PDA

View Full Version : Machining questions

NakedRob
04-19-2012, 8:08 PM
I've gotta replace my rings and check out the top end on my Suzuki Savage. Keep in mind I have just one cylinder and 4 valves.

How much should I pay for a valve seat job?

Should I have the machinist check the tolerances of the cylinder and piston and will I pay for it?

Any other work I should look into?

jluck27
04-19-2012, 9:38 PM
I've gotta replace my rings and check out the top end on my Suzuki Savage. Keep in mind I have just one cylinder and 4 valves.

How much should I pay for a valve seat job?

Should I have the machinist check the tolerances of the cylinder and piston and will I pay for it?

Any other work I should look into?

If you don't have a bore mic and ball gauges, you'll have to have a machine shop look at it and you may also have to have the cylinder cleaned up depending on what it looks like inside. Do you have a book to tell you what the cylinder wall thickness should be? Has it been worked on before and machined? You basically need that info to determine what size pistons you may need? Like degrees over.

Valve seat jobs just depend, but I could see that valve job being very expensive.

cros36
04-20-2012, 7:11 AM
are you talking about lapping valves? or you think that you actually need to cut or replace valve guides?

how do you know that you need to re-ring and not bore, which you will for sure need a machinist, and well as new pistons and rings.

if you have decent compression now and your just getting into the engine to freshen it up, i would say just lap the valves yourself, ball hone, and re-ring. something that can be done in a night over a few beers.

mxpimp47
04-20-2012, 7:07 PM
if your motor runs fine other than just freshening things up like cros36 said then you shouldnt have to worry about that unless you have a lot of time. BUT to check the valve seats your self you can turn the head upside down and spray some parts cleaner behind the valves and if it leaks through then they need to be lapped in.

You can go to any auto parts store and by the lapping compound that is suitable for a normal lapping job. If they are bad you should have them re-cut or replaced. You can purchase one of those goofy ass suction cup tools for valves and do the job. Or speed things up with a drill and a rubber hose or fuel line and spin it at a low rpm. Then check em.

But to even determine if any of the above is necessary, do the leak test first with some parts cleaner. That will get you started.