PDA

View Full Version : anybody get tired of switching bikes?

motorlou
04-18-2012, 10:15 PM
hey guys i was just wondering if anybody here gets tired of having different bikes all the time? i know it sounds contrary to what reason would say (different bikes all the time? yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!) it just seems that i always get different bikes to chop/ride/sell therefore not having the necessity to have one for my very own you know? the few times i have had a bike i swore would be a keeper, i felt i was neglecting it when it collect dust cause of me riding all the other ones! i am currently working on my ironhead project a little at a time while trying to juggle different customers bikes in the shop. i promised myself it would stay home this time............pinky promise! anyone else?

randommayhem
04-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Whenever I build a car or bike I always say "I'm gonna keep this one" but in the end there is always something about it that I don't like, usually the handlebars, seat or simple stuff like that. Instead of just fixing the problem I sell it so it gives me a reason to build another, 6 bikes and 4 cars later I'm still not satisfied...

Irish1971
04-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I have just had one long time bike and it is nice. Like an old married couple. She understands me lol. Sounds like your ready to settle down.

ThePete
04-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I wish I had that problem now, the most amount of bikes we ever had at one time was 3. My GSXR, my wife's 250 Ninja and a Katana 600. I'd take the Katana out and run it around just to keep everything in order till we sold it but I never wanted to ride it. The thing was a pig conpaired to the GSXR and wasn't nearly as much fun to spank as the Ninja. However once we got rid of the Katana and Ninja my wife bought a Rebel 450, I'd steal that bike every chance I got. I road that bike more than my own for a while and I took an extra month to get new tires on my bike just so I had an excuse to save gas by using the Rebel. One of the best little bikes they never should have stopped building, I miss that little thing. If I ever come across another in 1/2 way decent shape I'd snatch it up in a heart beat. So do I get tired of switching bikes, nope I miss some of them others I'm happy to see down the road. Although I feel like my current bike is a keeper, unless I came across a hell of a deal on an FXR that is.

Sent while masturbating in the handicap stall.

NakedRob
04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I've been with my bike for 4.5 years now, but thats because I'm paying of student loans n shit.

BerserkerBlue
04-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I've had a couple bikes. Never really regretted getting rid of any of them so far, but I'm pretty fond of my shovel. I kinda see me and it being together for the long haul. Kinda seeing it being a 'til death thing. Other bikes may come and go but I kinda see it being the one that gets the most miles.

Never done enough switching to be tired of it, but also don't have much intrest in it if that answers your question.

Detale
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I wish I had that problem now, the most amount of bikes we ever had at one time was 3. My GSXR, my wife's 250 Ninja and a Katana 600. I'd take the Katana out and run it around just to keep everything in order till we sold it but I never wanted to ride it. The thing was a pig conpaired to the GSXR and wasn't nearly as much fun to spank as the Ninja. However once we got rid of the Katana and Ninja my wife bought a Rebel 450, I'd steal that bike every chance I got. I road that bike more than my own for a while and I took an extra month to get new tires on my bike just so I had an excuse to save gas by using the Rebel. One of the best little bikes they never should have stopped building, I miss that little thing. If I ever come across another in 1/2 way decent shape I'd snatch it up in a heart beat. So do I get tired of switching bikes, nope I miss some of them others I'm happy to see down the road. Although I feel like my current bike is a keeper, unless I came across a hell of a deal on an FXR that is.

Oh the rebel 450 is a bad ass little thing. Geared right it can be like a modern 650. The only thing is getting parts for it sometimes can be a pain if you wanted to keep it stock. Shame they only made em 2 years or so. I've been keeping my eye out for one myself. The 250 isn't bad either. I'd just have to lose about 50 lbs to get it past 65mph. I still love that bike though

billdozer
04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
For a long time, each bike funded the next bike for me. I found my level by getting an FXR that I'll keep for life and then cycle through other projects and bikes as money allows, etc but always maintaining that one keeper bike so as not to be bikeless and so there is always a go-to machine that I love. Annual tweaks and changes help keep the relationship healthy, and deeper projects keep me busy and when I'm done with one, I'll ride it a while and flip it to pay for the next one.

ThePete
04-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm kinda thinking that with the FXDX, the T Sport thread on here has given me some ideas as to areas to improve upon with my bike but I'd still like to have something I could cut up and turn into radness. But before I can even think of doing that we gotta replace the little Rebel that could so the wife won't be left out of the fun. I'm thinking a Savage might be a good replacement, I've heard some good things about those not so little thumpers.

motorlou
04-19-2012, 1:31 AM

i just sold a suzuki gs450 i bought off a distraught friend, only had 4,900 original miles. i really didn't even want it but i figured i'd help the guy out and either flip the bike or cut it up in the future for me. i ended up keeping it for several months. let me tell you tell me, that little fucker hauled some serious ass dudes!!! i think that was like the perfect all around bike. you could do decent freeway speeds and it was completely nimble to blast around town. i ended up selling it because i came to the realization that it was not ever going to get cut up and would end up like all the other bikes for me, not ridden.

jluck27
04-19-2012, 8:08 AM
I do this non-stop. I'll always tell my girl, Oh no, I'm keeping this bike and poof I'm selling her the next month to fund something else. I think that's all part of the game. I'm picking up a knucklehead and I'm totally keeping it!!! HAHAHA

dazegoneby
04-19-2012, 8:24 AM
The only thing that could sever me and the trump, would be a 61 pan other than, that the bonnies a keeper,at 51, why start over again, when your already cheating death by getting up in the morning .Ive had most of the popular makes at one time or another,but my soul is british...first bike was green, my last bike should be too, wheel in the sky ,sorta thing ya know,as a boy, i wondered why i would get a woodie, when we went to triumph shop.:D

24Cycles
04-19-2012, 8:32 AM
Im just a caretaker until someone wants it more then I do. Its a revolving door....

jluck27
04-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Im just a caretaker until someone wants it more then I do. Its a revolving door....

Too bad the revolving door is into my garage!!! Hahaha...Nikki wants you to stop buying bikes!! Love you brother!!

BillyT
04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
i just sold a suzuki gs450 i bought off a distraught friend, only had 4,900 original miles. i really didn't even want it but i figured i'd help the guy out and either flip the bike or cut it up in the future for me. i ended up keeping it for several months. let me tell you tell me, that little fucker hauled some serious ass dudes!!! i think that was like the perfect all around bike. you could do decent freeway speeds and it was completely nimble to blast around town. i ended up selling it because i came to the realization that it was not ever going to get cut up and would end up like all the other bikes for me, not ridden.

Yeah man, my GS450 was a sick little bike... so much fun to ride, and like you said, the thing would get up and run. Moved out way better than my Honda 450. But it didn't have any soul... mainly cause I didn't give it any... but it never felt like it was a part of me, like the Honda was, and now the Sporty.... But it was like riding a bicycle with an engine. It'd make an awesome second, always running bike to have sitting in the garage... Maybe I'll buy it back eventually.

As for flipping them, I thought that was always what I was going to do. Honda sold and bought the sporty, Suzuki sold and payed for all the parts to get the Sporty running... and my original plan was to sell the Sporty to build the next bike... But really, I feel like the sporty is the perfect platform for anything that I can currently see myself wanting to ride, so from here on out, unless somebody is waving the cash at me, I'll prolly just rebuild this thing every year or so...

UncleMonkey
04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
..that Zen state when it is late at night and you are elbows deep into your machine, AC/DC's Ride On comes on the stereo, the hum of the welder waiting to lay down a bead, the forgotten beer on the bench, the slow curl of smoke from an ashtray, the soft moan from your dog sleeping by the door...

never encountered it :p

Building is addicting and when a bike is done the rush is gone. You can ride a lot of miles before you reach that place.

MadRiverMoCo
04-19-2012, 1:54 PM
I will never sell my excelsior - and not just because no one would ever buy a bike that ugly - this bike has let me down so many times but I still love it - I know it and it seems just the perfect embodiment of my place in the world - slightly fucked, mostly problematic but everyonce in a while it is fucking grins for days...

god I fucking love my motorcycle...

ARBY
04-19-2012, 3:26 PM
Don't know what that's like. I've only owned 8 bikes in the last 45 years and the one I have now I've owned for 32 years!

24Cycles
04-19-2012, 4:34 PM
Ditto foolio.... You going to be at LBC Swap this weekend? I will be in the usual place holla balla
Also looks like my new joints a go. City just cleared me on zoning for the new shop and I am signing in the morning as long as my walk through goesw well.
24Cycles will move from our private shop to a retail commercial area to make life a little easier for all our customers and give my wife a break from the hoodlums stopping by to pick up goodness. My wife actually calls it beer time since that is what it usually turns into lol.

Too bad the revolving door is into my garage!!! Hahaha...Nikki wants you to stop buying bikes!! Love you brother!!