many variables, it's a concrete jungle literally, and its not very forgiving. Just beware a lot of us refer to Hollywood as Hollyweird for a good reason, there is good weirdness and bad weirdness and then there is Hollyweird, the sleazy underbelly of the Los Angeles area. Lots of stuff to do and see but its also the city of broken dreams, I'd suggest that you not limit your stay in the Hollywood area alone, California can be pretty kick ass, get out and about there are tons of cool places between LA and San Diego.

UncleMonkey
04-25-2012, 9:39 AM
I like OC, especially Huntington Beach but it is surfer, Van Nuys is nice. Long Beach is working class the farther you go in. Wilmington is blue collar, Santa Fe Springs is nice.

Hollywood is weird. Homeless next to multimillionaires. Venice Beach seems to be all stoners and mentally ill.

At least that is my impression. My wife and I go every year and are planning on moving there when I find work/Green card.

tr6jim
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
also.. its not a "matching numbers" bike.. the frame matches the title.. but not the motor.

will that be an issue?

24Cycles
04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Ya your going to get flagged big time. You will need to have that handled before you get here. The motor needs to be cleared free. If the chassis that matches comes back as registered then you will need to get the proper forms signed with them releasing the motor to you.
Huge cluster fuck if they wont. Even if you have title you still need to clear title on motor unless your in possession of the entire bike. Then it boils down to reconstructing a title.

lttlelindsey
04-25-2012, 2:26 PM
If you ride a hard tail..... you have never ridden like you will on the LA freeways. Be ready for what feels like Armageddon. Shit is wild. I catch air at least three times every time I ride between LA and the Shitadel.

OakBehringer
04-25-2012, 3:00 PM
I lived in LA for three years. Got my first motorcycle there. GTFO Hollywood. I lived next to it in Los Feliz, much better. We're talking a mile or two East, not too far. Silverlake, Echo Park, all the same area. If you want to live centrally in Los Angeles, these are the places to do it. Awesome rides through the hills of Griffith Park. Sure, they're filled with hipsters, but they're easy to handle. They won't steal your bike. And they won't rape you. These are big risks in Hollywood. I cannot stress that enough: someone will rape you in Hollywood. Emotionally.

If you don't need to be centrally located, others will pitch in.

lttlelindsey
04-25-2012, 3:03 PM
Burbank is nice.

lvvato
04-25-2012, 5:14 PM
Here's a tip... When entering the Pasadena Fwy(110) from the Ave's, be sure to give it full throttle at GO! Also, don't run off into the river on the same stretch.

Good Luck and don't shit your pants when you buy Insurance, pay registration, & fill-up your tank!

ARBY
04-25-2012, 5:15 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0b5LzCOc98E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fish433
04-25-2012, 9:27 PM
DO NOT GO TO THE DMV find a geto reg. place and do your paper work there
check out Orange county LA is a dump for the most part

tr6jim
04-25-2012, 9:33 PM
yeah.. I'm not in love with LA.. but figure its a good centralized location for us to live/get jobs.

I'm just gonna run my pa tags until they run out next year..

I'm looking for a "guest house" in the LA area..

if anyone can help out ..let me know.. we are staying in a sublet at first.. but looking for a place asap.
is there any good places to find pats/houses other than craigslist?

thanks

24Cycles
04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
When you get in town in front of any 24hr food place there are rental listing books. Also finding a rental broker office in town will help find stuff for you.
http://www.rent.com/account/myrent/view

Chopaweeza
04-25-2012, 10:55 PM
I spend 4-8 weeks in any given year there . I like it to a large degree . Can be a pain in the bum with all the bullshit and thieving twats but you get that in most big cities . These days I stay in Longbeach even though we don;t warehouse there anymore . Nice area and friendly people .

NakedRob
04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
The westside (Santa Monica, Culver City, Westchester, Playa Del Rey) is on the expensive side but not a bad place at all to live.

check out hotpads.com and westsiderentals.com (second one requires membership)

TyroninFXR
04-26-2012, 1:17 AM
I'll take the bay over LA any day. I like to go there from sac when it's over a hundred degrees, nice n cool. Always good shows to catch in the bay, unlike sac.

calicruiser
04-26-2012, 7:44 PM
I lived in the beach areas from Malibu down to Playa del rey for 5 years about 10 years ago. I met my wife there and we figured if we were gonna live in socal we wanted to be near the beach so we worked our asses off and made it happen. She is from Ohio and that is where we live now for the past 2 years. Planning on moving to Temecula, CA in the next 2-3 months. We have kids now so things are different and we want different things from our CA experience. No more hangin out with the homeless and mentally ill in Venice for us! Good schools and nice neighborhoods appeal to us now. Plus, the chopper scene is ok out there too!

Josh

Buzzman
04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I've lived in and around L.A. all my life. I'm in the I.E. these days. But I've been all over. The westside, The San Fernando Valley, Long Beach area and the O.C.

Find a place sort of near where you are planning on working. Commuting here sucks and can be lethal to two wheelers.

Lane splitting is allowed and so is fronting a stop light. We have carpool (HOV) lanes that bikes can travel in.

In my OP:

The westside, Santa Monica West L.A. Venice Hollywood - congested with people and traffic that'll take you out - their time is more important than your safety. Good luck with shitloads of people

The San Fernando Valley (The Valley) - not too bad still very built out and congested with people

Orange County - Nice summer climate near the coast but at the beach cities, the cops aren't too biker friendly. Very busy and spread out. Takes and hour to go to the store which is right down the street. There are some very nice and affluent areas in the O.C. - Bike riding the coast is nice. Avoid the police

Inland Empire (I.E.) 40- 60 miles east of L.A. - It used to be open land where a person got more for their money but that's changing - Still not too bad if you find the right area. A bike rider can actually get out of third gear so to speak. Longer intervals between stop signs and signals. Mountain / desert riding happens out in the I.E.

Like I said, I grew up here. My dad was born here so were my g-parents.

My wife is from Philly PA

I work in the water infrastructure of Southern California from Castaic Lake to San Diego County, the mountains to Palos Verdes Peninsula

If you have any questions, there isn't many places here I haven't been to

Good luck

ThePete
04-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Temecula isn't a bad place, it's definitely not the wild west town I grew up in anymore. Back then you could get away with all sorts of craziness and no one cared, of course no one cared because there weren't too many people around and a lot of the major roads were still dirt in a lot of places. There are still some pretty nice places around Temecula. I'm particularly fond of Murrieta, it feels more like the Temecula I grew up in, there's only so much room to expand before running into the hills on one side and the Ortega range on the other. Temecula has turned into traffic hell with all the housing developments. It used to be easy to get a little ways out of town to have some fun without getting hassled about it. Not so much anymore. I've done the city thing and I think its nice to have friends in LA to go visit with of crash at their pad after a rough night but I wouldn't want to live there.

tr6jim
04-27-2012, 5:22 AM
thanks for all the replies.

im not sure where ill be working out there yet.. thats why i was figuring LA.
i would love to live in a less congested area.. but the girlfriend would like to be around people/things to do.

im not excited about the driving everywhere (and traffic) .. being from the east coast .. you can get around relatively quickly/easly.. and thats one of the things i won't miss.

if anyone hears about any cheap (ish) guest houses or jobs (ill take anything at first) .. in the "hollywood/la" area.. lemme know.

ill be out there tuesday!

Revelator
04-27-2012, 9:09 AM
California is NOT what it once was, especially Southern California.........(LA)

http://dprogram.net/2012/04/19/16-reasons-to-move-away-from-california/

Huero
04-27-2012, 9:29 AM
Here's a tip... When entering the Pasadena Fwy(110) from the Ave's, be sure to give it full throttle at GO! Also, don't run off into the river on the same stretch.

Shit, that was funny as HELL!!!! I remember when I lived in CA and would go visit my homey Baba @ Vintage Tattoo and would have to WOT just o merge on the Ave'...classic memories!

lvvato
04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Shit, that was funny as HELL!!!! I remember when I lived in CA and would go visit my homey Baba @ Vintage Tattoo and would have to WOT just o merge on the Ave'...classic memories!

I was born and raised in LA and lived in Highland Park before I left. I drove that FWY every fucking day and saw tons of people crash into the river and almost get rear ended when entering or exiting that FWY. I miss it sometimes.

alteredpilot
04-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Call Dannya Sannino at 626-255-7589 for all of your bike titling needs. she's savvy, quick and gets things done. i've had her title everything from my scratch built 28 roadster pickup to a travel trailer. just hand her the title and let her do her magic. (although in your case you still might need to make a trip to CHP) but either way call her before you leave PA to get the rundown.

as far as getting located, if you don't have a need for city life, don't stay in LA proper. no hollywood, no valley, no west side, no downtown, nor any of the highly congested outlying areas. its congested, dirty, noisy and expensive. if thats where work is going to be then i would gut it out and not drive the freeways every day, but if you don't have to...

from where i stand... the south bay and the san pedro/long beach areas are where its at.

just my humble opinion.

IronheadChris
04-28-2012, 8:38 PM
CA sucks ass period. Traffic everywhere, too expensive, bullshit laws and cops are up your ass about everything. It's funny cause there are so many CA natives (including myself) that are leaving while everyone else is comin in. The weather is nice but that's pretty much it.

-Chris

tr6jim
04-29-2012, 3:08 PM
Anyone know of any guesthouses for rent? Cheap and decent area would be a plus. Ill be in la as of tues..

Phail
04-29-2012, 5:19 PM
My wife wants to move to LA or NY (She is an artist). After reading this thread I don't know if I want to move to LA. How's NY?

Capino
04-29-2012, 5:27 PM
Dude you are fucking crazy...not that thats a bad thing. I guess there are worse places to live.

IronheadChris
04-29-2012, 8:11 PM
I keep seeing the word cheap. Cheap and LA don't go together. Do some homework before you relocate. You'll see very quickly that even the ghetto area's are expensive compared to many other states nice area's. I know CA looks awesome to everyone not living here but the truth is it sucks. It's a cool place to visit and there is a lot to see and experience but you really don't want to live here.

Check out this link and I'm sure you'll change your mind real fast.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/

-Chris

EDIT: Here is someone else that has no idea what they are getting them selves into.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/1562596-small-house-100k-under-los-angeles.html

tr6jim
05-02-2012, 4:46 PM
so I'm in LA.

staying by the labrea tar pits for now.. and it sucks. too busy.. no parking..etc.

looking for a small house/ guest house.. don't really want to be in a apt building.

if anyone can help.. lemme know.

need a job too !

thanks

jim

BrandonThePleb
05-02-2012, 4:56 PM
so I'm in LA.

staying by the labrea tar pits for now.. and it sucks. too busy.. no parking..etc.

looking for a small house/ guest house.. don't really want to be in a apt building.

need a job too !

thanks

jim

Hey Jim
I'm a desk jockey at a real estate company. PM me with what you"re looking for and your price range with your email. When I get time I can shoot you some listing
~B

smokindave
05-02-2012, 8:16 PM
I just registered my bike and it was previously titled in NY. After it was all said and done. 387.00 out the door. That is a fuckin mint for me right now. Also, I didn't have my bike with me at the time, so now I have to go back and get the VIN checked at the DMV or CHP (your choice). I personally don't like dealing with the CHP, so I will head back to the DMV. The speedo shouldn't be a problem. The lady told me they would just guesstimate upon inspection.

Huero
05-03-2012, 1:29 PM
so I'm in LA.

need a job too !

thanks

jim

Jim,

Now you know why everyone is LEAVING Ca and not going (this includes me). What are you looking for work-wise...I might be able to pass your name around if it's the right profession, but you have to but up a prrofile pic first!!!!!

motorsurf54
05-03-2012, 2:00 PM
If you're not an illegal, a sports star millionaire, or fucking one of the Kardashian sluts then there really isnt any good reason to move to LA. OC isn't much better cost wise but at least it's not as scumbag dirty and full of rotten people.

pirate2876
05-03-2012, 2:36 PM
and it sucks. too busy.. no parking..etc.

.. don't really want to be in a apt building.

jim

Thats all LA. Welcome to the jungle baby.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o1tj2zJ2Wvg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bdock
05-03-2012, 2:52 PM
Move up to Nor Cal. Sacramento is great. People can bitch about the economy but you can make that argument everywhere. I know a bunch of people that were from the LA basin that moved up here to escape. This place is tits.

Edited (Im fucking dumb)

California is an amazing place. But Nor Cal> So Cal

You just cant beat this...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/148972_10150716601882196_622957195_9599023_1369145 136_n.jpg

Im 45 minutes from South Lake Tahoe, 25 from DT Sac, and 1.75 hours away from the beach.