PDA

View Full Version : New project!

steffan
12-16-2009, 1:59 AM
I just picked up a 72 yamaha Ls2 100cc. This thing has been laying in a field on it side for 25yrs. The guy gave it to me for a 6pk of pabst. It got it home and pressure washed the moss and weeds off of it and found a motorcycle under there. Everything was locked up. I started bathing it in plp and worked everything loose. Because oil was left in the bag the inside of the motor looks like new. After working SOME of the rust out of the tank, cleaning up the carbs,and stripping off all the stuff I don't want or damaged beyond repair, I got her running. I still need to put new needle and seats in the carbs and finish cleaning up the tank. I'm considering doing a hardtail chop since alot of the original stuff is so clapped out. The local HOG group is the terror of the streets here so I figure if I make a nasty 100cc chop out of it and scream by them leaving a cloud of blue smoke they would crap in their depends. I love 2 stroke chops so if anyone has any imput they want to share or just bullshit about I'm game. I'm semi new to motorcycle riding but have been working on and doing performance mods on 2 stroke motors all my life. If anyone is bored check out my new web site: zombieperformance.com. I look forward to bull shiting with yall. Ill try to get some pics up. My camera took a crap so if I get any they will probably be cell phone pics.

burntclutch
12-16-2009, 2:13 AM
I was done with this story until I hit pabst, look forward to pics

steffan
12-16-2009, 2:38 AM
you must get bored pretty easily because that's only the 3rd sentance.lol

steffan
12-17-2009, 5:44 PM
bad news...! I went threw the carbs again and they are shot. Fuel is leaking around the seats. When I first opened them up they were full of corrosion. Since things dont go wrong one at a time; I lost compression on one of the cylinders. I pulled the pipe and I dont see any scoring. I hope its just rings. Its time to just do a complete teardown. While its apart im going to port the cylinders, build expansion chambers, work on the tank and frame. I got a line on some new (old looking) glass fuel sediment bowls. Since I have dual carbs im going to make dual fuel outlets with dual sedament bowls. I think it will look cool with blue premixed fuel. still working on getting some pics.
steffan
zombieperformance.com

steffan
12-17-2009, 6:19 PM
these are crappy phone pics. if you look at the top of the motor pic you can see one of the sediment bowls2335

wllgmr
12-21-2009, 5:39 PM
that bikes sick. you have my attention sir.

steffan
12-22-2009, 5:47 PM
im going to start tearing the motor down. does anyone want me to post pics and follow up on this project?

crkhobbit
12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Always. Unless you're going to do something lame with it :D

framus
12-23-2009, 10:57 AM
You sure those VM26's are shot? They take one hell of a beating. I'd just soak the crap out of them and put new mains, pilots and maybe an air jet in them if the jet needles/needle jets clean up. If they won't clean up to your satisfaction, I'd slap some new carbs on there and keep those as spares.

I can help you out with the jetting if you need it.

akawaterman
12-23-2009, 12:46 PM
i had one of those bikes -- i used the motor in a YSR 50 -- it is a fast little motor --- if U need a stock oil tank --- i have one --- that is the only thing i have left of the bike --- just lemme kno

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac70/akawaterman/gif_wild_ones.gif

steffan
12-23-2009, 2:11 PM
when i opened up those carbs they were full of white corrosion. i had to dip them in an acid to get the crap off. the housings are all pitted. i put new needles and seats and the bowl still overfills itself and pukes. its not the float either. with the housings as pitted as they are they are leaking through the housing.

steffan
12-23-2009, 2:23 PM
i still have my oil tank. i eliminated the oil injector. i dont trust that little pump to provide the life blood of my engine. ive been working with two strokes for so long that mixing gas is second nature to me. thanks for the imput. i promise it wont suck.

framus
12-23-2009, 4:15 PM
We've got plenty of those carbs if you need 'em...sounds like those are shot. I'd save the jets (for reference), the slides and the cap, toss the rest in the recycling bin. There is always good uses for spare slides and the caps are pretty expensive for what they are.

steffan
12-26-2009, 12:17 PM
im having a hard time finding the carb to intake seals. every parts breakdown i can find does not have them on there and every yamaha shop i talk to doesnt know what im talking about because its old or they have the same i.p.l ive got. shoot me a price on those carbs.

turtle
01-30-2010, 2:30 PM
there is a pint of no return sounds like they are there