PDA

View Full Version : I know its been covered.. but 68 bonnie and joe hunt mag question again

backwithabang
04-20-2012, 8:14 PM
alright guys, I'm having a hell of a time here. Have had guidance from legends and noobs and still having problems

New Joe hunt on the dreaded 68 t120r bottom triumph.

Something is funky with these cam shafts on this year. Everyone says to cut the hunt supplied hex bolt 1/4 inch. I did it. it bites the hex holder well and turns the mag over. When everything is set it will start with one kick, but then putters out.

It's not the compression, spark, or valves. Fuels there, carbs are brand new amal 932s on a 71 top bored to a 750 just rebuilt.

new plugs gapped to 18

my bike seems to like somewhere bewteen 36 and 34 btc.

like I said it will start, run and die out. then not start. That cam hex is slipping and fucking my timing in the ass.

any suggestions besides loctiting the fuck out of the thing and hoping?

Torch
04-21-2012, 9:02 AM
did you ever remove the old ignition pin from the inside of the cam before you installed the Hunt taper drive? it could be all mushed over in there and be the cause of all this, get a flash light and look in there.

backwithabang
04-23-2012, 7:04 AM
Pin was removed but I did the flashlight look anyway and deep in the cam was part of a sheered hex screw. That explains a lot.