PDA

View Full Version : stuck drain plug on sportster

hyphen
04-24-2012, 12:11 AM
i can't loosen it for the life of me. ran the motor, took the bike for a spin, sprayed on wd40 and even tried applying some engine degreaser but it just would not budge. the motor is sitting in a santee frame and i can't fit a socket or the reverse end of the wrench.

i just need to swap the gasket and it's proving to be a pain in the ass. can i just take out the clutch mechanism and crack open the case and drain it that way?

Daverous
04-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Yep, I drain mine like that every so often to inspect things. A mixture of atf and acetone 50/50 is actually about the best penetrating oil out there if you care to try it. Spray it, let it sit, tap it a few times, and try breaking it then. There's always a way to get those things loose.

tobiism
04-24-2012, 12:39 AM
if you're talking about the primary drain you can lay the bike on an angle left side up and take the primary cover off and not worry about losing much fluid.

hyphen
04-25-2012, 9:36 PM
awesome, ill just do that then. thanks folks.

hyphen
04-26-2012, 12:12 AM
okay, here's another problem i ran into. (i'm going to invest in a service manual this week). from what i understand normal derby covers are removable and you can pull out the clutch release from there. my derby cover is not really a cover and has no screws. i can't remove the damn clutch cable from the cover now.

here are some pics.