PDA

View Full Version : Another Chopper Mag??

brobeck
04-15-2012, 1:45 PM
So I've been working with the old guys over at Easyriders Mag for about a year now and have convinced them to let me put out a new chopper mag for them. I had planned to put out a Japanese style magazine but was told it would cost way to much to print 100,000 high end "photo books" . So what I decided to do was just put out an original Easyriders style mag. No studio shoots, no show bikes, no goofy layouts with hard to read text; just a plain ol' easy to read magazine. Having access to the archives of a mag that has been around since 1971 and the photographers and artist I have on board will make for a pretty fuckin rad magazine.

The only problem I am having is coming up with the name, seems as though every god damn .com is taken. I'm open for suggestions, and if I use the name I'll make sure you get a subscription and some other cool shit that is lying around the office.

SingSing
04-15-2012, 2:08 PM
OutLawChop.com? Just a stupid in da wind suggestion...
IronButterfly.com ?
KatanaChopShop.com ?
BRFRs (By Riders For Riders..A play on that FUBU clothin line those hip hop guys wear)...?
Thats all i got......im done. Goin on a beer run...

NHMike
04-15-2012, 2:12 PM
When I was in bands, I always wanted to name a band this, but no one ever went with it. If you really want to you can use:

Fistfull of Penis

NHMike
04-15-2012, 2:14 PM
What about something simple, like "Chops", or "Chop". Whatever it is, make sure it's something simple and easy to remember. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a URL that matches the Mag, if it's good enough, we'll know where to go, even if it's www.fistfullofpenis.com

cHiCoD
04-15-2012, 2:22 PM
Throttle Jockey magazine
throttlejockeymagazine.com.
is not taken.

NHMike
04-15-2012, 2:23 PM
Throttle Jockey

Ooooh, I like that one. Chico wins.

SingSing
04-15-2012, 2:26 PM
CACKARB.com

CagersAndCopsKillinARidersBuzz.com

SingSing
04-15-2012, 2:33 PM
BLUSEPOET.com

BikersLikeUsSpendinEveryPaycheckOnExpsensiveToys.c om!!!

LOL dude as u can tell Im freakin bored as hell this sunday!!! I can spen all night on this shit!!

wrastu
04-15-2012, 4:51 PM
Get Chopped

Flatironmike
04-15-2012, 4:56 PM
D. O. A.

Saltytonk
04-15-2012, 5:02 PM
DeathTrap

JBiorn
04-15-2012, 5:03 PM
"The Hatchet"

avastyematey
04-15-2012, 5:11 PM
righteous scoots (or bikes or chops) .

referencing the old easy riders company.

righteousscoots.com is free too.

Irish1971
04-15-2012, 5:15 PM
Highside.....Better chains and sprockets.....Cycle monthly or monthly Cycle. I cant think of nothin good. Fist full of penis really aint that bad. I subscribe to a couple of mags very much like that.

avastyematey
04-15-2012, 5:18 PM
miraculous muthas

also available...

JBiorn
04-15-2012, 5:31 PM
miraculous muthas

also available...

^This^ is good.

Das Biel

cykel slagter(fun, Google translate is my friend)

HalfFast
04-15-2012, 6:17 PM
Maybe you can work out a deal with the owner of this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ItCBgGzH4X0/TNDfYBgruNI/AAAAAAAABiY/rTWfWBL6fmw/s320/Capture.PNG

avastyematey
04-15-2012, 7:21 PM
Maybe you can work out a deal with the owner of this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ItCBgGzH4X0/TNDfYBgruNI/AAAAAAAABiY/rTWfWBL6fmw/s320/Capture.PNG

that's George the Painter, he writes for The Horse.... probably not a chance.

tradarcher
04-15-2012, 8:18 PM
antimegabuckglitzcycle.com
Tramps with cramps

me
04-15-2012, 9:30 PM
whatever you decide to call it keep us posted. Sounds cool!

Oh and my name suggestion (I def want cred if it floats the boat)

"The Shop Rag"

JMFNC
04-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Nut rag
I fucked your mom
Balls to the wall
Spread legs and open butterflies
Time warp
Chrome sucks
Thrust
Contact patch
Broken knuckles

I don't know..... Hot Carl

tommyshock
04-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Hard Ride ?

lousassol
04-15-2012, 11:26 PM
ragweeds magazine

vulture supremacy magazine

spent time with no dime magazine

fuck my mouth with your knuckle magazine

costume party magazine

chainsaw wheelie magazine

rock-a-really? magazine

just off the top of my head magazine

good thread magazine

lousassol is out magazine

lousassol
04-15-2012, 11:28 PM
"The Hatchet"

hatchet mag is pretty advanced

Watasha
04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Literally the worst place ever to ask for advice.
I think the mag is a cool idea though, hopefully you come up with a name and I see it on the shelves.

livingdeadmc
04-16-2012, 6:11 AM
"whiskey throttle" since i just learned what the means lmao or "raked" or "pavement" or "live fast"

Spade115
04-16-2012, 7:21 AM
If its all chops and no bling bikes you can always go with a classic

fuckthefactorymag.com (if not taken)

your "logo" can be a hacksaw with the word "motorcycle" in it (looking like it) so you can stay away from the "bobber/chopper" is it this or that wording

MadRiverMoCo
04-16-2012, 7:33 AM
D. O. A.

He's not afraid. You can tell from a man's eyes when he is afraid. Look at his eyes.

I can breathe and I can move, but I'm not alive because I took that poison, and nothing can save me.

Not one inch good sir, not one inch!

SingSing
04-16-2012, 8:13 AM
miraculous muthas

also available...

HEY!!!!!! THATS a good one!!!!!

brobeck
04-16-2012, 8:18 AM
Literally the worst place ever to ask for advice.
I think the mag is a cool idea though, hopefully you come up with a name and I see it on the shelves.

And when you say "worst" you actually mean the best......right. So far Fist full of Penis is my favorite, I'll run it by them.

ARBY
04-16-2012, 9:15 AM
And when you say "worst" you actually mean the best......right. So far Fist full of Penis is my favorite, I'll run it by them.

Ooooh yeah. Commercial success is just over the horizon with that name. Advertisers will line up to throw their money at you - if they're selling jack rags and toilet paper!

bluesrock
04-16-2012, 11:51 AM
"jack rags and toilet paper" has a nice ring to it.

brobeck
05-03-2012, 7:43 AM
Well.......... The boss decided on a name.

WRENCH
an easyriders magazine

It could have been worse, trust me.

1st issue will be out in july. stay tuned for more info.

felon
05-03-2012, 7:47 AM
as long as they keep putting trailer park chicks in the mag im sold....

1waywardrider
05-03-2012, 7:55 AM
So, if ya got a name, how do you get in the mag?

Hooligan80
05-03-2012, 8:18 AM
So what I decided to do was just put out an original Easyriders style mag. No studio shoots, no show bikes, no goofy layouts with hard to read text; just a plain ol' easy to read magazine.

There's already a magazine out like that, it's called Easyriders

Hooligan80
05-03-2012, 8:20 AM
Well.......... The boss decided on a name.

WRENCH
an easyriders magazine

It could have been worse, trust me.

1st issue will be out in july. stay tuned for more info.

Scrap that name, already a UK based magazine

http://www.derbyowned.com/the-list/46-publications-newspapers-and-magazines/83-the-wrench-magazine

BingTheBarber
05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Wrench..... doesn't seem all that catchy.....

gyro
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
is there going to be a beaver hunt in it? I hope so that was my favorite part of Easyrider. you shouldve called it, titties & destroy!!!

cbw
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
as long as they keep putting trailer park chicks in the mag im sold....

This

Buster68
05-27-2012, 5:51 AM
So I am all confused now - when I read this thread, and the interview with Cary and the Paisano crew in the features section a while back, I was intrigued by the prospect of Paisano putting out a more grassroots magazine aimed at "this crowd" rather than the fat-tire yuppies.

Somehow, I connected that with "Hopper (http://hoppermag.com/magazine/features)" magazine, and assumed that was the online version of what would become the new Paisano rag. But then I find out that Cary Brobeck left "Hopper" to pursue "other opportunities" (I am assuming the gig at Paisano).

So Cary, will this new mag ("Wrench"? Really?) have some of the same vibe as Hopper? I liked a lot of the features and photos there, and it would be nice to see something with a Dice / GKM / Show Class vibe but in a full-size glossy format (of course, Jeff Holt may have beaten you too it with the way he has turned Street Chopper around in the last year or so - seems to be on to something).

At any rate, good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing it!

Redd1
05-27-2012, 7:58 AM
I was going to suggest wrenched, wrenched.com is available.

oldmansporty63
05-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Throttle Jockey magazine
throttlejockeymagazine.com.
is not taken.

its taken in canada as a blog.

KurseD
05-27-2012, 12:48 PM
call it...

CHOP

Bandersnatch
05-28-2012, 1:09 AM
Wrench? Ugh.
The Pen Fifteen Club has a better ring to it.

Scoots/ A mag for chopper enthusiasts.

irishrich317
05-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Ah yes, the Paisano Publication "mirror magazines". Whatever is popular, and somebody else broke the ground on, let's jump on somebody else's bandwagon and siphon their readership off with our own duplicate publication. We're just like Harley-Davidson, we can let everybody else do our development work, then repackage it and give it back to a ready-made audience......

Street Rodder is big? Let's do American Rodder
Skin and Ink is big? Let's do Tattoo
Biker Lifestyle is big? Let's do Biker Magazine
Car Kulture Deluxe is big? Let's do Rebel Rods
The Horse is big, Street Chopper is coming back in a big way, and Dice, Greasy Kulture, and Show Class are selling? Let's do Wrench

"Let's go back and do the format we pioneered 42 years ago that we should have stuck with all along, instead of blowing those original readers off by chasing and squeezing the last "lifestyle" buck from the RUBS and the Rolex Riders, who we know we're loosing now because they're are buying retirement condos, motor homes, and luxury sedans, instead of our stuff. When those readers disappear completely, we'll merge Wrench into Easyriders, kill that title, and be right back where we started from 4 decades ago. We might even put the SS bolts back on the gas tank of the Ghostrider prints again! "

Bleah.........

cHiCoD
05-28-2012, 12:26 PM
its just a blog...who cares.
lol!

Rubman
05-28-2012, 4:32 PM
So I've been working with the old guys over at Easyriders Mag for about a year now and have convinced them to let me put out a new chopper mag for them. I had planned to put out a Japanese style magazine but was told it would cost way to much to print 100,000 high end "photo books" . So what I decided to do was just put out an original Easyriders style mag. No studio shoots, no show bikes, no goofy layouts with hard to read text; just a plain ol' easy to read magazine. Having access to the archives of a mag that has been around since 1971 and the photographers and artist I have on board will make for a pretty fuckin rad magazine.

The only problem I am having is coming up with the name, seems as though every god damn .com is taken. I'm open for suggestions, and if I use the name I'll make sure you get a subscription and some other cool shit that is lying around the office.

hire me. that is all.

Guy
05-30-2012, 2:07 PM
Ah yes, the Paisano Publication "mirror magazines". Whatever is popular, and somebody else broke the ground on, let's jump on somebody else's bandwagon and siphon their readership off with our own duplicate publication. We're just like Harley-Davidson, we can let everybody else do our development work, then repackage it and give it back to a ready-made audience......

The Horse is big, Street Chopper is coming back in a big way, and Dice, Greasy Kulture, and Show Class are selling? Let's do Wrench

"Let's go back and do the format we pioneered 42 years ago that we should have stuck with all along, instead of blowing those original readers off by chasing and squeezing the last "lifestyle" buck from the RUBS and the Rolex Riders, who we know we're loosing now because they're are buying retirement condos, motor homes, and luxury sedans, instead of our stuff. When those readers disappear completely, we'll merge Wrench into Easyriders, kill that title, and be right back where we started from 4 decades ago. We might even put the SS bolts back on the gas tank of the Ghostrider prints again! "

Bleah.........

Ha ha... nice one Rich!

jluck27
05-30-2012, 2:13 PM

Bleah.........

Perfectly said!!!

MadRiverMoCo
07-20-2012, 10:12 AM
It's still $10 bucks for 5 issues...
Really cant go wrong with that...

ridemore16
07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
its just a blog...who cares.
lol!

No, this is going to be a quarterly print mag from what I've heard. Hence the well written response by Irish Rich.

MrBoh
07-20-2012, 1:49 PM

Bleah.........

Rich I think you summed it up perfectly man! Support your Independent Magazines! They bust ass for their own mag while the ass for every seat publishers prey on the market share of the scene created from a labor of love not profits and product placement.

Scouser
07-20-2012, 7:36 PM
I will just stick with DICE and GKM,
At least the writers owners ride the bikes i am into?
Scouser

79kz400
07-20-2012, 7:59 PM
Burnout magazine

brobeck
07-22-2012, 9:45 PM

Bleah.........

Good points Rich, but lets not forget about Easyriders. If you look at any issue of Dice, GK or any other indy mag you will find early Easyriders in all of them. Shit, most of the "cool guy" chopper party fliers and teeshirts are images taken right from the mag itself. I still cherish the 70's and 80's Easyriders I inherited from my pops and I am using them for inspiration with the new mag. Wrench may not be the coolest name and I may not be one of the cool bar hopping chopper kids but I have been working my ass of on this mag and I think it will show. Easyriders took a big chance on me, I am not a magazine guy, I'm just a regular ol dude who likes to ride as much and as far as I can, when I can.

ARBY
07-23-2012, 6:19 AM
Good points Rich, but lets not forget about Easyriders. If you look at any issue of Dice, GK or any other indy mag you will find early Easyriders in all of them. Shit, most of the "cool guy" chopper party fliers and teeshirts are images taken right from the mag itself. I still cherish the 70's and 80's Easyriders I inherited from my pops and I am using them for inspiration with the new mag. Wrench may not be the coolest name and I may not be one of the cool bar hopping chopper kids but I have been working my ass of on this mag and I think it will show. Easyriders took a big chance on me, I am not a magazine guy, I'm just a regular ol dude who likes to ride as much and as far as I can, when I can.

Don't listen to the whiners. Build the chopper mag. Follow the dream.

MadRiverMoCo
07-23-2012, 9:25 AM

Those who doubt you will be your biggest supporters when you prove them wrong - good luck with this last push - just stoked for another magazine with cool bikes and a home spun vibe...

HumblePie68
07-23-2012, 9:35 AM
that other chopper rag.com

cHiCoD
07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
No, this is going to be a quarterly print mag from what I've heard. Hence the well written response by Irish Rich.

my response was not about the magazine itself. it was about the names i came up with.
someone said one of the names was used in a blog. i said who cares.
i look forward to the zine.
im burnt out on most of the zines that are out there.

hammey13
07-26-2012, 3:18 PM
I bit, I figured 10 bucks isnt bad to check out the first five issues.
Good luck with the new mag

NeoDutch
07-26-2012, 11:25 PM
There already is a Euro based A5 magazine called Wrench. Lasted 1 or 2 issues.

Taint
07-26-2012, 11:25 PM
It's pronounced "God's Cock".

avastyematey
07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I bit, I figured 10 bucks isnt bad to check out the first five issues.
Good luck with the new mag

where's the sign up for that deal?

cHiCoD
07-27-2012, 11:52 AM
^^^ what he said.
whats the deal?
where can we get this zine?

muttblbc
07-28-2012, 12:22 PM
sergeant lepers falling parts club brand.

hammey13
08-02-2012, 3:27 PM
where's the sign up for that deal?

https://www.neodata.com/paisano/wrnz/subscribe.shtml

SICKLEBOY
09-24-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm no expert on content and control but one thing that really fucks me off is the whole "we dont ride the safe way ...cuz we're to cool and tuff to care!!!!!! " reality garage fake hard ass shit lol
Like the stupid stories from rebel rods and that other hot rod fake a billy magazine , I find it insulting to the reader and too moronic to take seriously.
I guess what I'm trying to say is cool it with the exclamation points and in your face comments it seems like pandering to readers that are clueless, Dig?
Also, black and white is not as much fun as color ( see pleasantville lol)
What did I like ?
The feature bikes were cool, and not all Harley ads...the interviews were an intresting mix of folks too.I could easily find myself picking up another issue as long as the magazine strays from pages of assholes making tuff guy faces because they have a tattoo or an old gas tank .
These are real bikes from real folks like you or yer neighbor...and if he spoke to me like the voice on monster garage I would think he was an asshole , wouldn't you ?
Good luck with all your hard work ...

glitterfist
04-15-2013, 5:14 AM

Bleah.........

So I guess I can't count on you for an interview then Rich? :cheersmate: lol It was great to see you this weekend. :p