PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Roller, no papers

Kcarvajal
04-17-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a chance to buy a hardtail roller but it has no papers. Unsure of the year.

Anyone know if I can get this titled in IL on the motor VIN (if that's avail) or does it have to be on the frame?

Would be cool to have a new project.

Thanks!
Ken

Torch
04-17-2012, 3:45 PM
if it was here I could help you.
If it's not on a stolen list I can get you a title from DMV in 10 minutes here in Calif.

Kcarvajal
04-17-2012, 9:24 PM
Thanks Torch! I picked it up this evening, I fell in love with it. Frame looks untouched, fork, 19" front wheel and 16" rear for a great deal. There's a number on the stem, but didn't look like a VIN to me.

The frame is exactly like the 544 model, first picture in the link below.
http://www.britcycle.com/products/customframe.htm
'
Do you know what the process is in IL? I see some where you can take it in and get it inspected, but just have to show receipts, etc. i was told you can get it registered based on a titled engine, which I intend to do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

dazegoneby
04-18-2012, 5:54 AM
If it was Va, it would go on engine #s

TheLakewoodKid2
04-18-2012, 10:39 AM
its pretty hard to get a title here in IL. You will have to go the bonded title route you will need a appraisal and pictures of the bike and also the dealer who appraises it will have to sign off on it being a "running bike". Then the state will probably send all the paperwork back and say you need a cop to check the numbers and sign off on it. In the end its alot of work and time look for a motor with paper. Was the frame for sale at the woodstock swap?

Kcarvajal
04-18-2012, 4:21 PM
its pretty hard to get a title here in IL. You will have to go the bonded title route you will need a appraisal and pictures of the bike and also the dealer who appraises it will have to sign off on it being a "running bike". Then the state will probably send all the paperwork back and say you need a cop to check the numbers and sign off on it. In the end its alot of work and time look for a motor with paper. Was the frame for sale at the woodstock swap?

Sucks! Might still be worth the effort since I figure I won't be riding this for quite some time. I have yet to find a motor. I'll take my time... But you think if I get a motor with papers, it would simplify the process? I plan on investing in a built motor.

It was at the swap apparently, but I saw it on CL. I just couldn't pass it up.

Thanks!
Ken

TheLakewoodKid2
04-18-2012, 9:41 PM
For a aftermarket frame I would look for a motor with a title

Kcarvajal
04-19-2012, 4:56 AM
For a aftermarket frame I would look for a motor with a title

Cool! I'll definitely do that.

Thanks fellas!

Ken