PDA

View Full Version : 78 T140 5 speed indexing issues!!!

NITRO
08-06-2009, 8:57 AM
I just tore my 5 speed down everything checked out I replaced seals, reassembled correctly etc and I then spent 2 hrs trying to index it correctly. I can get 4 gears but just cant seem to get 5th! I tried initially indexing just as the manual said but that obviously didn't work. Also does anyone know, it does have to be in 1st gear when you index right? Thats what my manual says, but I read differently in another forum. Cheers, Kyle

NITRO
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow all that and I got a tip....ignore the manual, put the bike into high gear manually, shift quadrant all the way to the ceiling, drop it down one tooth. And it was that simple. I have all 5 gears again, way easier than gassing it to start in 2nd!

Tyler
08-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Kyle and I sorted this out just now.. a few tips to people with this same problem in the future on a 5 speed gearbox

Viewing the quadrant plate from the rear of the bike, counter-clockwise all the way is 5th gear, clockwise all the way is 1st, 2nd notch from clockwise is your neutral notch, where it needs to be when you install all your gears etc.

After trying to follow the Haynes and Clymer manuals for indexing (all wrong, don't waste your time!) we figured out a super easy way to do it.

- Rotate the quadrant plate all the way counter-clockwise until it is in 5th gear.

- Put the inner gearbox cover on, holding the quadrant selector all the way down with your finger, which makes it rub along the inside top of the gearbox as you push it in.

- Lightly seat the inner cover, and then slightly back the inner cover off until you can just move the selector, and move it slightly so it drops down one notch from the top. Fasten your inner and outer gearbox covers (one or two screws for now until you know it is right), test it and you should be able to go through all gears and neutral.

A good way to do this is if you have the chain on so you can rotate the rear wheel while shifting and just keep a couple fingers on the mainshaft so you feel it spin, stop when it hits neutral, then spin again as it clicks up through the gears.

This indexing trick works for 4 speed gearboxes too, just put it in 4th gear and follow the same tips above

Tyler

dazegoneby
01-28-2013, 7:43 AM
well,you got good advice ,i had this sort of prob but a few mismatched parts can give you fits,,,plunger tip pointed or rounded,,also the quadrant neede shaveing to get full shift throw to operate weak plunger spring,also,,,clymer manualsAGHHH,,,took mine apart way to many times to find this stuff out ,,no where was this in any of the 3 manuals I had,,,,,,ah fun in limey land,,,check out the" t140 blues" thread I posted way back, the guys here,,gave me all sorts of their wizards knowledge,,if the info wont help these guys can walk you threw it,,,, once again ,,,props to speedfiend,and torch without them ,i,d still be rideing a" 4" speed 5 speed,

Knuckleduster
01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
get them miles daze ! :D

Torch
01-28-2013, 7:48 PM
:killerjob:

follow Tyler's advise, you'll be fine.

learn from Daze... don't build a bitsa.