PDA

View Full Version : panhead style horseshoe tank fittings? wtf

easyspeed
04-12-2012, 8:43 AM
I have an aftermarket chrome horseshoe style oil tank. I'm getting ready to plumb up the lines and would like to run s.s. hardlines with flare fittings on them. Now I'm trying to figure out which dam fittings go on this tank. The dem's on the male end coming from the tank are roughly : 9/16" OD, x 24 ipm. I've been seeing these can take a 6 AN fitting, but I had a 6 flare fitting and the thread count looks different and the OD seems to be a bit small.

Any ideas? Is there a difference between normal flare fittings and AN fittings?

like this only chrome:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/2/3/5/0/4/webimg/504061951_o.jpg

easyspeed
04-12-2012, 5:30 PM
So this has 9/16" x 24 tpi. Any idea where to find the hardware. Looks to be the same style repop that lowbrow has. Anybody have an idea?

tobiism
04-12-2012, 6:15 PM
look at the V-twin catalog, they're probably in there.

easyspeed
04-12-2012, 8:23 PM
Ahhh good call, so far I've come p with this VT No: 40-9975 . Looks right but there are no specs I can find as far as tpi and od.

HotSnotRocket
04-12-2012, 9:24 PM
You need some Nipple Nuts!

You can flare your lines at 45 degrees and when you tighten them down they're work fine. On my '57 Pan I had to make all new lines. You can buy 3/8" steel brake tubing and bend your own lines. I used a Rigid 3/8" bender and it worked like a Champ. I don't want to complicate the lines but I used a swaging tool and made the lines a little larger where the nuts fit the steel line better. It's not necessary.

Most any of the CCMP (Cheap Chinese Motorcycle Parts) has the Nipple Nuts. To my knowledge there's nothing else that will work on the early oil tanks.

That's a nice Oil tank!

http://www.retrocycle.com/images/vtwin/40-9975.jpg

Ahhh good call, so far I've come p with this VT No: 40-9975 . Looks right but there are no specs I can find as far as tpi and od.

Yep, those are the ones. If you Google the number they come up from several suppliers.

easyspeed
04-13-2012, 6:14 AM
Thanks a ton, I was hoping those would work. Guess I'll give them a shot.

HotSnotRocket
04-13-2012, 6:53 AM
Thanks a ton, I was hoping those would work. Guess I'll give them a shot.

The originals were not Chrome but in CCPM the Chrome ones are Cheaper than Black! I've ever flared SS line. Go easy with it and it should flare fine.

Also... I normally bend my lines totally by sight but if you want to make it easier, get a Cheap Ass Chinese Coat Hanger (yea, you knew is was coming) and bend it as a pattern.

(My original '57 Tank was Chrome but I Painted it BLACK!)

easyspeed
04-13-2012, 8:45 AM
Very cool hot snot. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, I also have access to a hydrolic flare tool. and miles of scrap s.s. We will see how it goes I guess. Did you run a remote oil filter off of the return line? Or just return back to the pump?

Happy Friday the 13th! :cheersmate: