PDA

View Full Version : HD dealers lying to customers???

garco
12-13-2009, 6:12 PM
Anyone on here have issues with there local Harley dealers telling new bike customers that they have to bring there bikes back to the dealer to be serviced or it will void the warranty? As well as telling them that if they put on any aftermarket parts (AKA any shit not available form there P & A catalog) it also voids the warranty??
Just curious if this was an issue with my local dealers only..??

Nicko
12-13-2009, 6:25 PM
to death already....

REV
12-13-2009, 6:26 PM
to death already....

agreed. nicko, where you from btw?

Nicko
12-13-2009, 6:31 PM
Home of the USMC.....

garco
12-13-2009, 6:33 PM
to death already....

My bad. Must have missed it.

kromsucks
12-13-2009, 6:37 PM
nope u aint the only one, all harley dealers suck

JohnnyWolf
12-13-2009, 6:37 PM
I'll say it again...

"This is CHOP CULT"

"CHOP" Cult

We don't give a fuck what they do at the dealers.

I have "issues" with seeing this kind of shit on a "CHOP" forum.

These kinds of topics are better suited for:

http://www.hdforums.com/

http://xlforum.net

jonnyrtn
12-13-2009, 6:50 PM
^^^^^^^ Well said... if you are that naive, you are in the wrong place.

Stolen from web.

Oct 26, 2009 ... ChopCult.com is a place where guys who build and ride custom motorcycles can share ideas, facts, opinions and photographs in an open.....

garco
12-13-2009, 6:51 PM
I'll say it again...

"This is CHOP CULT"

"CHOP" Cult

Dont get you pantys in a wad. It was just a question. I didnt know this had already been hit on. besides it seems like theres alot of folks ridin the new model sportys on this forum so i figured it would be a legitimate question.

Toecutterp
12-13-2009, 6:59 PM
Here we go again

Pantsbeer
12-13-2009, 8:55 PM
I'll say it again...

"This is CHOP CULT"

"CHOP" Cult

So all the people that are just trying to do what they can with what they got dont belong on here? Cause not everyone has the means to get a bike and chop it all up and hartail it and do all kinds of custom shit. Some guys need the reliability of the newer bikes but are trying to make them cool but need help with some of it. This site is for people to ask all questions related to there bikes. I dont get the snoby attitudes in this scene sometimes. Theres lots of bikes I hate out there but atleast there riding.

crass
12-13-2009, 9:25 PM
Harley-Davidson dealers are good for fucking you in the ass
if you're the kind of guy that likes that you can go to them and buy a bike

the pusher is a monster

JohnnyWolf
12-14-2009, 12:02 AM
So all the people that are just trying to do what they can with what they got dont belong on here? Cause not everyone has the means to get a bike and chop it all up and hartail it and do all kinds of custom shit. Some guys need the reliability of the newer bikes but are trying to make them cool but need help with some of it. This site is for people to ask all questions related to there bikes. I dont get the snoby attitudes in this scene sometimes. Theres lots of bikes I hate out there but atleast there riding.

I never said anything about them "not belonging here"...??? You took that out of context. There are other places where people love to talk about their experiences (good or bad) at the dealer, and I listed them.

This is the place where they should be if they want to modify their bikes, to find out how it's done so they can do it themselves, or to network someone who can for a reasonable price.

I'm sure I speak for most here when I say we come to CC get away from the "same ol' same ol'" and the topic of this thread fits the "same ol' same ol".

I too don't understand the attitudes I've experienced in this scene, keep in mind I ride a "girls bike" not a "period correct" chop.

Sawbones
12-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Anyway garco, you probably get the point by now. Most of the people around here, if they ever had a warranty, voided it as soon as they got the bike in their own garage. It may seem risky to some, but a great source of pride in the chopper community comes from the fact that there's no safety net there for you if you damage your machine. You go it alone and learn from your mistakes. Hopefully there will be some good folks along the way to help you out if you get stuck. If you're asking this question because of a bike you own, I'd recommend voiding the fuck out of that warranty.

ChoppyGee
12-14-2009, 12:34 AM
What If its a tired subject and you're tired of it and all that bullshit. you don't have to be a dick, just don't respond. Simple as that. Garco was just asking a question and you guys turned it into hostility. I come to CC to get away from people being assholes instead of helpful, I suppose i was mistaken this was that place. Seriously you didn't have to say anything. He would have gotten then idea anyhow. Furthermore you didn't weld every tube or machine every part. Everyone starts out with a platform somepeople start out with newer and possibily brand new machines. When you pay that kind of money for your brand new platform its nice to know the warranty that comes with it will help out especially if its something beyond what you're willing to spend to repair it. hows it any different complaining about service from MOCO than complaining about the service of a small grassroots chopper products company? Its fucking not any different and yet on the few threads talking about a small fab shop that wasn't up to snuff on here there's no one bitching about its already been said.
Just because you don't want to talk about it doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. This is CHOPCULT. CHOP as in CHOPPERS as in MOTORCYCLES. CULT as in a group of devote people fanatical about anything and everything pertaining to a certain belief or life style. pretty sure this is about MOTORCYCLES. which is more relevant than alot of other shit on here. Settle down, Live and let live.

Oh yeah and allThis kind of douchery is better suited for:
jockeyjournal.com

crass
12-14-2009, 12:38 AM
wahh whh wahh just put the stake in thread's coffin

ChoppyGee
12-14-2009, 12:42 AM
This thread is a Vampire? Deep Crass, very deep..;)

JohnnyWolf
12-14-2009, 12:45 AM
LMFAO, there's only one person who's gettin' "hostile" here.

crass
12-14-2009, 12:48 AM
of course the dealerl is gonna want to fuck you for putting a custom part on your bike
theyre barely makiin enough money selling bikes they have to sell fucking shoes

youre buying a motorcycle from a company (oten times a store) that sells shoes
..think about it for a second

RockinRyan
12-14-2009, 2:19 AM
What If its a tired subject and you're tired of it and all that bullshit. you don't have to be a dick, just don't respond. Simple as that. Garco was just asking a question and you guys turned it into hostility. I come to CC to get away from people being assholes instead of helpful, I suppose i was mistaken this was that place. Seriously you didn't have to say anything. He would have gotten then idea anyhow. Furthermore you didn't weld every tube or machine every part. Everyone starts out with a platform somepeople start out with newer and possibily brand new machines. When you pay that kind of money for your brand new platform its nice to know the warranty that comes with it will help out especially if its something beyond what you're willing to spend to repair it. hows it any different complaining about service from MOCO than complaining about the service of a small grassroots chopper products company? Its fucking not any different and yet on the few threads talking about a small fab shop that wasn't up to snuff on here there's no one bitching about its already been said.
Just because you don't want to talk about it doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. This is CHOPCULT. CHOP as in CHOPPERS as in MOTORCYCLES. CULT as in a group of devote people fanatical about anything and everything pertaining to a certain belief or life style. pretty sure this is about MOTORCYCLES. which is more relevant than alot of other shit on here. Settle down, Live and let live.

Oh yeah and allThis kind of douchery is better suited for:
jockeyjournal.com

Amen. If you guys don't like a topic then don't post in it. Let it fade away into the abyss. Remember, every post you make moves a thread right back up to the front page. (crap, I guess I just did that. Oh well...)

Now, on topic:
Having worked at a dealership for several years, they do tend to mislead customers into believing that having services performed elsewhere or by yourself could void your warranty (key word in the fine print being "could"). I know at my dealership we never told people that aftermarket parts would void a warranty though. Too much money to be made on installation. I worked in parts, so I could care less about voided warranties or anything else that could ruin my sale. I guess it really just depends on the dealership you go to.

Pantsbeer
12-14-2009, 2:52 AM
Hey bro my bad it sounded like you were being one of those arogant pricks. Ive come across alot of people like that and not just on motorcycle boards. It's annoying. I agree with choppy I just dont see the point in saying something if you dont care about the subject. Let people ask questions and get help. If you dont care about it and think it's stupid then leave it alone and it will die. On that note let this die.

BlueCollarMoto
12-14-2009, 4:25 AM
Change your own oil. The factory will try and screw the filter on backwards. Wont work. They will only fuck up your bike! MMI grad's have been seen trying to install trannys backwards. (dont get but hurt. I didnt say all of them MMI grads!) FTF and FTW!

revmike
12-14-2009, 7:29 AM
Anyone on here have issues with there local Harley dealers telling new bike customers that they have to bring there bikes back to the dealer to be serviced or it will void the warranty? As well as telling them that if they put on any aftermarket parts (AKA any shit not available form there P & A catalog) it also voids the warranty??
Just curious if this was an issue with my local dealers only..??
To answer the question, this is from Harley's web site. If you have a question, I would direct it to the dealership
"The installation of non-Harley-Davidson or Buell parts or accessories could void all or part of the motorcycle's manufacturer's limited warranty."

~Rev Mike

BobT
12-14-2009, 8:31 PM
junk pile anyone?

tobiism
12-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Those are scare tactics, those warranty requirements are illegal under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. They cannot enforce those demands, and rely on consumer ignorance to bring them back en masse to have their service work done and buy HD brand parts at the dealer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

gravelveins
12-14-2009, 11:05 PM
people gettin pissy... you can learn a hella of a lot from the JJ...don't be hatin.

PUT THAT JUNK IN THAT TRUNK!

welcome to the cult garco

2cents!
peace out!

revmike
12-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Have we come to the END of this thread YET?

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/Stykyn/4848_image.jpg

swellguy
12-15-2009, 9:52 AM
"The installation of non-Harley-Davidson or Buell parts or accessories could void all or part of the motorcycle's manufacturer's limited warranty."To finally answer the guy's question. Some of you might want to kill this type of thread but what dealerships do seem as relevant here as do threads about the 883 Iron or a Nightster.

revmike
12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
To finally answer the guy's question. Some of you might want to kill this type of thread but what dealerships do seem as relevant here as do threads about the 883 Iron or a Nightster.
In all seriousness, I debated getting deeper into this. I originally, like you, supported the question. But in all honesty, there are a number of stock HD forums where warranty issues are covered quite well. I don't think there is anything wrong with this kind of post, but it should be way more specific, such as "I'm installing a Brand X cam on my 2008 sportster will that void my warranty?". I'm sure there are people that would answer it, because we have sales and service guys from dealerships on here.

But, the fact is those other boards are BETTER places to get that info. And the SIMPLE fact is YES, the MoCo's warranty is a LIMITED warranty, which means they can tell you what might void their warranty. Which is only fair. If you install a Baker tranny and 3 weeks later your primary fails, is that because of HD quality or workmanship? Or, is it Baker, or is it YOU? If you go to Johnny's Garage and they screw the filter on backwards, don't take it to the dealership and expect THEM to make it right. Things like that only make sense, but at the end of the day, the only one who can really answer the question is the dealer where you would take it for warranty service after you busted the bike's cherry....

I don't think anyone should get flamed for asking a question. Someone just needs to say, here is a better place to look and then PM them some friendly guidance and post PM sent. And everyone else needs to just let it die.

The best way to police inappropriate posts is one gentle reminder and everyone else letting it die. If 100 people are commenting on it, maybe it IS pertinent to CC.

And by flaming, I am not referring to THIS thread, I'm referring to threads in general.

~Rev Mike

swellguy
12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
In all seriousness, I debated getting deeper into this. I originally, like you, supported the question. But in all honesty, there are a number of stock HD forums where warranty issues are covered quite well. I don't think there is anything wrong with this kind of post, but it should be way more specific, such as "I'm installing a Brand X cam on my 2008 sportster will that void my warranty?". I'm sure there are people that would answer it, because we have sales and service guys from dealerships on here.

But, the fact is those other boards are BETTER places to get that info. And the SIMPLE fact is YES, the MoCo's warranty is a LIMITED warranty, which means they can tell you what might void their warranty. Which is only fair. If you install a Baker tranny and 3 weeks later your primary fails, is that because of HD quality or workmanship? Or, is it Baker, or is it YOU? If you go to Johnny's Garage and they screw the filter on backwards, don't take it to the dealership and expect THEM to make it right. Things like that only make sense, but at the end of the day, the only one who can really answer the question is the dealer where you would take it for warranty service after you busted the bike's cherry....

I don't think anyone should get flamed for asking a question. Someone just needs to say, here is a better place to look and then PM them some friendly guidance and post PM sent. And everyone else needs to just let it die.

The best way to police inappropriate posts is one gentle reminder and everyone else letting it die. If 100 people are commenting on it, maybe it IS pertinent to CC.

And by flaming, I am not referring to THIS thread, I'm referring to threads in general.

~Rev MikeThe other thing to recall is that what constitutes "warranty service" is sometimes (or often) a dealership call, in many instances what a dealer thinks they might be able to pass off to the higher ups. I specifically recall a friend purchasing a set of Kuryakn bullet signals from the dealer and installing them on his new Springer. Shortly thereafter the wires were crushed by the fork stop tabs. During the bike's first service, the dealer cleaned up and rewired them and passed it off as warranty work.

But you're right, other forums will cover someone's "new "relationship with HD better than we will.

garco
12-15-2009, 5:06 PM
I really didnt mean to stir up all of this. I own a bike shop and the only reason i posted the question was to let people that have been told this by there dealer know that it isnt true. I know that the majority of folks on CC do all there own maintenance but there are probably quite a few that dont. Myself not knowing that this had already been brought too light wouldnt have posted this issue if i knew it had been. So regardless my only purpose in the post was to let people know that they can have there service done by an independent shop or do there service themselves without effecting the warranty. Sooooooo lets put a fork in it.

Garagecompanycustoms.com
Haints69.blogspot.com

REV
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Some of you might want to kill this type of thread but what dealerships do seem as relevant here as do threads about the 883 Iron or a Nightster.

so if someone went out and bought a plain brand new 2010 sportster and started chopping it, not one of those you mentioned, theyre more welcome on this site than those with irons or nightsters? is that what im reading there?

Konaboy1972
12-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Confucius says "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." "Respect is the most valuable gift we can give to each other".

JesusChrist
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
says "man who go to bed with itchy butthole wake up with stinky finger".

clay
12-16-2009, 1:30 PM
waaaaaahhhhhhh! the dealer lied to me! the cops lied to me! my ol lady lied to me! i thought you were my friend!

shanebo
12-16-2009, 5:52 PM
I build custom motorcycles.
Some of them are choppers.
Some of them are not.
I use lots of factory parts on custom bikes.
Front ends, wheels, brakes, etc.
Most of you do, too.
Know why?
Cause it fucking works.
And it has worked for over 100 years.
Any of you hacks been building motorcycles that long?
Yeah, we've all had problems with the HD dealers.
I've had just as many problems with the junk that comes from V-twin, Drag, etc.
Not to mention some of the posers on random forums claiming to be "chopper builders".

If you don't occasionally have to go to a dealer, you aren't building bikes.
You are playing with toys.
Enjoy your DNA springer, Vietnamese tires, and AutoZone fluids.

There are other forums to discuss being a douchebag, too.
2 cents.

ditto
12-16-2009, 6:00 PM
harley is a car dealership for fucksake - nobody gets pissed when toyota says you gotta bring back to them or wonders why the saturn dealer is a fucking slimedick - why would a 2 wheel car salesmen be held to any higher standard?

of course they will lie to you to bring as much money into their pocket as possible - it is how naive you are to beleive or get offended or take what they say to fucking heart thats truly retarded

they aint yer buddy pal or brother no matter how much they say it to you while your signing on the dotted

KawiDave
12-16-2009, 6:23 PM
Why hasn't this thread made it to the junk pile yet?

Konaboy1972
12-17-2009, 10:14 AM
I build custom motorcycles.
Some of them are choppers.
Some of them are not.
I use lots of factory parts on custom bikes.
Front ends, wheels, brakes, etc.
Most of you do, too.
Know why?
Cause it fucking works.
And it has worked for over 100 years.
Any of you hacks been building motorcycles that long?
Yeah, we've all had problems with the HD dealers.
I've had just as many problems with the junk that comes from V-twin, Drag, etc.
Not to mention some of the posers on random forums claiming to be "chopper builders".

If you don't occasionally have to go to a dealer, you aren't building bikes.
You are playing with toys.
Enjoy your DNA springer, Vietnamese tires, and AutoZone fluids.

There are other forums to discuss being a douchebag, too.
2 cents.

Can I get an amen my brothers? The truth has been spoken!!!!!