PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Sportster 883 no spark.

AlexMPLS
04-17-2012, 7:22 PM
Got the bike out and was driving down the road shifted down to first to stop at a light and it started "lunging" a few times and it died. Bike is no longer getting any spark. Checked the plugs, no spark. checked the cables, no spark. I'm looking for where to go next. I know you can check your coil but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. This is my first bike and I know their is no better way to learn then to try so I'm asking for any insight I can get. Thanks ahead of time.

HubertCumberdale
04-17-2012, 8:25 PM
I can give it a guess. If the bike started to bog down and die with no spark my first guess would be ignition pickup is bad in the nose cone on the cam side. But after it cools down it usually gets spark again. Or possibly a bad BAS ( bank angle sensor).of course Iwould rule out all the simple stuff first. Like you have been doing.

Saltytonk
04-17-2012, 9:32 PM
Check the wires going to the coil to see if power is going into the coil.

brenderson
04-18-2012, 10:29 AM
I have had this happen before but I was able to get mine started up again fairly easily. I agree with the first response that it is probably the ignition pickup sensor. Pull off your "points" cover and check to see if the sensor feels gooey and if it has melted at all.

jwhite
04-19-2012, 10:13 AM
If you have access to a manual, the part they're referring to is the ignition control module. That can go bad and cause your problem of no spark. This sounds dumb, but another problem could be your battery. If the battery does not have full charge, it's not going to put out enough juice to fire the ignition coil. Running or not. Test the battery. Should have 12 volts with the motor off and about 14 volts with the motor running. If you're battery is in fact, good, check the stator. It will go bad over time and quit charging like it should. That bike's 10 years old so it's a good possibility. I have an 02 also and replaced mine a few years ago.

Get a Clymer manual or a HD service manual which is even better. They'll tell you everything to check to narrow your problem down so you know what to replace. In the past I've changed the ignition module, coil, regulator, and then found out the stator went bad.

Also, check the connections on your battery. Especially making sure the cable on the negative terminal is tight.