PDA

View Full Version : Bike With No Title

JesseMFE
04-21-2012, 4:28 PM
I have an opportunity to get a complete iron head from my step father really cheap. Problem is, it has not title.
I'm in Florida and was wondering what the easiest route is to get it legal. If I buy an aftermarket frame with an mso will that make it easier to register or does that not matter because early bike vin #s are on the engine.

hawtpocket
04-21-2012, 4:45 PM
some states only require a bill of sale to register anything older than 15 years. I dunno if Florida is one though, I'm sure someone else will chime in. In AZ they require a title and I've gotten a bonded title for stuff that got sold on a bill of sale.

Bandersnatch
04-21-2012, 4:59 PM
Make sure it isn't stolen. Like make sure your dad's buddy didn't leave it at his house forever ago and not come back for it and then he says "here ya go kiddo."

Also pre-1970 HD titles go with motor.....so an aftermarket frame wouldn't matter, or help.

HotSnotRocket
04-21-2012, 6:45 PM
For around $300 there's a guy in Louisiana that can do it. No, don't ask how I know him. Almost every state has something but normally there's a Catch. In NJ you post it in the paper for 30 days and if no one comes forth you get a title but it's a "Rebuilt". The one out of Louisana does not show anything funny.

TheSandman
04-21-2012, 7:13 PM
I bought an ironhead for $600 without a title because I thought it was a deal. While trying to get a title through DMV, I got a call from my local cop telling me the bike was stolen. An hour later they showed up and hauled the bike off.

That's the last time I'll ever buy a bike without a title.

HotSnotRocket
04-21-2012, 7:20 PM
I bought an ironhead for $600 without a title because I thought it was a deal. While trying to get a title through DMV, I got a call from my local cop telling me the bike was stolen. An hour later they showed up and hauled the bike off.

That's the last time I'll ever buy a bike without a title.

Probably best.

My '57 came from Georgia, on old stuff there's not any titles (just a registration). This is the bike that belonged to my Best Friend who was killed in '79. I knew it wasn't stolen but still a PIA to get a title.

I also just my Bobber on a MCO. The DMV wanted Receipts for Everything Possible. I had about 40 Pages Of Crap and Inspections, Tax Assessor and Back to the DMV before I got a Title on the "bob".

lousassol
04-21-2012, 7:26 PM
run the vin numbers at the dmv or aaa... if you write a bills of sale's for the main pieces (frame, motor, wheels, frontend) you will be eligible for a constructed or assymbled bike... google florida dmv and start reading... that is best

ksroger
04-21-2012, 7:45 PM
If it's not stolen, jumping through all the hoops is a pain in the ass....

motorlou
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
is the bike out of state? i don't know the laws in florida but this is how it rolls here in cali. i got an out of state bike with no title so i have my registration lady do a lien sale ($70) then i have to have the vin inspected and pay the registration fees which will be like $130ish...............done

Hubbard
04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Try contacting the dmv in Vermont, they issue a certificate of title on a bill of sale. Get the local fuzz to run it first and save yourself a sore ass.

desertw0lf
04-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Here in NV it can be a fucking nightmare to reg a no-title bike. They sometimes don't even accept bonded titles. However, you can have someone place a lien against it, and when it goes unclaimed for two weeks they can get a new title for it for you. Costs a mint, though. I think you can also peitition the court to transfer title to you as well down here, but who the fuck wants to go through all that trouble?

Noshoes
04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
florida is one the most relaxed states ever on this. If it is an older bike, usually pre early 70's and hasnt been paper titled since then, they will issue one with a bill of sale(as long as your numbers are clean.

Best thing to do is have the numbers ran, see if you can see who it was registered to last or atleast when. Have your numbers ran by anyone that is a friend, if the numbers are crooked and you go to an officer or goverment place, they are required to come get the bike.

If the numbers are good, and they wont give you a title, then you can do an aspt title in florida with a BOS for motor, MSO for frame and thats it, BUT I will say the more reciepts you have(for front end, seat, wheel, everything) the easier they are on you.

slim55g
04-22-2012, 11:28 AM
florida is one the most relaxed states ever on this. If it is an older bike, usually pre early 70's and hasnt been paper titled since then, they will issue one with a bill of sale(as long as your numbers are clean.

Best thing to do is have the numbers ran, see if you can see who it was registered to last or atleast when. Have your numbers ran by anyone that is a friend, if the numbers are crooked and you go to an officer or goverment place, they are required to come get the bike.

If the numbers are good, and they wont give you a title, then you can do an aspt title in florida with a BOS for motor, MSO for frame and thats it, BUT I will say the more reciepts you have(for front end, seat, wheel, everything) the easier they are on you.

Then you wind up with an ASPT title & about 40% less resale value,And when you get run in circles for 3 weeks & they ask where it is so the sherriffs can pic it up, send me a message & i will show you how to have a legitimate Harley, FL title in your hand in 90 days for under $300. I do this all the time. 2 Requirements,,, 1, Numbers must be unaltered & 2, MUST NEVER HAVE BEEN STOLEN OR REPORTED STOLEN ANYWHERE... Unless its a stolen recovery with an affidavid from the recovering agency.
PS. I live in Florida also, & unless you know how to aquire a title, it's a frickin nightmare
Slim

Kbellavia
04-22-2012, 2:53 PM
I have a title question also, I bought my bike from a dude that bought it from another guy. Problem is he never got it signed over to his name. The title was signed by it's original owner and the second guy who bought it. Apparently there is no way to contact either person on the title. Is there an easy way to get it transferred into my name? I'm in Texas

slim55g
04-22-2012, 4:32 PM
I have a title question also, I bought my bike from a dude that bought it from another guy. Problem is he never got it signed over to his name. The title was signed by it's original owner and the second guy who bought it. Apparently there is no way to contact either person on the title. Is there an easy way to get it transferred into my name? I'm in Texas

I can't quote Texas law, but in most cases, they just want the TAXs associated with the sale, in many cases, if you have proper paperwork , IE signed title from Orig owner to your point of purchase, a bill of sale from the PO signed over to you, you can pay the sales tax & transfer fee's for both transactions ,, it can be done. My suggestion is to play dumb & ask questions at your local DMV. DON'T GIVE ANY MORE INFO THAN THEY ASK FOR & DON'T BRING ANY PAPER WORK WITH YOU THE FIRST TIME.. GO IN WITH A ,"WHAT IF"!!!! LESS IS MORE !!! & BE POLITE, if you go in telling them how to do it, you will find out how much they can make your life misarable!!!

ARBY
04-22-2012, 6:07 PM
Why not just have the step dad apply for a new title seeing as he doesn't have the original? Should be no problem if he truly owns the bike and it was registered in his name.

Kbellavia
05-19-2012, 10:40 AM
I can't quote Texas law, but in most cases, they just want the TAXs associated with the sale, in many cases, if you have proper paperwork , IE signed title from Orig owner to your point of purchase, a bill of sale from the PO signed over to you, you can pay the sales tax & transfer fee's for both transactions ,, it can be done. My suggestion is to play dumb & ask questions at your local DMV. DON'T GIVE ANY MORE INFO THAN THEY ASK FOR & DON'T BRING ANY PAPER WORK WITH YOU THE FIRST TIME.. GO IN WITH A ,"WHAT IF"!!!! LESS IS MORE !!! & BE POLITE, if you go in telling them how to do it, you will find out how much they can make your life misarable!!!

Thanks Slim, got the wheels rolling on getting a title, I have to apply for a "bonded" title. Asked a few friends that have done this and they said it was pretty easy :)

CMA406
05-19-2012, 11:48 AM
ill say this, i had to title my triumph and it took 8 months, countless trips to the DMV, getting told different shit by all kinds of people, etc. In the end i got it titled as the actual year it was, no special construction, but it was a HUGE pain in the ass. The only way i would ever buy another no title bike is for dirt fucking cheap, even then its a liability you take on. If i count my time worth 15 bucks/ hour i would have been way ahead to buy a bike with a title in the case of that triumph. just sayin...

KIRK
05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
I have gone to the DMV several times and said that I had lost the pink slip for a vehicle. The story is that it has been in your family for 20+ years and has never run and it is now the family project to work on. That way there is no reason for them to expect a bill of sale or a pink slip. As long as it doesn't come back stolen, you're OK.

jluck27
05-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I have gone to the DMV several times and said that I had lost the pink slip for a vehicle. The story is that it has been in your family for 20+ years and has never run and it is now the family project to work on. That way there is no reason for them to expect a bill of sale or a pink slip. As long as it doesn't come back stolen, you're OK.

Yup yup..they'll make you do a "Statement of fact" and you'll be on your way.

lunchbox16
05-23-2012, 2:46 PM
awhile back on jj someone put up a way to do. i'm paraphrasing this, but here it is.
the dmv removes vehicles out of their system after 5-6 years of inactivity. so if you call the dmv ask if they can run the numbers of a bike your looking to buy. you want to know if there is any fees, fines, issues attached to it. if they tell you it comes back clean it's still in their system. if they tell you they can not find it, then it's out of their system. from there you can go to the dmv and apply for a lost title. letting them know the bike has been in your possession for .... years and you lost your title.

again this is not my method

i have a titleless bike myself i got it for 300. i've contacted the dmv and its no longer in their system. i still have not pulled the trigger beyond that myself. i've had the bike for a year and its in pieces so i'm not in a rush.

don't know if this helps